• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

We've been asked by 'The Man' to stop feeding the birds for 6 weeks (1 Viewer)

catbasket

We live semi-rural, in a dead-end road of about twenty houses. On Wednesday a guy from the environmental services dept of the council came round and said that a couple of houses at the opposite end of the street have a problem with rats. He explained that stopping feeding the birds OR keeping the feeding areas extra tidy would help them as they tackled the problem.

No problem, says I, by coincidence I've been fitting trays under the feeders and that makes a big difference. Also I tell him I'll have a thorough tidy-up and keep the place super clean. He's happy with that.

I've noticed a big anti-litter/rats poster campaign in town and ask him if the local rat problem is related. No - he explains we have classic conditions for rats: semi-rural with a nearby railway line, a stream through the field opposite the houses, "a guy keeping chickens" and of course people feeding garden birds.

Thursday I did the thorough tidy and clean-up.

Today, Friday, I and the other residents receive a letter asking we stop feeding the birds for six weeks - apparently rats will avoid the pesticides if another food source is available and "bird food also contains Vitamin K which acts as an antidote to the pesticides being used".

Obviously I don't want to stop feeding the birds. I feel I have valid reasons to ignore the request and continue bird feeding, but thought I'd ask wiser heads (I'm talking about you lot ;)) for an opinion ... maybe I'm fooling myself and really should stop feeding for a while?? Anyway, my thinking on the matter -

The problem is at the other end of the row of houses.

We, and neighbours at this end, have cats. None of us have seen a rat whether alive or brought in dead by a cat.

The Environmental Officer told me, face to face standing at my front door, that keeping the feeding areas clean would be enough. Even though now the letter from the same department (same guy?) says to stop.

The houses with the rat problem have the "guy keeping chickens" right behind them.

The "guy keeping chickens" is actually the local farmer who has a small-holding at the back of those houses where he keeps free-range chickens, ducks, geese and seasonal turkeys.

The rat problem started at the very end house, which happens to be very close to the stream. Also by coincidence, they are looking into buying a bit of land next to their house and have taken it upon themselves to start clearing the undergrowth from that area. By even further coincidence the rat problem didn't start until after they started clearing this bit of land near the stream.

[Oops, had to rein in my sarcasm there. I've obviously convinced myself the rat problem has nothing to do with our bird feeding.]

But I'm still a little concerned that stopping feeding for six weeks might be the correct thing to do.

Any thoughts?

Food at this time of year is readily available for birds and would see no problem stopping for a period.
It then stops people pointing the finger at bird feeders in your area and allows them to focus on other areas.
Cat rarely tackle full grown rats, birds are much prefared as they dont fight back.

I would stop feeding just so then people cant blame you for the rat problem, i tend to agree that it is the guy who keeps chickens that has prob attracted the rats

Yeah, definitely is a "politically good strategy" to stop feeding birds for a while. They'll miss the feeders, but before long they'll cope with that. Then the fingers will not point directly at them and maybe even they're turned towards the chickens.

In my experience, when complaints like those arise, the best way to go is just to accede and let "guilts" to become clear by themselves.

Not really sure about this, but:

"Today, Friday, I and the other residents receive a letter asking we stop feeding the birds for six weeks" Did residents also receive letters about throwing half-eaten takeaway meals in the street? And what was the "Chicken Farmer" told to do? What happens in 6 weeks time if the Rats are still there?

If you alone received a complaint, that would be different, you'd have no choice but to comply. I think you have a choice whether or not to stop feeding, but it depends on how much hassle you're prepared to put up with, and whether you're prepared to fight a battle that you may well lose.

As for birds finding food elsewhere; well they might, but only if that food is just sitting there waiting to be eaten. I would have thought that all available food sources would have been utilised already by other birds/wildlife. Or is there a glut of food suitable for birds? (In which case none of us are doing any good by providing even more food) I also think it's worth remembering that "6 weeks" takes us to the middle of November, who knows what the Weather will be like then.

Incidentally, the RSPB offers the following advice about when to feed birds:

Although winter feeding benefits birds most, food shortages can occur at any time of the year. By feeding year round, you'll give birds a better chance to survive periods of food shortage, whenever they may occur.

It might be a good idea to talk to the other residents about this, especially those that feed the birds.

Not really sure about this, but:

As for birds finding food elsewhere; well they might, but only if that food is just sitting there waiting to be eaten. I would have thought that all available food sources would have been utilised already by other birds/wildlife. Or is there a glut of food suitable for birds? (In which case none of us are doing any good by providing even more food) I also think it's worth remembering that "6 weeks" takes us to the middle of November, who knows what the Weather will be like then.

at the moment yes there is a glut of food, feeding them now means that the current food crop will be consumed more slowly, thus extending it's duration further into the winter, except for the stuff that goes off.

it does mean however that the food will be more important when the 6 weeks is up as more of the natural food will be gone.

This is a tough problem and is steeped in as much environmental issues as social and community issues. Although I feel that you're individual act of feeding birds in your yard should be fine, especially when you do it with such a high level of tidiness and responsibility, there is a bigger picture to consider. Because of all the other factors which seem to keep the rat populations thriving, I would recommend that you stop feeding for the relatively short period of time that was requested of you. If the situation wasn't so out of hand already, feeding the birds wouldn't be such a big deal, but at this point it seems like all precautions should be taken. Sorry you have to deal with this situation, it's of no fault of your own. Good luck!

It is possible to feed the birds in the day time and put a sheet underneath the feeders to catch the waste and then at night take the sheet and the feeders in a shed and then put it out again in the morning.

It is possible to feed the birds in the day time and put a sheet underneath the feeders to catch the waste and then at night take the sheet and the feeders in a shed and then put it out again in the morning.

It's your garden Shirley and i am sure that would be a great compromise. :t:

Shirley,I think your solution above is a good idea.These rodents quite possibly move around at night.If there is nothing for them to eat,then they will not visit.I had to do this ,as we had rodents at our feeders,when we had a garden,I have a really bad phobia about them,-I quickly skimmed the prev photo!!!!!.But all was cleared way at night,and our unwanted visitors left.

It's your garden Shirley and i am sure that would be a great compromise. :t:

No one's going to see that as a compromise, ODD maybe.

Just stop feeding for 6 weeks. Nag the council to ensure their pest control contractors thoroughly inspect the whole area for rat corpses at least once each day. Secondary poisoning of domestic pets and non-target wildlife is not acceptable.

Regards,

Andy.

Just out of interest, are rats using bird feeders putting the birds more at risk regarding disease.

I live in the middle of nowhere surround by fields and woods. Rats are very much a part of country life. I have moved my feeders once already to an area that they are less accessable to other 'wildlife' but can't necessarily ensure that they are rat free.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would continue to feed the birds in the morning, but make sure all food is removed before dusk. Rats are much more likely to be moving around and feeding when it is dark.

Merewyn

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back