• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (7 Viewers)

I was just leaving then and the Goldeneye might have been the ones i seen swimming down the Doon as i walked up it.
It is an easy place for me as i live only 6 miles away and try to get down as often as possible at the weekends.

I was there yesterday as well between 10 and 11.20 am just as we hit hightide

as well as the birds you saw i also spotted wrens, robins also about 20 or more Goldeneye, a pair and 1st winter were swimming up under the millenium bridge. I also spotted a bar tailed godwit on the grass behind the shore which flew off very quickly

Other wild life included a stoat near the burn just past the bridge and a large fish which i am trying to identify it was 3ft long and was piebald black with white patches.

This is a great spot as you can get close to the birds in a natural state and i always look forward to the wifes shopping trips to ayr so i can spend some time at Doonfoot.

The fish would have been a salmon kelt returning from the River Doon after the rigours of spawning. They are in very poor condition having not eaten for some months, and are dark in appearance with skin flaking off giving the piebald colour you mention. I thought there was a stoat the other day as 30 odd teal took off in panic whilst near the reeds at high tide, some 200 metres south of the bridge, usually its a dog walker but no dogs or raptors were in sight ;)

cheers

I was just leaving then and the Goldeneye might have been the ones i seen swimming down the Doon as i walked up it.
It is an easy place for me as i live only 6 miles away and try to get down as often as possible at the weekends.

may see you there someday

I think it would be the goldeneye you saw there was a 1st winter which i checked out when i got home.

cheers

The fish would have been a salmon kelt returning from the River Doon after the rigours of spawning. They are in very poor condition having not eaten for some months, and are dark in appearance with skin flaking off giving the piebald colour you mention. I thought there was a stoat the other day as 30 odd teal took off in panic whilst near the reeds at high tide, some 200 metres south of the bridge, usually its a dog walker but no dogs or raptors were in sight ;)

thanks for the head up about the Salmon i didn't realise they had skin issues...as for the stoat it was north of the big bridge next to the burn, it looked me up and down but must have figured i (at 16 stone) was a bit big to take on

Yesterday a walk around Lochwinnoch area. (Aird meadow, Barr loch and Castle semple)

I had the Male Hen harrier
Other birds where; 2 snipe, 60 goldeneye, 35 Goosander, 1 Woodcock, 42 Whooper swans, 5 Gadwall, Sparrowhawk, 1 Little grebe, a total of 4 Dippers!, 1 grey wagtail, 1 Kingfisher, 250 Wigeon, 130 Teal, 1 Waterrail, Treecreeper, 50 greyleg geese, 30 canada geese, 2 Kestrel, 2 Buzzard, etcetc.

Cheers,
Rik

Yesterday during the storm between 4.30 and 5pm from Largs: 1 first winter Gannet and 8 Kittiwakes. Also 1 Black guillimot, 1 Auk etc.
Does anyone else has seen some nice sightings lately?

Being new to birdwatching I still find great fun seeing any type of bird to be honest. I am gradual building up the different type of birds that I see and find that Barons Haugh has been very good me recently

During my walks around the area I find that other birders are very helpful and friendly so to anyone who has pointed out birds to me a big thank you.

They may not be the rarest of spots but I saw my first ever Siskin last weekend, my first Woodpecker as well as a kingfisher, which I have seen there previously. Maybe not the most difficult to spot for some but for me a novice it was great seeing them

Really starting to enjoy my new hobby so may be time to upgrade to a better set of binoculars. I have a 2nd hand pair of Kobica 8x 40 which I bought from Ebay a while back which have served me well

I enjoy reading the posts on here which keeps my intrest and am always looking for somewhere different to go within about a 20 mile radius of Glasgow. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kingfisher is always a good bird to see, and often quite tricky. The Haugh is lucky that it has a couple of places where you're likely to see one.

I love birding for the sake of it, but getting a good 'un always makes a good day's birding into a great day's birding, I've found.

