• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day afield with 8x42 NLs after 20 years using 8x32 EL and EL SVs. (2 Viewers)

Owlbarred

United States
Quick note: Before purchase, a superb BF member suggested we use FaceTime to ensure my satisfaction in buying his mint NLs -- a truly appreciated and helpful courtesy!

After so many years with 8x32 ELs, this was a big change. Coping comfortably with the greater weight for a prolonged period concerned me, and I definitely noticed the difference throughout the day. A Rick Young harness surely helped, though I will likely revert to my 20-year old elastic Zeiss harness for more comfort.

No need to echo the many BF comments on the NL's superb optics -- I could not agree more. Initially, I found myself foolishly inspecting all manner of peculiar distant items just for the 'thrill' of looking. And yes, the huge 9.1° FOV -- clear to the edges -- is an engineering marvel.

I will say that the NL's haptics blew me away. The wonderful short-throw focusing wheel is the smoothest I've ever used and its location enhances both balance and focusing. For my small hands/thick fingers, the open bridge is a blessing. The unique shape of the barrels -- which felt odd at first -- is an engineering tour de force though I realize some dislike it.

EL SV (and especially earlier EL) users like me will greatly appreciate the NL's improved eyecup adjusters, with their 6 distinct clicks.

My only complaint is the eyepiece covers -- their internal staggered knurls leave outlined impressions on the rubber eyecups. Not good.

For now, the 8x32s will remain my primary binos, with the 8x42's used when I need more light, especially late in the afternoon/early evening.

Rigorous testing by Holger Merlitz has shown that the SV and NL (8x32s) were optical clones, with FOV being the notable difference. Perhaps I'm suffering from newlywed or new car syndrome, but it's the NL as a whole which so greatly impresses me. Hoping for a long union.

Last edited:
I’d been thinking of writing a follow up non-technical review to update after just over a month since buying my NL 8x42s, but Owlbarred’s comments pretty much capture exactly what I would have said. I can also admit to looking at random stuff through them simply to marvel at the amazing view!

I’ve found the NL’s formidable combination of superb haptics (for me they could have been made to measure) combined with outstanding optics (particularly compared to what I’d been using previously) to be a completely satisfying combination. They’ve completely transformed my birding basically. I worried about the weight initially, and wondered whether I’d want to use my smaller lighter Zeiss FL 8x32s for longer walks, but that simply hasn’t happened.

I’ve briefly reverted to by old binoculars occasionally (the FLs and 7x42 BGAT*), just to make sure I’m not still in some kind of delusional honeymoon period, but each time I switch back I get the same “gosh, these are amazing…” sensation I had when I first looked through them. They cost more than I ever thought I’d spend on a binocular, but I really am super happy with them.

Just an open question from me - did you buy the NL’s with a view to replacing the EL’s or were the NL’s always a supplementary pair to the EL’s?

i was just trying to understand in face of your comment that “for now the the EL’s will remain my primary binos…”

i’m also going through some of the same considerations myself and like you hv been a 20yr + user of EL 32’s in all their variants so your thoughts may help me crystallise some of my thinking.

Just an open question from me - did you buy the NL’s with a view to replacing the EL’s or were the NL’s always a supplementary pair to the EL’s?

i was just trying to understand in face of your comment that “for now the the EL’s will remain my primary binos…”
Augment, but not replace.

The 8x32s (both my old ELs and SVs) are like an extension of my body after 20 years, as familiar and comfortable as on old pair of slippers. Optically, the 8x32 SVs are a formidable tool. For me, their small size and light weight are important: I walk at least 3 miles nearly every day on various trails year round in FL, with birding often incidental to the hike itself. The EL's light weight is a blessing.

So why blow the budget and buy the 8x42s? That requires an explanation, circuitous though it may be.

