• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vero Vellini Leather Neck Strap (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

For some time, I've asked if anyone has any opinion on the Vero Vellini padded leather neckstrap. Silencio. Nada. Bupkis. My wife saw me looking at it online and took it from there. I got one for Christmas. Here goes.

a) It's expensive;
b) It's very well made;
c) It looks great;
d) It's made in Germany; and
e) With myCarl Zeiss Victory FL 8x42, it feels as if the weight were cut in half (truly).

No, it's not for Pete Dunne-style over-the-shoulder bandolier wear... it goes around the neck.

Moreover, it's relatively short. That means it positions the binoculars just a feather above mid-chest. Good for guys like me who don't like to have their binoculars at belt level and don't like to have to cut and burn the ends of factory straps to shorten them.

For those unfamiliar.... I pulled the photo below off of the Internet.

Best,
Mike

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
For some time, I've asked if anyone has any opinion on the Vero Vellini padded leather neckstrap. Silencio. Nada. Bupkis. My wife saw me looking at it online and took it from there. I got one for Christmas. Here goes.

a) It's expensive;
b) It's very well made;
c) It looks great;
d) It's made in Germany; and
e) With myCarl Zeiss Victory FL 8x42, it feels as if the weight were cut in half (truly).

No, it's not for Pete Dunne-style over-the-shoulder bandolier wear... it goes around the neck.

Moreover, it's relatively short. That means it positions the binoculars just a feather above mid-chest. Good for guys like me who don't like to have their binoculars at belt level and don't like to have to cut and burn the ends of factory straps to shorten them.

For those unfamiliar.... I pulled the photo below off of the Internet.

Best,
Mike
I like to fold my binocular strap up and put it in my binocular case which means the strap has to fold up compact enough to fit in often times a case that doesn't have a lot of room. Would you say this strap will fold up as compact as the foam padded Verro Vellini or would it take more room in the binocular case. How about perspiration? Does it seem to cause you to perspire any more than the padded strap? I have looked at these many times but they seem like they would be bigger and heavier than the foam strap. How about weight? An advantage of the foam straps is that they won't slip on your neck and the rubber absorbs shock keeping your binoculars from bouncing. How are these for bounce and slipping?

Last edited:
I like to fold my binocular strap up and put it in my binocular case which means the strap has to fold up compact enough to fit in often times a case that doesn't have a lot of room. Would you say this strap will fold up as compact as the foam padded Verro Vellini or would it take more room in the binocular case. How about perspiration? Does it seem to cause you to perspire any more than the padded strap? I have looked at these many times but they seem like they would be bigger and heavier than the foam strap. How about weight?

It won't fold and fit into the case supplied by Zeiss for the aforementioned binoculars (even with eyecups retracted fully).

Despite the fact that it was 67 degrees here in Connecticut on Christmas day, the temperatures are a little more seasonable now (high of 43 today), so no sweat test has been performed.

Lastly, I held the original foam strap in one hand and the VV in the other and the difference in weigh appeared to be minor (I'll pull out the old postage scale if you insist). The point here is that the slight extra weight of the strap is more than made up for by the way it distributes its weight and the weight of the binoculars on one's neck and shoulders.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back