• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your nemesis bird? (1 Viewer)

Ruddy Ground Dove for the ABA area still remains a problem. White-throated Tyrannulets were utter bastards in Ecuador...had them at several spots but only as unidentifiable flickers of movement, and just refused to leave deep cover. Or when they did leave cover, I was looking somewhere else.

Ruddy Ground Dove for the ABA area still remains a problem. White-throated Tyrannulets were utter bastards in Ecuador...had them at several spots but only as unidentifiable flickers of movement, and just refused to leave deep cover. Or when they did leave cover, I was looking somewhere else.
I dunno, the attention span of youngsters today.... :ROFLMAO:

John

I'm at a different (lower) level to most of you guys, but my nemesis bird in Ireland is Tree Sparrow. They're a bit patchy here and apparently never in a patch at the same time as me.

Same in the Uk- I’ve only ever seen them once.
Once would be enough at this stage :)

For Siskin, it's like a different bird in Summertime. Best to find some upland pine forest and keep an eye at the top of the canopy for a male flying out and then back to the same spot.

In winter they flock in the lowlands but only in certain spots. Some winters they are common on my feeders and other winters - not a thing.

Once would be enough at this stage :)

For Siskin, it's like a different bird in Summertime. Best to find some upland pine forest and keep an eye at the top of the canopy for a male flying out and then back to the same spot.

In winter they flock in the lowlands but only in certain spots. Some winters they are common on my feeders and other winters - not a thing.
I think that’s why I’m flunking on them- I don’t typically bird forest.

For Long-Eared Owl, they can be a devil to see most of the year, apart from a rare headlights glimpse at the edge of woodland occasionally. But if you know an area of woodland they inhabit, there is a short window in early-mid July in the late evening when the nearly fully grown juveniles are still calling with their squeaky juvenile calls and hang about in small groups being quite visible. You can track them by their calls.

For Long-Eared Owl, they can be a devil to see most of the year, apart from a rare headlights glimpse at the edge of woodland occasionally. But if you know an area of woodland they inhabit, there is a short window in early-mid July in the late evening when the nearly fully grown juveniles are still calling with their squeaky juvenile calls and hang about in small groups being quite visible. You can track them by their calls.
Or they can be a piece of cake coming in off the sea on the East Coast in autumn, usually towards the end of October.

Just book a few days at Spurn or Flamborough (or be prepared to travel between them) late autumn and keep it up till you've got it. Chances are you'll get a fistful of other good birds.

John

No real nemesis for me ever since I found myself a Bar-tailed Godwit in April this year (2nd provincial record, in Inner Anatolia about as common as Pectoral Sandpiper).
Birds I've tried for (all once) and failed: Yellow-billed Stork, Little Bustard, Brown Fish Owl, Red-flanked Bluetail, Great Snipe, Yellow-browed Warbler, Lesser White-fronted Goose, White-tailed Lapwing

Great horned owl. Saw one once while driving and tried to slow down to admire it, but the driver behind me wasn’t very happy. I can spot barred owls and screech owls a few times a year. But not the great horned.

Great horned owl. Saw one once while driving and tried to slow down to admire it, but the driver behind me wasn’t very happy. I can spot barred owls and screech owls a few times a year. But not the great horned.
Where do you live?

It's weird since I generally find Great Horned Owl to be far easier than Barred Owl. I never see screech owls unless I know of a occupied nest box.

It was Little Bustard - we dipped the Christchurch area bird way back when, always being not quite in the right place every time it was flushed on that rainy New Year’s Day. We even saw a small group of people pointing frantically and when we caught up with them, they explained it had flown straight over us!

Now it is probably Inaccessible Island Rail. We had beautiful weather when in Tristan da Chuna and approached the island twice with high hopes. On the first visit the seas were a bit too rough, but the second time the seas looked calm and the chance is landing seemed high. As a scout zodiac approached the steep beach, we could see all was in vain and alas the breakers were still far too big. A few people tried to scope the shore, but it would have been impossible to spot this diminutive rail.

I did promise to go back, but I probably never will - January is the best time for the seas, but the only transport then is the monthly boat to TdC. So a lazy month on an island with not a lot of birds, then chartering a ride to Inaccessible Island when the seas are flat calm. Once onshore the rail is meant to be quite common and easy to find!

The Atlantic Odyssey provides a very small chance in April. When I was on the 2016 trip, only 1 in 11 trips had managed a landing (and I don’t think they have managed a landing since then).

It must surely rate as one of the most difficult birds to see on the world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back