• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars are these? (1 Viewer)

Merik

Netherlands
Hello,

I am quite new to this forum. I've read some posts about several binoculars
Now i managed to find some old binoculars myself. I am not sure which type they are.
Maybe anyone here could help me identify them?

They look decent quality, but there is no brand name or anything on it

Thanks in advance

Greetings

Attachments

• 20220922_133302.jpg
    20220922_133302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20220922_133311.jpg
    20220922_133311.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 20220922_133313.jpg
    20220922_133313.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220922_133317.jpg
    20220922_133317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20220922_133320.jpg
    20220922_133320.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 40
There would be a battery compartment that would unscrew for maybe a lithium coin battery.

But it may not need a battery?

B.

The compass won't be visible at night.

If the two images are well aligned and the inside looks clean when viewing from the front with a torch, then yes, quite good but not, I think, an expensive binocular.

Expensive marine binoculars with compass may have different versions for three different areas on the Earth with different magnetic deviations.

Does it say Made in Japan or China?

If the image looks good and it doesn't give a headache from miscollimation, then it is a good binocular.

B.

Last edited:
Some Bushnell 7x50 marine binoculars float, some may not unless they have a flotation strap.

Perhaps a bath or canal is better than the North Sea to try this.
But the binocular may not be properly waterproof any more, so maybe it is best to forget this test.

Some have a reticle to measure distances.

Regards,
B.

Hm no it doesn't have that it looks like. Does it matter?
And my next question is.. is this binocular any good?
Only needs a battery if the compass is of the illuminated variety. The shape of the indented prism plates in the photos remind me of the Baker Marine 7x50. I believe Kamakura had a hand in manufacturing the Baker Marine.

Attachments

• IMG_0693A.jpg
    IMG_0693A.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 13
Great information, thanks.
It indeed has a reticle for distance

It doesn't say made in Japan or China anywhere. It has some info on the other side "GKA" and "0495"
Does this say anything to you?

According to one enterprising contributor to cloudy nights bino forums, the GKA "might" be interpreted as Kamakura Koki- America. I asked a similar question less then 2 weeks ago. Apparently there's also a GKE- for Europe. Sometimes, ferreting out this sort of info is going down a rabbit hole or into the looking glass. Regards, Pat (Bill Cook might know, now that I think about it)

According to one enterprising contributor to cloudy nights bino forums, the GKA "might" be interpreted as Kamakura Koki- America. I asked a similar question less then 2 weeks ago. Apparently there's also a GKE- for Europe. Sometimes, ferreting out this sort of info is going down a rabbit hole or into the looking glass. Regards, Pat (Bill Cook might know, now that I think about it)
Hi Pat,

Yes, it is a Bushnell. It is also a Swift Seahawk, it is also a Fujinon AR, a Simmons 1170, and ETC ... and yes, it is in the Kamakura importer's catalog. If you contact Mark (Masaki) Kamakura, and will part with enough money, it can be whatever YOU want it to be! Also, Pat, I don't know how many Mk5s were made. I have 2 (a 10-inch and a 7-inch) and sold two others. One to Orion Telescopes & Binoculars and the other to Deutsch Optik. I think that one now has a home at Oberwerk. Kevin was a little hard to train, but we finally got through! That photo above is NOT a Bushnell, Swift, Fujinon, Simmons, etc. The Baker Bino is a Swift Storm King (the binocerus), the Celestron Water proof, the Tamiya BIFR, ETC.

Last edited:
The compass won't be visible at night.

If the two images are well aligned and the inside looks clean when viewing from the front with a torch, then yes, quite good but not, I think, an expensive binocular.

Expensive marine binoculars with compass may have different versions for three different areas on the Earth with different magnetic deviations.

Does it say Made in Japan or China?

If the image looks good and it doesn't give a headache from miscollimation, then it is a good binocular.

B.
There is a small plastic attachment that fits over the compass when it is being used at night. Press the little white button that relates to compass light. Normally it uses ambient light. However when that fails, use the attachment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 1.53.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 1.53.39 PM.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back