• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What started you birding. (5 Viewers)

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread - wonderful descriptions of what started everyone on the 'birding trail'. For myself, I can't remember a time when I didn't have a love for birds. As a youngster, I had many great birding adventures with my Grandparents. They had a love for all things wild and we spent many days out afield where birds were always a part of our days and nights. I was hooked the very first time my Grandpa took me owling as a child in eastern Oklahoma. I remember the night vividly to this day-- it was a night of awe and wonder, a night where I entered a realm of magic by listening to the hoots of owls and the calls of whipporwills. I have spent a lifetime listening to them, learning a bit about them and learning from them- but most of all enjoying them.

My birding began on my grandmothers farm in Kansas. I always like the farm because it had a wooded creek. I was 14 at the time and had a new bb gun. Well, kids will be kids. I shot a male Brown-headed Cowbird and was so interested in this starling, I thought, with a bright brown that I talked my father into buying me a bird book. I was hooked after that. Van Truan

I have been quite interested in birds for the majority of my life. I was delighted to see birds whenever they presented themselves but these were very common birds. The transition into a full on birding hobby started early last year with a visit to Dawlish Warren where I saw a few nice LBJs but did not find the hide or the wader roost at all thus the flames were still tepid at this moment. My father dies last March so Mum and I decided to get away in June to Jersey and at this stage I only had a small pair of 10x25 compacts to share between us. By chance I discovered a well concealed hide at St Ouen’s Pond on the west coast where we went to watch marvellous sunsets almost every night from Corbiere Lighthouse. I did not see much with the light fading but returned the day after and saw a birder there with the full gear which was bemusing to a non birder like myself at the time. I asked what was about and was told of two Marsh Harriers over the pond and roosting on the other side in some trees. I found these birds and the flames lit up a notch. The brilliant bloke told me of some Cetti’s Warblers in the reeds and I tried finding them without much luck, you can picture the scenario. Reed beds 30 metres in front of you down below and LBJ’s tazzing across then disappearing into the reeds. The birder, whose name I neglected to ask, then tried his best and caught one in his scope and told me to look. What I saw literally poured a gallon of paraffin on the flames, a beautifully detailed vista of a Cetti’s Warbler filling up the eyepiece. I was instantly hooked and decided I had to take it up full on. I spent the rest of the holiday whizzing around the coastline trying to see as many different birds as possible with only Oystercatchers to shout about. To me at the time the Oystercatchers were like finding Lord Lucan, I still marvel at these exquisite birds nowadays. I have since bought a good set of bins and a scope and my list now stands at a satisfying one hundred and fifty one birds since I started a list last August. It should easily increase with the advent of spring and the impending Slimbash. One regret is that my life long passion for fishing is starting to fall by the wayside.

That's a really nice story Andrew. I agree about Oystercatchers, by the way, I absolutely love them. I see them in flocks flying along the Exe estuary all the time and never tire of the spectacle.

Well, when I moved into my current property the people that we had bought it from had left up homemade birdhouses. I am a curious person, always have been. These houses were filled with House Sparrows. I had listened to them and watched them and began getting more curious and more curious. One unit at a time, I began buying feeders and bird books. Gradually other birds started coming to the yard. Eventually I was caught by the attention of birds and their sounds wherever I went. {And I still am...lol}

As you say Kevin, you never know what is going to set you off or at what age? I've noticed that people who take birding up quite late in life, like JohnJ, are real fanatics. I think they feel they have to make up for lost time!

Andrew
I don't know if you saw the message I sent before. It's gone now. I really liked the story you sent about when you started birding. My only question about that story is what is an LBJ? L. Brown Jay, or something like that. Jackdaw? Jacana?

LBJ is a british (might be american too) term. It is simply Little Brown Job referring to warblers, finches, spoarrows that fly off too quick for identification.

Rest assured it's not the doggy doo kind!

Actually Peter, I was already into gardening. Hearing the birds [in the houses, etc.] while I was working used to make it easier. Then I started taking breaks by watching them. Then the breaks got longer and longer. 8-P

The 1979 Blue Peter/RSPB Garden Birdwatch. I won a years subscription the the YOC encouraged by my parents I began to watch birds in the garden. Then later on because I was bullied by the boy across the road from me( I lived in a private house, he lived in a Council House) I fled into the countryside often leaving my house at dawn to avoid him & returnug at dusk.
I would see many different birds & plants & I was quiet honestly hooked.

The thing that keeps me going is that you never know what you are going to see around the next corner. since I have had access to a computer I can now publish my adventures for all to see & encourage more to take up Natural History related subjects.

I began by watching birds but you them need to learn what tree that bird is feeding on & what that butterfly was you have just seen , or what type of fungus is that!

It ias all related in some way or other.

CJ

Oh what a wonderful thread this is. I have been back again and again to read all your stories over and over.