Yesterday i went my usual walk of along Ayr Beach to the Millenium Bridge at the Doonfoot.
The tide was really far out yesterday and the sea was a bit choppier than i thought it would be.
There was plenty of Curlew showing all along the beach, i always seem to see more when the tide is low.
The Oystercatchers were in good numbers and i stood and watched them as the fished and for the first time i saw on catch what i think was a sandeel
Getting closer to the River Doon, Redshanks were around in good numbers and i lost count at 65.
The Teal were plentiful in there numbers and i saw a few Dunlin.
Was watching the Lapwings, when they got frightend by someone walking to close, but i was able to get a few pictures of them in flight.
Yesterday was a good day for seeing Goldeneye was easily over 40 between the river mouth and the river itself
I also saw my first Little Grebe in the river as well as the usual plentiful supply of Mallards.
Other birds i saw were 3 Rock Pipits, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Wren, Chaffinches and Swans.

Arrochar and area

Hi all,

Hope this is the right thread; last time I asked for info on here I got my Scottish counties mixed up... :)

I'm going to be up to the Loch Lomond area in a couple of weeks for a work trip. After the meeting, rather than fly straight home, I'll hopefully stick around for a couple of nights in Arrochar. I'm hoping someone here can anyone help me out with a few questions:

• In general, what am I likely to see, and what should I be looking for, round that way in late February?
  • I'm assuming Arrochar's a bit far south for golden eagles? Are there any recommended places for them nearby(ish)?
  • Is there any point heading to somewhere like Stockiemuir for the black grouse this early in the year?
  • Are there any good sites for black guillemot? I've lucked onto them a long way up sea-lochs on the west before...
  • And finally, a proper long shot: without heading offshore, what chance is there of white-tailed eagle?
Many thanks!

I was at Stockiemuir early in January and after a 45 minute wait I picked up 11 male Black Grouse at Stockiemuir Lek. I also saw a report from 19th Jan of similar numbers. PM me if you need directions.

I haven't been up to Loch Lomond during the winter months, so can't really help you otherwise, sorry.

Black Guillemot is best seen along the Ayrshire coast. There is a very good PDF guide to Ayrshire sites available at the link below:

http://www.ayrshire-birding.org.uk/location_guide/

Last edited:
You can see Black guillimot also more close by. Port glasgow/ Greenock area is a good area for them (35 minute drive from Drymen/Loch lomond). here a link where you have the best chance to see them:
http://observado.org/waarneming/view/63647065 or http://observado.org/waarneming/view/72509580
also a good place for Black guillimot is between Inverkip and Wemyss bay: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/63999613

The south side of Loch lomond/ Endrick Mouth is a good area for Greenland White fronted geese.

Golden eagle = no guarantee but is possible North/west of Crianlarich and sometimes around Ben Lomond. White tailed eagle is no chance except for Fife area or Western Islands like Mull or Skey.

Last edited:
Today and Yesterday the Adult Glaucous gull still present from Dumbarton Castle from 4.30 - 5.30pm.
Yesterday the female type Long tailed duck still present at Achendores Reservoir/Port Glasgow

Try Glen Fyne for golden eagle. It's a nice walk if the weather's good and is fairly near where you're staying.

Not much chance of sea eagle but you never know on the Clyde coast in winter, you could be very lucky!

Stockiemuir lek is well worth it. For Scottish specialities, are there still capercaillie on the Loch Lomond islands?

Last edited:
I enjoy reading the posts on here which keeps my intrest and am always looking for somewhere different to go within about a 20 mile radius of Glasgow. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

If you visit the bridge over the River Cart at Linn Park in the southside of Glasgow you can see kingfisher and also dipper. It's surrounded by a really built-up urban area, but holds lots of good birds, including really close-up views of goosander. You just need to be lucky on the day to see the good birds.

Edit: get yourself along to Hogganfield Park, it's got probably the best views of whooper swans you'll get anywhere in Scotland - basically an arm's reach away!

Depending on the tides and whether you have a car, Parklea on the south bank of the Clyde Estuary or Ardmore Point/ Cardross Bay on the North bank are excellent sites and relatively easy to access.

Hogganfield is the only place I've seen goosander being fed pan bread.

I'd recommend boots or wellies for Ardmore Point - there is a short stretch of it that is very very muddy at all times of year. You can follow the coast most of the way round, but you'll need to eventually encounter the mud.

I'd recommend boots or wellies for Ardmore Point - there is a short stretch of it that is very very muddy at all times of year. You can follow the coast most of the way round, but you'll need to eventually encounter the mud.

You make that sound like a bad thing!!!

Access to the North Bay at Ardmore (where you'll be in Shelduck heaven) is especially muddy, and I'd recommend cutting through the field next to the path. It will still be muddy, but it shouldn't be over the top of your boots....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back