• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What should we be looking for at this time of year? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Seeing as there is a good amount of autumn migrants moving in at the moment I thought I'd start a thread for the more experianced birders to suggest which bird species we should be looking out for and where to look
(not specific locations) for them in various habitats and locations throughout the UK within a typical year.

Also feel free to post up suggestions for other wildlife such as mammals, wildflowers and insects etc during the relevant periods.

Who's going to start?

Matt

Last edited:
Ring Ouzels, proving a wee bit elusive for me, will check those flocks though, ever hopeful. Are the ring ouzels more than likely to be out near the coast now or do I still have a chance on Dartmoor of seeing something?

Ring Ouzels, proving a wee bit elusive for me, will check those flocks though, ever hopeful. Are the ring ouzels more than likely to be out near the coast now or do I still have a chance on Dartmoor of seeing something?

Get up early and watch visible migration on your own patch. Flocks of thrushes are often low enough to pick out odd birds such as Ring Ousels tagged onto big flocks of Redwings or Fieldfares.

Its a good way to listen to lots of calls as well. Eventually you will be sorting out pipits as they go over as well as various finches.

John

check your egrets for cattle egret and might be worth checking your meadow pipits too!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back