• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of butterflies? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

These butterflies were in New Hampshire U.S.A. I don't know much about butterflies.They look like Swallowtails we get in Connecticut but seemed smaller.-What kind are they and why are there so many of them?-What would they be eating in this sandy soil?-thanks-

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
lvn600 said:
These butterflies were in New Hampshire U.S.A. I don't know much about butterflies.They look like Swallowtails we get in Connecticut but seemed smaller.-What kind are they and why are there so many of them?-What would they be eating in this sandy soil?-thanks-

Hello Ivan,

They are Swallowtails, but as to which species you'll have to ask one of your fellow Americans.

It's likely they are seeking moisture (dew)? Sometimes great numbers of butterflies can be seen on damp ground sucking up the fluids present, and sometimes on animal urine to get salts. In the UK this is generally called 'puddling'. Your dog, horse or cattle didn't take a 'leak' on that grass by any chance?

If your area has sandy soil there it is unlikely there will be natural water puddles or surface seepage, so butterflies will take the moisture wherever they can find it. Many butterflies have very peculiar feeding habits.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Whilst on the topic of what dogs give out (!!) why would I have found (and photographed if you want to see it) a Comma on dog's poo last autumn, any ideas please? I've pondered over that every time I see it.

Thanks for causing the topic to come up lvn.

Sue

Wow! I have never seen this many Eastern Tiger Swallowtails at one time. I would have been doing the happy dance had I come across something like this. Nice catch Larry.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back