• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (8 Viewers)

Hi All

Like you have been a little upset that clydebirds stopped reporting bird sightings arund late August but I just checked it a minute ago and the sightings have been updated up to the 18th including many reports of waxwing which we all hope to catch up on this winter. Hope this helps.

cheers Andy

Hi All

Like you have been a little upset that clydebirds stopped reporting bird sightings arund late August but I just checked it a minute ago and the sightings have been updated up to the 18th including many reports of waxwing which we all hope to catch up on this winter. Hope this helps.

cheers Andy

Yes, I noticed this too. I'm amazed at the mount of Waxwings in and around Glasgow. I saw just 4 on Crossloan Road on Sunday

Saw my first waxwings today - 4 of them on the south side of Glasgow. I was on a bus so just had the fleetest of views. That's 3 years in a row I've seen them in the same area.

Just for info, this was in Carmunnock Road, next to a church and not far from a T.A. Centre.

On saturday an Adult winter Glaucous full was reported near dumbarton Castle.
at Sunday I was volunteer at an event on Dumbarton Castle so ofcourse I also tried to find the Glaucous.
Between 3.30 till 4pm seen very nice from Dumbarton Castle.

Also seen: 1 Barnacle goose, 2 red tr divers, 1 Greenshank etc

From the southside of trainstation/Dumbarton 9 Waxwings seen.

Went to Lochwinnoch today. Aird Meadow and most of Barr Loch were frozen. The only open stretches held hundreds of wigeon, whooper swans, mute swans, mallards, tufted ducks and goosanders.

Excellent view of a fieldfare at the feeders, as well as goldcrest, goldfinch, long-tailed tits. Yet again I missed the bramblings.

Still very much a novice and I am not too familiar with good places to go to view.

Looking for some ideas where to go for a day out at this time of year. Hoping to see a good variety of birds ideally withing about a 25 mile radius of East Kilbride.

Any ideas wold be appreciated

decided to go to Baron Haugh, again and to be fair it was good day for me. Normally I tend to see very little of note, nothng I have not seen before, but today was different. A big thank you to the guy at the Marsh hide who spotted the kingfisher and the buzzard. I have seen Kingfisher before but ths was my first buzzard. I saw a buzzard again later in the morning near the causeway hide. I dont normally go to the Marsh hide but glad Idid, numerous ducks and in the trees behind the hide numerous small birds tits, blackbird robin all very close

The haugh itself was frozen and not a great deal there. Most of the swans were gone although as I was leaving a group of around 10 mute did appear.

Also saw numerous Bullfinch, was about to take a great shot of a Bullfinch sitting on a branch when someone came tearing along the path on their bike scared it away. Also saw my first goldfinch, there were about 5 of them, but they flew away fairly quckly

Saw about 50 barnacle geese flying in formation and very noisy as well as about 4 heron

As I was leaving and walking back up the hill from the Marsh hide, just at the information board I stopped to take a photo of the haugh in the last of the light. Took my photo and turned to walk back up the hill and there were a couple of deer in the field to the left. As I had started to walk this spooked them and they ran away fairly quickly. Fist I have also seen a deer in Barons haugh

all in all a good day. Any suggestions for a day trip elsewhere would be appreciated

This is the first report i have done,, my main walking area is along the shore at Ayr and along too the Heads of Ayr.
Today i was mostly at Doonfoot and well the usual gulls were in good numbers.
The Mute Swans were plentiful today and the most i have seen for a while, around 30.
At the mouth of the River Doon on the right hand side there were plenty of Redshank and a few Teal, there was also a couple of Greenshank, walking further along here and the Turnstone were in the usual places here.
I also saw Greenfinch,, GoldFinch and 2 Rock Pipits.
I also saw quite a few Lapwing both in the air and also to the left handside of the bridge that goes over the Doon.
Will give further updates on what i see as i walk this little stretch of coast,, i am quite a novice at this and well my ID skills need to improve.

Good stuff - I love Doonfoot (apart from all the dog walkers!). I really like the harbour area as well - I saw an otter there about three years ago, and regularly see black guillemots as well as divers over the winter period.

I know the harbour area well i work in the Port of Ayr and sit and watch the Black Guillemonts regularly and also when they are nesting i can see them going into feed the young, hoping to be able to able to take a few pictures this year and yes the otter can still be seen.

It hase been a while since I post here something so time for an update.
The last 10 days where quite exiting but no new year species unfortunately.
Here the best sightings from the last couple of days.

