• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Webcam, Zywiec Lake, Poland (1 Viewer)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102-120425_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102-120425_Brave.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Here are 3 photos of a Tit (bottom corner right) which has a pale panel on the wing, so I presume it's a Willow (I got bothered in case I was mistaking Marsh for Willow, being not very familiar with either species to be frank). However I saw another bird earlier which had no pale panel on the wing, so it might be that both species are visiting here. I'll try another search to see if I can find that bird.

Attachments

• Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland -1.jpg
    Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland -1.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 2.jpg
    Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 2.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 3.jpg
    Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 3.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 8
They're tricky though, all the differences being subtle and requiring good, prolonged views, quite difficult for fidgety tits. How about this one?:

Attachments

• Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 4.jpg
    Marsh or Willow Tit, Zywiec, Poland - 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
lol, hard to say: I'm not seeing the pale panel, but the sides of the neck seem mostly clean

slightly leaning Marsh (?) for that one but wouldn't tick it as such; definitely tricky

Attachments

• Broughton2009BritishBirds_MT_WT_id.pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 5
lol, hard to say: I'm not seeing the pale panel, but the sides of the neck seem mostly clean

slightly leaning Marsh (?) for that one but wouldn't tick it as such; definitely tricky
Thanks for that paper. It makes for interesting reading in the British context. One thing I have noticed on the Czech 'Makov' webcam is that continental Willows are much more light mushroom grey on the back than British birds. However on the Polish camera the 'Willow Tits' seem to be rather browner than I expected, though not as much as typical Marsh. Anyway this gives me something to find out more about in the winter period. Not much unusual here in Aberdeen at this time of year. This last two weeks it's rained heavily every day, all day, more or less. And since I have to go outside to smoke, I have now shrunk in the wash to four feet tall.

Cheers; I have the idea to try to study the various call types of Great Tit vs Blue Tit, including 'pip' contact calls, general timbre and other aspects, and generally focus on learning sounds of (common) wintering birds in depth.

EDIT: You can also have some fun ageing:

There's a small party of them that come and go, usually first thing in the morning and at dusk. One actually hoovered up many of the peanuts on the bowl last week. Whether that's unusual or not I wouldn't know. I know next nothing about non-human mammals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back