• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are Swarovski up to? (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Glancing at optics prices (well you do don't you?) made realise that something odd is up.

With the release of the new Zeiss FL's Nikon have cut the price of the 8x42HGL and Leica the 8x32 Ultravids (certainly on w/express).

So what have swaro done? Put the price of the ELS up!!

On scopes its even more puzzling. The Swaro HD65 is going for £1085 with zoom whereas the competition is over £200 cheaper.

The 80mm Swaro with zoom is over £1400 almost £300 dearer than the next most expensive Zeiss 85.

Now don't get me wrong they are two nice scopes (I was using the 65 this weekend from time to time) but I can't see any justification for those differentials.

So what are Swarovski up to?

Pete,

Swarovski is, perhaps, more about marketing than about optics. They want to price themselves with the most expensive. Unlike Zeiss and Leica, there seems to be no discounting, at least in the States. If there is no justification, we can take our business elsewhere.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
pduxon said:
Glancing at optics prices (well you do don't you?) made realise that something odd is up.

With the release of the new Zeiss FL's Nikon have cut the price of the 8x42HGL and Leica the 8x32 Ultravids (certainly on w/express).

On scopes its even more puzzling. The Swaro HD65 is going for £1085 with zoom whereas the competition is over £200 cheaper.

The 80mm Swaro with zoom is over £1400 almost £300 dearer than the next most expensive Zeiss 85.

Now don't get me wrong they are two nice scopes (I was using the 65 this weekend from time to time) but I can't see any justification for those differentials.

Recently the Swarovski 8.5x42 went up from about £790 to about £920. My guess is that this huge increase is to match the FL price and maintain the image of 'best available'. I've always thought the finish on Swarovski kit was superb, and the optics are excellent, but like you I don't think the price difference is justified. The warranty is quite something though given comments on BF, and comments I've heard from dealers.

Leif

pduxon said:
... Now don't get me wrong they are two nice scopes (I was using the 65 this weekend from time to time) but I can't see any justification for those differentials.

I think as soon as one mentions "justification" they win the argument — because Swarovski is making a statement that their package is better and worth a small percentage difference to those who can afford it. If you can't afford it, ... well, so sorry, just buy Zeiss, Nikon, etc.

Leica did that for many years, and of course Rolex and Mercedes are classics at such high end market primping. Personally, I don't take exception to it because if their products really are better they should get more, and if they are not we should buy something else.

-elk
PS. I think I just repeated what Arthur Pinewood said better.

Last edited:
elkcub said:
I think as soon as one mentions "justification" they win the argument — because Swarovski is making a statement that their package is better and worth a small percentage difference to those who can afford it. If you can't afford it, ... well, so sorry, just buy Zeiss, Nikon, etc.

Leica did that for many years, and of course Rolex and Mercedes are classics at such high end market primping. Personally, I don't take exception to it because if their products really are better they should get more, and if they are not we should buy something else.

well I'd hardly call 25% on the scopes a small differential.

I understand the marketing stuff and if folks are daft enough to fall for it...., but having looked through them there is no optical reason to justify it.

Snobbery? Well I still walk around with Porro binoculars. I must be hopeless as far as Swarovski is concerned.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Chabi said:
Could be that Swarovski optik is a a few better than Leica or Zeiss???

Looks like the marketing wonks have got a bite.

Am I the only person who thinks that Stella Artois is a cheap and nasty lager sold at a high price? When I lived in Quebec, Canada, I was amused to discover that Carling Black Label lager was a premium brand.

Leif

pduxon said:

It's been like that for years - when I bought my son's Nikon, the Swaro was £1400+. I think that WE had a period when they got them at a lower price, perhaps.

Glad you mentioned the Zeiss - what better with that zoom!?

Leif said:
Looks like the marketing wonks have got a bite.

Am I the only person who thinks that Stella Artois is a cheap and nasty lager sold at a high price?
Leif
Oh believe me, you're not the only one who thinks that!

I think Swaro may be trying to "distance" themselves from Zeiss etc, by trying to create an "elite" level. Just my thoughts...

scampo said:
It's been like that for years - when I bought my son's Nikon, the Swaro was £1400+. I think that WE had a period when they got them at a lower price, perhaps.

Glad you mentioned the Zeiss - what better with that zoom!?

the 85 is a very fine scope.......

don't get me wrong folks I like the Swaro scopes. When I bought my little Leica I compared it tothe Swaro and it was a very close call. Having used one over the weekend I still regard the 65HD as a cracker BUT it isn't worth £200 more simple as that.

Interesting commenst on the Swaro pricing.

I am just pricing around to replace my 20 year old Kowa (still optically perfect). I fancy either the Nikon 82 ED with 25 x 75 or swaro 80 ED 20x60.

The price difference is some £400 plus and having looked through both scopes I am having difficulty in justifying the extra for the swaro.

One final thing, I have been told that Nikon have very poor after sales service (contary to what has been posted in some threads on this site) and swaro provided the best after sales service, but funnily enough the source of this info could not supply the Nikon.

Any comments ?

Steve is on the right track I think, Swaro's price rises at WE are from last year but have just filtered through as old stock has now gone.

I bought my EL 8.5 's from WE a year ago for £779 , but I knew that this was a reduced price on the RRP.

If something horrible happened and I lost 'em and the insurance did not pay up I would buy them again at £920 - they have transformed my birding to the extent I rarely carry a scope anymore and anyone who looks through them comments "crickey" ! I love them. Over the year they have cost £2.13 a day to "run", and they are used every day. For the thing that I love to do this is a SMALL cost - cant buy a pack of fags for that. Assuming I use them for 5 years before buying something else ( new El's ! ) and you have a bargain... well for me anyway, and I am not made of money.

Main purchasing considerations were : fantastic optics, comfort and legendary customer service. I don't think snobbery ever came into the equation.

Linz

Hi Lindsay,

someone I know bought a pair of EL 8.5x42s recently. They are superb bins.

But they are no better than my old Leica 8x32 BAs in any way (something which surprised me, but after much side-by-side comparison I can honestly say it's true) - so don't feel too disadvantaged if you find yourself having to "slum it" with a pair of ol' Leicas..!

;)

A few comments for what it's worth.

I have compared the Zeiss 85 T*FL and Swarovski ATS80HD scopes and in most cases the difference in optical performance are almost none. However, I have also experienced conditions there the Swarowski in my opinion clearly outperformed the Zeiss. This was most noticable with high contrast in strong light.

I am now selecting between these two and currently the swaro is the strongest candidate due to better optical performance. Focusing is also better imho.

/Sven

Sven W said:
A few comments for what it's worth.

I have compared the Zeiss 85 T*FL and Swarovski ATS80HD scopes and in most cases the difference in optical performance are almost none. However, I have also experienced conditions there the Swarowski in my opinion clearly outperformed the Zeiss. This was most noticable with high contrast in strong light.

I am now selecting between these two and currently the swaro is the strongest candidate due to better optical performance. Focusing is also better imho.

/Sven

Horses for courses!!
I do prefer my 65HD to almost any equivilent scope...but I found the zoom very useful to get very close to an individual bird so I have just purchased the 20-60 zoom.Hoping the weather brightens up so I can go to my local patch and try it out!! Look out Little Owls I should find you now!!
I also have Nikon 8 x 32 bins which are brilliant!! Really comfy in my hands and great for focusing.

I do wonder about the price diffs....but at least EW do you some good deals when they can( not in this case unfortunately..altho their service is brill!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back