21/12/12 from Noddsdale/Largs: 4 Med gulls (3 adult and 1 2nd winter). 1 Adult winter med gull was ringed on his left leg with a white colorring.
1 Adult winter Little gull, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Kittiwake and 1 Black guillimot still in summer plumage.

25/12/12 from Upper Skelmorlie during a Christmas walk: 1 hunting Merlin, calling Raven and 1 Red tr diver from Meigle.

29/12/12 in the area of Lochwinnoch:
from Visitor centre: 1 waterrail shortly seen, 1 possible Peregrine flew over.
Barrloch: 50 Whooper swan, 1 Gadwall, 3 Great crested grebe, 18 Goosander, 40 Goldeneye, 70 Greyleg geese, 40 Canada geese, 1 Curlew etcetc
Castle semple had: 2 Scaup (female and an moulting male) 1 Brambling between a flock of 30 Chaffinch, 320 Canada geese and aprox 40 greyleg on north/west end of the loch, 8 Goosander, 38 Goldeneye, 2 Little grebe, 2 Raven etcetc

30/12/12 along coastal North Ayrshire:
At garnock floods: 2 Ravens flew by,1 hunting Sparrowhawk and on the river near the railway-bridge:
2 Red breasted merganser (pair quite far up river) 2 pied wagtail and also 2 goosanders.

Irvine harbour had the highlight of the day; an Adult winter Puffin!! showing nicely. I have some far distant pictures which I should show here shortly. The bird looked impaired.
Other sighting there where: 26 Red br merganser, 8 Goldeneye, 1 Grey wagtail and at Irvine beachpark pond: 2 Red br merganser, 5 Goosander and 9 Golden plover.

From Stevenston point a short 20 minutes of seawatching: surprising a Great Skua flew North around 1.30pm! Lot's of Kittiwake (approx 60) and Auks (25). Also 1 Long tailed duck north.
Present where a group of 440 Dunlins, 160 Ringed plover, 70 Sanderlings and 18 Turnstones.

From Achenharvie golf course/Stevenston: 6 Scaups, 2 Whooper swans, 1 little grebe and 1 Hoodie hybride.

Ending at Saltcoats point with 1 Red tr diver and again lot's of kittiwakes.

Total this year brings me at 195 Species. I had hoped for the 200 species but It didn't worked out this year. Last year I had 203 species.
Best wished to everyone for 2013!

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited:
Lochwinnoch this morning - but just over an hour there. The centre was closed, but luckily the hide was open. Lots of goosander, goldeneye, mallard, tufted duck, a few cormorants fishing, mute swans flying back and forth between Aird Meadow and Castle Semple Loch, a grey heron flying over towards Castle Semple, and a little grebe was showing well just in front of the hide. It was quite a miserable day overall with constant rain and I couldn't see the hills behind Lochwinnoch.

The small birds along the path were quite active, with goldcrests and wrens showing well, plus blue, great and coal tits. Couldn't see any finches - I suspect they were at the feeders in front of the centre, but as it closed, I didn't have access to this bit.

I've never known the reserve to be this quiet in terms of people - there was a car parked there, but I didn't see the owner.

Saturday a day of birding around clyde area:

Starting with Gourock.
From Gourock bay near the Argyll ferry terminal an Adult winter Great Northern Diver swimming close (approx 20 meter) offshore.
here some pictures of the bird: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/73053711

From Battery park/Cardwell bay: 1 Adult winter Med gull between approx 250 Black headed gulls. Also present: 21 Dunlin, 3 Turnstone, 6 Ringed plover, 2 Goldeneye, Hoodie hybride and a look over the clyde provide me a total of 9 Red tr Divers and 1 Guillimot.

From Greenock bay/T-mobile Call centre: 20 Red tr Divers, 10 Red breasted merganser, 6 Black guillimot, 1 Slavonian grebe, 1 Great crested Grebe

200 Herring gulls from Great Harbour/Greenock but no Glaucous or Iceland gull yet.

Coronation park/Port glasgow: 6 Rock pipits, 2 Great crested grebe, 5 Red breasted merganser, 4 Black guillimot, 4 Goldeneye.

Finlaystone point had: a total of 7 Greenshank, 180 Redshank, 60 Wigeon, 6 Goldeneye, 3 Great crested grebe, 1 adult Lesser black backed gull, 1 Mistle trush.

Auchendores Loch had: still the female Long tailed duck!! Very far distant pictures here: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/73053739
Also present 10 Goldeneye, 4 Teal, 2 Goosander and in the fields behind the loch: 168 Greyleg geese, 14 Canada geese.