I usually begin a hike in late afternoon, often returning in the dark. Last autumn this routine led to the discovery and subsequent daily counts of overwintering harriers (Circus cyaneus) arriving at a grassland night roost, badly exposing the 8x32s Achille's heel -- veiling glare when looking westward towards the roost with a low sun and a dark background of distant trees (see link). Second, I wanted better low light performance after sunset. Hence, my purchase of the 8x42 NL.

8x32 EL: Late afternoon veiling glare at a harrier roost

Last evening, I had the NLs and saw my first harrier of the year coming to roost as the sun was setting. As the minutes passed, I was truly astounded by the NLs clarity and low light performance after so many years with the 8x32s. I will tell you this, the NLs huge FOV -- clear edge to edge -- is a big advantage when repeatedly scanning a huge expanse of open grassland, low light or not!

Certainly the NLs greater weight will bother me progressively less as the days go by and I get used to them. But hiking after dark with expensive binoculars and not knowing whether, if I fell, I would I protect my body or the binoculars is a bit haunting.

Last edited:
Augment, but not replace.

The 8x32s (both my old ELs and SVs) are like an extension of my body after 20 years, as familiar and comfortable as on old pair of slippers. Optically, the 8x32 SVs are a formidable tool. For me, their small size and light weight are important: I walk at least 3 miles nearly every day on various trails year round in FL, with birding often incidental to the hike itself. The EL's light weight is a blessing.

So why blow the budget and buy the 8x42s? That requires an explanation, circuitous though it may be.

I usually begin a hike in late afternoon, often returning in the dark. Last autumn this routine led to the discovery and subsequent daily counts of overwintering harriers (Circus cyaneus) arriving at a grassland night roost, badly exposing the 8x32s Achille's heel -- veiling glare when looking westward towards the roost with a low sun and a dark background of distant trees (see link). Second, I wanted better low light performance after sunset. Hence, my purchase of the 8x42 NL.

8x32 EL: Late afternoon veiling glare at a harrier roost

Last evening, I had the NLs and saw my first harrier of the year coming to roost as the sun was setting. As the minutes passed, I was truly astounded by the NLs clarity and low light performance after so many years with the 8x32s. I will tell you this, the NLs huge FOV -- clear edge to edge -- is a big advantage when repeatedly scanning a huge expanse of open grassland, low light or not!

Certainly the NLs greater weight will bother me progressively less as the days go by and I get used to them. But hiking after dark with expensive binoculars and not knowing whether, if I fell, I would I protect my body or the binoculars is a bit haunting.
I, too, had the NL 8x42 and in fact all the NL's. I was impressed with it at first, and then I started noticing glare in the bottom right corner of the FOV when ever I tilted the binoculars up. It was unpredictable and very aggravating. I soon found out why the NL 8x42 has six positions on the eye cup adjustment. It is because you have to be extremely precise on your setting, or you will get this glare.

I mean within less than a mm. Some people don't have a problem with it, because it can depend on your eye socket diameter and depth. But I did, and I couldn't get rid of it with eye cup adjustment, and neither could Holger Merlitz nor Binomania. The glare problem with the NL 8x42 is probably the reason Swarovski reduced the FOV on the NL 8x32 instead of increasing it because they knew they had a problem.

Binoamania said Swarovski should change the design with a new conformation of the optical hull or include a lens hood with every binocular. Swarovski should be responsible and redesign the binoculars or send the owners a lens hood to deal with the glare problem.

https://www.binomania.it/abbagliamento-nlpure/

bagliorenlpure-scaled-e1644247844768.jpg

Last edited:
I’m confused, are you sure of the species of those birds? (in Florida?)
Was initially puzzled why you asked because Circus cyaneus has been the scientific name for N. American harriers ad infinitum. Didn't know that the AOU North American Checklist Committee, based on DNA analyses, voted to change the scientific name of N. American harriers to C. hudsonius to clearly separate them genetically from the European hen harrier which shared the C. cyaneus designation. Glad you asked the question.

From Cornell's BNA:
"Within the Circus radiation, Northern Harrier is likely sister to the Hen Harrier (C. cyaneus), with which it was lumped from a period in the early 1900's until 2017, when the American Ornithological Society's North American Checklist Committee voted to split them."

Last edited:
Was initially puzzled why you asked because Circus cyaneus has been the scientific name for N. American harriers ad infinitum. Didn't know that the AOU North American Checklist Committee, based on DNA analyses, voted to change the scientific name of N. American harriers to C. hudsonius to clearly separate them genetically from the European hen harrier which shared the C. cyaneus designation. Glad you asked the question.

From Cornell's BNA:
"Within the Circus radiation, Northern Harrier is likely sister to the Hen Harrier (C. cyaneus), with which it was lumped from a period in the early 1900's until 2017, when the American Ornithological Society's North American Checklist Committee voted to split them."
Lumpers vs splitters forever.

I, too, had the NL 8x42 and in fact all the NL's. I was impressed with it at first, and then I started noticing glare in the bottom right corner of the FOV when ever I tilted the binoculars up. It was unpredictable and very aggravating. I soon found out why the NL 8x42 has six positions on the eye cup adjustment. It is because you have to be extremely precise on your setting, or you will get this glare.

I mean within less than a mm. Some people don't have a problem with it, because it can depend on your eye socket diameter and depth. But I did, and I couldn't get rid of it with eye cup adjustment, and neither could Holger Merlitz nor Binomania. The glare problem with the NL 8x42 is probably the reason Swarovski reduced the FOV on the NL 8x32 instead of increasing it because they knew they had a problem.

Binoamania said Swarovski should change the design with a new conformation of the optical hull or include a lens hood with every binocular. Swarovski should be responsible and redesign the binoculars or send the owners a lens hood to deal with the glare problem.

View attachment 1538279
Sadly, now I understand firsthand the validity of your post.

Yesterday, Day 3 with the NLs, one hour before sunset -- with no clouds blocking the sun unlike previous trip. Facing westward, by necessity, I scanned the huge open grasslands/marsh for any incoming harriers, but I never looked directly into the sun. There was a dark background of distant trees.

I mention the above in detail because in other settings/conditions the NLs have been truly spectacular and "heavenly."

But, yes, yesterday in the above setting/conditions the NLs were sometimes a PIA, with odd slivers of glare sometimes appearing in one or both barrels as I scanned the open area. Your photo shows glare on the bottom of the lenses, but depending on the arc of my scan, glare would also appear narrowly on the right or left edges of the lenses. And you are correct, adjusting the eyecups to reduce glare is imperfect and requires the touch of a surgeon. Of course, my newly installed Bino Bandit was worthless because the glare source was the objective lenses, not the eyepiece lenses.

By sunset, the wonderful NL performance returned, with incredible low light performance.

I emphasize again, that in other settings/conditions the NLs have been truly spectacular and "heavenly."

Last edited:
one hour before sunset -- with no clouds blocking the sun unlike previous trip. Facing westward, by necessity, I scanned the huge open grasslands/marsh for any incoming harriers,

This strikes me as one of the most difficult situations, and I wonder how many binoculars would actually perform well in those circumstances. Is there any way of observing from the north, or any other direction? If not, can you use something like a pair of clip-on shades over your glasses (if you use glasses) or sunglasses over that difficult period?

Sometimes fieldcraft and ingenuity can succeed where even the best kit fails.

Last edited:
Sadly, now I understand firsthand the validity of your post.

Yesterday, Day 3 with the NLs, one hour before sunset -- with no clouds blocking the sun unlike previous trip. Facing westward, by necessity, I scanned the huge open grasslands/marsh for any incoming harriers, but I never looked directly into the sun. There was a dark background of distant trees.

I mention the above in detail because in other settings/conditions the NLs have been truly spectacular and "heavenly."

But, yes, yesterday in the above setting/conditions the NLs were sometimes a PIA, with odd slivers of glare sometimes appearing in one or both barrels as I scanned the open area. Your photo shows glare on the bottom of the lenses, but depending on the arc of my scan, glare would also appear narrowly on the right or left edges of the lenses. And you are correct, adjusting the eyecups to reduce glare is imperfect and requires the touch of a surgeon. Of course, my newly installed Bino Bandit was worthless because the glare source was the objective lenses, not the eyepiece lenses.

By sunset, the wonderful NL performance returned, with incredible low light performance.

I emphasize again, that in other settings/conditions the NLs have been truly spectacular and "heavenly."
Just curious, did you have another binocular to see if it would be similar with glare under those conditions?

Glare coming from the sides might indicate that the IPD needs adjusting. I'm no surgeon, but I did find an eyecup length that is virtually glare free for me even under the conditions you describe. Just keep adjusting in toward the eyepieces until you begin to experience kidney beaning. Then back off just a little. You might require a setting between click stops like I do.

This strikes me as one of the most difficult situations, and I wonder how many binoculars would actually perform well in those circumstances. Is there any way of observing from the north, or any other direction? If not, can you use something like a pair of clip-on shades over your glasses (if you use glasses) or sunglasses over that difficult period?

Know that I greatly appreciate your suggestions and insights. And also your encouragement. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Facing west is unfortunately the only option because of landownership issues and access because of the marsh habitat.
It sure seems like, as you say, that this is a particularly challenging scenario for binocular use. Conditions at this particular site bedevil binoculars. I had severe veiling glare issues last year at this site with the 8x32 SVs. Thanks for the input.

Fellow Floridian here, I bought the 8x42 NL Pure back in 2020 and had glare problems as well. The photo in post #5 looks all too familiar.
I exchanged it for the 8x32 Victory SF shortly after and have not looked back since.

On another note, are these Circus cyaneus still in the vicinity? Could you provide me coordinates where to see them? :)

Facing west is unfortunately the only option because of landownership issues and access because of the marsh habitat.
It sure seems like, as you say, that this is a particularly challenging scenario for binocular use. Conditions at this particular site bedevil binoculars. I had severe veiling glare issues last year at this site with the 8x32 SVs. Thanks for the input.
EL SV are rather well known for that problem, so may not be the best for comparison.

I can also admit to looking at random stuff through them simply to marvel at the amazing view!
I’ve been doing that since my first encounter with binoculars.

I haven’t been very successful in convincing others, judging from the number of “I don’t look at birds very often, so I don’t really need good binoculars.“

Sigh

Last edited:
Facing west at sunset is how I test my binoculars for glare. It is the most difficult scenario possible. I had severe glare issues with all the NL's when I tested them in this way, and bad glare with the EL SV 8x32. And no, I didn't use a micrometer to set the eye cups and the IPD, as some suggest.

I have no glare in this situation with the SLC 8x56, SFL 8x40 or even the SFL 10x30. I can point them all right below the setting sun and I get a perfect view. I believe the SF and SFL's are much better at controlling glare than the EL and NL because of the knife-edge baffles Zeiss uses. They seem to be very effective at eliminating glare.

Last edited:

You’re exactly right. Your last paragraph is spot on.

Facing west at sunset is how I test my binoculars for glare. It is the most difficult scenario possible. I had severe glare issues with all the NL's when I tested them in this way, and bad glare with the EL SV 8x32. And no, I didn't use a micrometer to set the eye cups and the IPD, as some suggest.

I have no glare in this situation with the SLC 8x56, SFL 8x40 or even the SFL 10x30. I can point them all right below the setting sun and I get a perfect view. I believe the SF and SFL's are much better at controlling glare than the EL and NL because of the knife-edge baffles Zeiss uses. They seem to be very effective at eliminating glare.

Lest we forget Denco's previous words of widsom & advice about adjusting the Swarovski NL eye cups and IPD:

Sep 18, 2023
I tried all the NL's and I had problems with glare in all of them unless I got the eye cups adjusted exactly right,

So Dennis, when you adjusted all the different NL binoculars exactly right you weren't troubled by glare.
Good for everyone to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back