• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very Sad News ... Song Sparrow Mini-Maurice (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Our dear mini-Maurice, the Song Sparrow, has died over night. He had been bright, happy, playful in the days before and as always loved a good soaking bath after eating. He was unable to fly because of arthritic changes in his wings but was very adept at running and bouncing effortlessly from branch to branch.

He did periodically have seizures which lasted from 3-5 seconds. No doubt this was the result of the initial trauma that brought him to me. We speculate he had a prolonged seizure and died as a result as there were no other health problems. Mini-Maurice was a little round to the end.

I can only imagine he did dream to be able to fly. To one day be free.

From Trans Siberian Orchestra ... "Dreams We Conceive"

In a city
After midnight
Neath the halo
Of a street light
Where the dreams die
As the blood dries
On the wounds we keep hidden from
View

In the safety
Of this darkness
As it hides all
Time has tarnished
The forbidden
Unforgiven
Are we secure here where no-one
Pursues

But the night fades away
And gives way to the day
For what else is the night to do
As the dark steps aside
With the hopes we confide
And never believes
That the dreams we conceived
Would ever
Not ever come true

Is life different
After midnight
With its new dawn
And its new light
Inconsistent
And indifferent
To the things
We were so sure we knew

As you stood there
In the night air
With such beauty
That the stars stared
From their distance
You were different
Like a dream
That no-one could refuse

But the night fades away
And gives way to the day
For what else is
The night to do
As the dark steps aside
With the hopes we confide
And never believes
That the dreams we conceived
Would ever
Not ever come true

As you stand all
Alone at your station
What if God doesn't
Know where you are
As you send out your
Prayers for salvation
But afraid that
They don't go that far

So you wait all
Alone in your darkness
There's a train that drives on
Through the night
And if everyone's
On it except us
Would it return for
That single life

In a city
After midnight
Neath the halo
Of a street light

Don't be afraid my little friend. Your dreams have come true. You are free.

Attachments

• maurice2.jpg
    maurice2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 15
R.i.p.

I am so sorry to hear about mini- maurices' demise but,not surprised. He put up a good fight and, with your help, probably salvaged a fair percentage of a small birds life expectancy.He had his "fifteen minutes of fame"but, it was time to go.
I was proud of your chosen name and feel the same way as I've felt for some of the dogs that I've had.
We all know that you tried you best for a little chap with a big heart but nature has the final word.I can find no humourus ending to thi epistle.

maurice

I'm sorry to hear about your little friend, Lydia. But what lovely words with which to send him on his way. As so often happens, you have done your best for one of our feathered friends, and as Maurice intimated, you extended his life by a relatively long period. Well done you, and here's to the next one, as there will surely be.

Baz.

My dear sweet mini-Maurice!​

He was such a happy fellow! Always so curious! Always observant of anything and everything new about him! He *KNEW* his name!!! He loved his toys!

Why did you leave us?

Why do I put myself through this time and again?!?!?!?​

The ground here is frozen and I am unable to bury him. He is wrapped in a paper towel with a pretty floral pattern. Next to him is a flower from a beautiful African Violet.

We wait to bury you .... dear sweet mini-Maurice. :*(

That is very sad Lydia, but now he is free. If he did dream of flying, well now perhaps he can in another world, and look down over his kind helper.

Best wishes and hugs from me.

Very sad news Lydia

You did a lot to help him though such a lot. :gh:

I am so sorry to hear all about Mini-Maurice, and at Xmas time too.

RIP Mini- Maurice o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

Little Maurice was buried this morning next to our house. ~SIGH~ The birds that shared his room are looking for him! They were always put in their place by the tiny fellow. Now they too are free ... to eat and do whatever without having to basically ask Maurice's permission.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back