At Erskine Harbour 2 Spotted Redshanks where seen since several days ago.
After 20 minutes of searching I found two groups of Redshanks, 1 group of approx 40 on the other side of the Clyde and 1 group of approx 30 Redshanks just in a corner of the Harbour.
Here I found 1 Spotted redshank. Here some far distant pics of the Spotshank: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/73053766
crappy pictures but the spotshank is on the back on rightside of the group of Redshanks.

A short search around eastside Inchinnan provided me a group of 6 Yellowhammers but I didn't found any Tree sparrows.

Along Inchinnan drive/ black cart water a group of 360 Grey leg geese, 2 Pinkfeet geese, 3 Hybride geese (prob grey x swangoose/feral goose), 1 Whooper swan, 2 Goosander, 40 Teal, 15 Wigeon.

And my last stop at Houston road provided me 12 Whooper swans.

The 2 Spotted Redshanks and a Greenshank were at Erskine Harbour at lunchtime today. I also got a Stonechat at Queen's View and 11 Black Grouse at Stockiemuir lek.

Recent sightings for Loch Leven - 2 short eared owls have been seen regularly over St Serfs from RSPB Vane farm i got them myself last thursday but seen again today by a birding friend . Male Hen Harrier seen from Carden hide RSPB vane farm this has been around for a couple of weeks also a female seen yesterday 10/1 . Peregrines have been seen on a regular basis as well . No sightings recorded as yet of the White tailed Eagles this year but loads of reports towards the end of December especially in colder weather. European White Fronted Goose in the bay at Vane farm . Up to 4 Jays on exposed island at Findatie from hide . Kingfishers seen over the last few days at Factory bay hide this is the hide next to the SNH offices . Teal , Tuffted , Pintail , Mallard , Wigeon , Pochard , Goldeneye , Mergansers , GC and Little Grebes also present as well as other regulars Grey Heron , Redwing , Fieldfare , Brambling and Tits and Finches . I also read on the RSPB blog that Waxwings were recorded recently but im not sure exactly where . Im going that way on sunday so ill update as and when .

Last edited:
Today i walked from the Low Green Ayr to the bridge over the River Doon
On the Low Green, there were plenty of Oystercatcher and some gulls.
Getting down onto the beach, the first thing i saw was a Curlew, this was to be the first of 7.
Walking on towards Blackburn rocks area, there were quite a few Pied Wagtails and one Grey Wagtail.
In the sand dunes plenty of Chaffinches and Greenfinches aslo a couple of Rock Pipits.
I always like to stop where the the Slaphouse Burn enters the sea as among the rocks here,, is a good bit to see Rock Pipits and also sitting here you can watch between here and the Milenium Bridge.
Today there were plenty of Dunlin showing and were in good numbers. There also was Redshanks ,Greenshanks, Teal, Lapwings and the usual Turnstones.
The ever present Swans were in good numbers.
I then walked up the side of the river where there was plenty of Mallards and Goldeneyes,
These were all the ones i can identify for sure and 2 others that i am still trying to work out,, today was not a good camera day so this makes things a little harder.

stole my thunder a wee bit :)

Today i walked from the Low Green Ayr to the bridge over the River Doon
On the Low Green, there were plenty of Oystercatcher and some gulls.
Getting down onto the beach, the first thing i saw was a Curlew, this was to be the first of 7.
Walking on towards Blackburn rocks area, there were quite a few Pied Wagtails and one Grey Wagtail.
In the sand dunes plenty of Chaffinches and Greenfinches aslo a couple of Rock Pipits.
I always like to stop where the the Slaphouse Burn enters the sea as among the rocks here,, is a good bit to see Rock Pipits and also sitting here you can watch between here and the Milenium Bridge.
Today there were plenty of Dunlin showing and were in good numbers. There also was Redshanks ,Greenshanks, Teal, Lapwings and the usual Turnstones.
The ever present Swans were in good numbers.
I then walked up the side of the river where there was plenty of Mallards and Goldeneyes,
These were all the ones i can identify for sure and 2 others that i am still trying to work out,, today was not a good camera day so this makes things a little harder.

I was there yesterday as well between 10 and 11.20 am just as we hit hightide

as well as the birds you saw i also spotted wrens, robins also about 20 or more Goldeneye, a pair and 1st winter were swimming up under the millenium bridge. I also spotted a bar tailed godwit on the grass behind the shore which flew off very quickly

Other wild life included a stoat near the burn just past the bridge and a large fish which i am trying to identify it was 3ft long and was piebald black with white patches.

This is a great spot as you can get close to the birds in a natural state and i always look forward to the wifes shopping trips to ayr so i can spend some time at Doonfoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back