• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Virginia finch -- House or Purple or ...? (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Purple for me - straight culmen, purple flanks. But can see it looks a bit odd, I guess the hybrid suggestion needs to be considered seriously.

Seth Miller

No way that's a pure male House Finch. Looks better for Purple to me, but could also be a hybrid as you said.

D Halas

Another vote for Purple Finch that may well have some House Finch ancestry, but definitely not a pure House Finch.

fugl

Looks pretty ‘Purplely’ to me.

Here’s what BNA-online has to say about hybridization. . ..

“Hybridization may occur but requires further study. . . Evidence of intermediate forms between Purple Finch and (its) . . . congeners suggests possible hybridization. . . .Report of a male House Finch consorting with a female Purple Finch and her fledglings in Allegheny Co., NY, . . .and observation of an intermediate morph between a Purple Finch and a House Finch (voice similar in tonal quality but not pattern to House Finch; red coloration in areas typical of House Finch, but rosier and lacking the orange hues typical of House Finch; underparts white and lacking streaks, as is typical of Purple Finch) in Philadelphia, PA”.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread