• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (2 Viewers)

A couple of days ago I went for a coastal walk in Cumbria, England. We had glorious sunshine and my Leicas gave me very memorable views of the sea, the red sandstone cliffs, the blue sky and, of course, a number of seabirds which I rarely see. Among them were razorbills, guillemots, gulls, cormorants and a raven that nested in the cliffs. Here's an in-flight shot of the raven.
View attachment 1441019
Beautiful!

Walking the dogs at dusk, some minutes ago. Something was lurking on top of a pole, the beak gave it away: a woodchat shrike patiently waiting for some juicy prey to show up. Every time it catched something, it went straight to a nearby tree to feed a chick.

I was walking with the Canon IS II 10x30, and took the following pictures through the binoculars. It's something I do on a daily basis. I know it's far from ideal, but more than enough for documentation purposes (that way I can remember what was where when and how). And I must say that IS is just terrific for this. I can singlehand the 10x with a more than reasonably steady view, while I use the smartphone with the other hand to take a picture through the eyepiece.

IMG_20220622_232648.jpg
IMG_20220622_232709.jpg

A Green Finch.

The first I have seen in 14 months.

Redpoll, Linnet, Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Goldcrest and to round it off, a merry little gathering of Long, Great, Blue & Coal Tits.

Small birds, but a delight to see.

Same here. I was delighted to see one a few days ago, my first for ages.
I believe they have been decimated by Trichomonadidae.

John

Went back this evening, and was delighted to see a stunning male sat atop the bushes, with a few juveniles in the dusty track. As I said before, this is my first sightings in well over a year. Very happy indeed.

Jammy! A Dark-phase Arctic is the stuff of dreams. In all the years and all the skuas seen, I have never, ever been lucky enough to see one.
We are on the Western Isles of Scotland and Arctic Skuas nest locally. I don't suppose they are all Darks though.

Lee

I have spent this morning in a nature reserve in North Germany. I have been there numerous times, so I know what I am looking for and where. In summer, I happily take on the cuckoo challenge and let its call lead my way around the reserve. I spotted the first one very quickly and soon after I saw the first white-tailed eagle. I saw at least four different ones (saw them in one place) and also two ospreys. One osprey caught a fish in the lake. I also spotted a male red-backed shrike and one bird I couldn’t identify (see photo #1) and a white stork.

Can anyone identify this bird? It has a lovely song.
NO2_8120.jpg

This is a record shot of a cuckoo. I will try and get a better photo tomorrow.
NO2_8257.jpg

The eagles were too far away to take a good shot. But this one here is worth showing. I think it is an osprey harrassing a white-tailed eagle.
NO2_8238.jpg

This is a white stork.
NO2_8342_small.jpg

All in all, quite a good morning :) I used an 8x32 Ultravid. Will take my SLC 10x42 out tonight...

Beautiful pictures, it must have been a lovely experience. If I may ask you, whereabout in Northern Germany is that nature reserve? I plan to visit the Northern part of the Netherlands as well as Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein this Summer, that sounds like a great spot to visit.

Can anyone identify this bird? It has a lovely song.
Going by the prominent supercilium, it could be something in the line of an aquatic warbler (Acrocephalus paludicola). Have a look at this image, very similar shape in flight (I've made a crop of the image).

1656426646056.png1656426670585.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back