• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US House Sparrow collapse? (1 Viewer)

thedipper_hk

United States
RareBirdAlert UK story on US House Sparrows cites a new study by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology based on FeederWatch data that suggests a collapse in the population of the invasive House Sparrow. The full study is reportedly published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology. I haven't gone digging for it yet, but was curious if US backyard birders and others had noticed anything like this.

Findings for the U.S. and Canada:
  • Winter flocks in urban areas were larger than flocks in rural areas.
  • House Sparrows declined in urban areas but remained stable in rural areas.
  • The study found that declines in House Sparrow populations were no greater when Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawks were also present.
  • From 1995 to 2016, the proportion of FeederWatch sites reporting House Sparrows declined by 7.5% and mean flock sizes declined by 22%.

I live in rural Prince Edward Island, Canada (Anne of Green Gables country). I used to be plagued by flocks of House Sparrows cleaning out all of my bird feeders but haven't seen one now for probably 5 years. I must also explain that all bird species visiting my feeders are down in numbers compared to 10 years ago.

I have anecdotally heard the same thing for over a decade. House Sparrows however are still ubiquitous anywhere in the US with human settlements, so I wouldn't at all consider it a collapse exactly.

I've been in this house in Bremerton Washington for three Winters now. I was very happy that for the previous two, I had only the occasional House Sparrow. This Winter I have a regular flock of twenty or so. Along with the irruption of Pine Siskins.

I would be shocked if house sparrows were in a substantial decline in the United States. Here in the the U.S. Midwest (Iowa), house sparrows are doing very well. This is from my observations from my suburban location backyard bird feeder and travels about the area. Personally, I wish there was such a decline as house sparrows have long ago driven native cavity nesting birds like the eastern bluebird and purple martins from most nesting locations in towns.

On a side note, I have noticed less European Starlings around. But as with house sparrows, you'll see huge flocks of starlings at most farms that raise livestock where both species thrive on spilled grain.

I would be shocked if house sparrows were in a substantial decline in the United States. Here in the the U.S. Midwest (Iowa), house sparrows are doing very well. This is from my observations from my suburban location backyard bird feeder and travels about the area. Personally, I wish there was such a decline as house sparrows have long ago driven native cavity nesting birds like the eastern bluebird and purple martins from most nesting locations in towns.

On a side note, I have noticed less European Starlings around. But as with house sparrows, you'll see huge flocks of starlings at most farms that raise livestock where both species thrive on spilled grain.
You can still have an overall decline in a species while it being still common. I know Christmas bird count data does show a population decline in areas. I suspect rural populations might be harder hit than urban ones. At least anectdotally, House Sparrows seem much more dependent on civilization than say....Starlings. I really never see House Sparrows away from human habitations (although when I do I see a lot).

I have a flock of 20 plus in the winter months but they tend to disperse in the spring. I stop feeding millet seed about now as well to discourage them from hanging around and evicting Bluebirds and Chickadee's from the nest boxes. If I find them nest building I'll remove it so if there is a decline I'm partly to blame.

RareBirdAlert UK story on US House Sparrows cites a new study by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology based on FeederWatch data that suggests a collapse in the population of the invasive House Sparrow. The full study is reportedly published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology. I haven't gone digging for it yet, but was curious if US backyard birders and others had noticed anything like this.
I haven't noticed a decrease in them in my area. If they do decline, though, it might help other species. I can't hate them for following their nature, but the way they kill other species is brutal.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back