• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I am hoping to visit Suffolk in mid-May.
Of course Minsmere, Lakenheath Fen will be on the list to visit.

I would like to visit a mix of nature reserves/areas and see new species of butterflies if possible - I have not seen any southern range restricted ones before.

What southern breeder in the area could be a British tick for me - Golden Oriole which I doubt they do anymore?

Any recommendations ?

Hard to answer without knowing what you've already seen, but Dartford Warbler are pretty easy on Dunwich Heath. They have spread onto the beach dunes at Minsmere now but I rarely see them here. It's worth either walking or driving up to Dunwich Heath for a better chance.
Stone Curlews are increasing on the heaths around Minsmere and Westleton and are now fairly easy to see, along with Woodlarks and Nightjars.
On the other side of Minsmere, Black Redstarts can often be seen on the perimeter fence of Sizewell power station - either drive there or have a pleasant walk south along the coast past Minsmere Levels. Nice café on the beach there too.
You should get Hobbies and Cetti's Warblers anywhere in the area, along with the usual Bitterns, Marsh Harriers and Bearded Tits. Possibly Spoonbills or Garganey as well if there are any about.

Lakenheath is also good for Marsh Harriers, Bearded Tits, Hobbies and Cetti's. The viewpoint over the western end is good for flight views of Bitterns and, with a bit of luck, the Cranes might show as well. Golden Orioles, as you say, are long gone now.

In the Brecklands, the stretch of river between Brandon and Santon Downham has some well known Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, but they might be harder to find once they stop drumming. The Otters in the river seem to be unusually bold and tolerant of people, and there are Mandarin Ducks breeding along here too. The Brecks are also good for Hobbies, Nightjars, Woodlarks and Tree Pipits, and Weeting Heath is an obvious place for Stone Curlews.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back