• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day afield with 8x42 NLs after 20 years using 8x32 EL and EL SVs. (1 Viewer)

My 8x42 NL Pures are occasionally affected by glare at the margins of the field of view, but my thought is this - what would I prefer, a very wide field of view that is occasionally affected by glare, or a narrower field of view (e.g. as in a Noctivid) which is not affected by glare. Clearly the first and not the second. I found the Noctivid very claustrophobic after using the NL Pure.

I also tend to treat glare as an early warning sign of getting too close to the Sun. Better glare than having 42mm of light frying my retinas.

I, too, had the NL 8x42 and in fact all the NL's. I was impressed with it at first, and then I started noticing glare in the bottom right corner of the FOV when ever I tilted the binoculars up. It was unpredictable and very aggravating. I soon found out why the NL 8x42 has six positions on the eye cup adjustment. It is because you have to be extremely precise on your setting, or you will get this glare.

I mean within less than a mm. Some people don't have a problem with it, because it can depend on your eye socket diameter and depth. But I did, and I couldn't get rid of it with eye cup adjustment, and neither could Holger Merlitz nor Binomania. The glare problem with the NL 8x42 is probably the reason Swarovski reduced the FOV on the NL 8x32 instead of increasing it because they knew they had a problem.

Binoamania said Swarovski should change the design with a new conformation of the optical hull or include a lens hood with every binocular. Swarovski should be responsible and redesign the binoculars or send the owners a lens hood to deal with the glare problem.

https://www.binomania.it/abbagliamento-nlpure/

View attachment 1538279
I'll stick with my SLCs. I don't notice any glare with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back