• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verano BGA VHD vs Cabela’s Guide Series 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Upland

I received my new Verano’s yesterday and have been traveling around the valley today comparing them to my guide series (aka Leupold BX3 Mojave). I was expecting to say a great difference based on the reviews here. However I find them much more Similar than expected. Indeed the only noticeable difference in optics is that the Verano is better than the Guide at CA. This is to be expected since the Verano has ED glass and the guide does not. They spec out nearly identically and are nearly the same in size and weight. The only difference in build is the Guide has a more sophisticated locking diopter on the focus wheel. The Verano has the standard friction ring adjuster on the right barrel. Both are made in Japan and so similar I suspect they are made by the same manufacturer. The Guide (Leupold BX3) has been replaced by the Leupold BX4 Pro Guide 8x32. It has nearly identical specs as the Verano and also has ED glass. I would therefore expect its optics to be nearly identical to the Verano. It also has the center locking diopter which is a very nice feature. It is about $60 more retail than the Verano and the diopter may be the reason why. The Verano is very nice but I was expecting more out of it and will be returning it. If I feel the need to upgrade the Guides, I’ll either try to find a good deal on a pair of BX4s (for the ED glass only) or have to spend more money. I have compared my Guides to many 8x32s and am quite amazed how good they are. Especially since I bought them for less than $100 when they were being closed out!

I tried the BX-4 8x32 a while back this year. It has a high quality image and a nice focuser (quick and smooth).
It's a very nice binocular at its price point. You probably don't need to upgrade from your BX-3, but if you do
decide to go up to the BX-4 you'll get an excellent bino case too. I really liked the Leupold case that came with the BX-4.

Looks like I need to visit the Leupold section of this forum! Thanks for the comparison. I've never bothered to consider Leupold. And 8x30/8x32 is a favorite segment of binoculars for me. I'm thrilled with my UVHD+, but always interested in learning if there are mid-priced offerings that can begin to approach Ultravid HD+ quality.

I recently purchased the Verano VHD and found it to be an excellent purchase for the $. I have never viewed a Leupold so can’t comment. Now in my thinking, while the Verano doesn’t compete optically with the Meostar’s , MHD etc… I feel it competes very well within that Maven group and in my mind, tops that class segment. After reading several reviews on the Verano, their reviews are not surprising, and I fall in line with their thinking. I am bound for Australia ( being a parent of a family there, they are letting us in now), the Verano is one of two binoculars that are going with me to bird down there. Jim

They are letting you in, will they let you out?
That's my worry. I needed a special permit to get into Victoria, the regular Visa...I had to prove I was a parent to my daughter and needed a special waiver and I need several COVID tests plus be quarantined for 72 hours at her residence. Yes, will they let me out is the question!!!! But the good news is that I will have my bins with me, in case I need to do some birding, jim

Just want to say....my Verano 8x32' are my 'go-to' bins in Australia. My daughter and grandkids are there and when I am in Aussie....the 'land down under' .... I trust these Verano's, they are 'that' good. Now, don't get me wrong...they are not my Leica's.... but they do 'just fine' and for the cost, they do BETTER than just fine. Verano's or Travelers, you can't go wrong.... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back