I became a Birder a few years ago when I put a single Hummingbird feeder out in the backyard. Every day I watched hopefully. I watched and watched,noticing the nectar "evaporating" in the feeder. In the evening on the third day I saw a small,light ,fluttering of wings. A Hummer! I ran upstairs to tell my husband. It was 7:00Pm and I was crying,so excited,but then I ran back to look again and convinced myself it was just wishful thinking. It was three days before I saw the Hummer again. It was not my imagination,it was really there! They say you never forget the moment and the feeling when you see your first Hummer and it is true. From that moment on I started noticing other birds. I started feeding them along with the Hummers and providing water and shelter and now I have 26 hummer feeders,numerous seed feeders,plus several birdbaths. I am learning how to handfeed the different birds and can identify many birds by their voice alone. They teach such lessons in every day living, such joy in just being alive,and all I have to do is take the time to observe,it's free of charge.

First Belgian in this thread?

I started birding without even noticing it at that time, I was between 6-10 years old.My mother used to feed the birds in wintertime with leftovers from the table.
It was not so common in Belgium to feed the birds just for fun at that time!She named quite a lot off the visitors at our garden and i was wondered how She could recognised them all?
The next not so nice birdexperience was when i visit my Father's caugthing place!:( It was very common to catch birds for selling in the 60' or so.Gladly he did this only for a short period .
I broke his sticks (from a short off clapping net?)on an occasion just because I didn' t like what he was doing ,and fortunately for Me there was no punishment but understandig from him" I.... think"
The third and pre birding moment was, when i was on a holiday camp with a youth organisation.One off the leaders while hiking around pointed us youngsters, to see at overflying Buzzards.
At that time i was around 12 year and i recall seeing them a little bit as vultures.
This was my pre birding live My actual started in 1979 (19 years old) just married:),Me and my Lady at that time where in a bookclub and we must buy every 3 month's at least one book.
Accidentally? i bought a photobook (Fieldguide) about birds i don't know the right name of it now but still have it in the addict I think?
Anyway i was so impressed by the nice colors and variety off all the species in this book that i wanted to photograph myself.
But because it was quite expensive for the photo equipment i just bought a cheap bino and went outside first discoveries where (Jay-Blue& Great Tit)
But very different to the UK at that time when walking around with a bino You looked silly? or odd to the majority.
I can tell a lot more, but it's a little bit difficult to write it in English or to write at all :)

I hope you enjoyed my story

Greetz Raymond

Yours is a great story Raydes from Belgium and welcome to this forum and this thread. I understood every word you have written and often times I don't understand the stuff I write myself;) so I am impressed with your story and your command of the English language. Come back here and tell the rest of your story anytime:gh:

I have loved reading all these wonderful stories, and John I am definitely going to email you for your train story when I have finished this. I grew up in Kenya and my best thing was being out in the bush. But for some reason, whilst I loved, and spent many hours watching, animal life from the smallest to the largest, I tended to ignore the birds unless they were big or bright. A terrible confession, I know, and I can't bear to think that I wasted so many years - I could have seen so many more by now and could probably distinguish all those little things that I still struggle with and, in desperation, lump under 'LBJs'. When I came to South Africa, I became a real bushbaby and only really feel totally content when I am miles from anywhere and in a natural environment. But it took a seventeen year old schoolgirl to push me into more serious birding. We were driving along at about 50kph in the Kruger Park one day stopping to order every time an elephant or a lion or a herd of buffalo was spotted. "OOH! Stop! There's an elephant" or 'Stop! Stop! Look - a whole herd of buffalo!" or 'Stop - quick, I think I can see lion!"It was extremely hot and we had been driving for several hours, hence the speed. (Normally one would drive at about 20 - 30kph for game spotting). Anyway, one more excited screech came from the back " Stop, stop! I think I saw a pearlspotted owl-let!" Everyone turned to stare. An owl-let? What was that? And what on earth does it have to do with what we are here for - BIIIIIIIGG GAME! Anyway, we duly stopped, and then had to reverse for about 2km until we came to a small thorny acacia tree amongst many other small thorny acacia trees. Directed by her careful descriptions, our eyes followed: "You see this group of five trees?Go to the second from the left. Now start at the bottom branch on the right hand side. Another branch crosses it from the next door tree two thirds of the way along. Follow this branch to the trunk. Now - look at the branch just above it, about a handsbreadth out . . ." and at last we saw it, the tiniest and most exquisite owl, the same colour as the tree, spotted and marked like the tree,unmoving like the tree. I fell in love at once and these owls have been very special to me ever since. What astounded me was that she saw this tiny camouflaged bird whilst passing a grove of identical trees at 50kph! I was extremely impressed and had long conversations with her as she struggled to give me 'birding eyes' for the rest of the trip. It turned out that she had been bird watching almost from the cradle because it was her father's hobby and she had picked up on it. Right then and there I started a list of what we saw, but the following year (1985), by which time I had my own birding book ( I still have it, weighed down with sellotape and clear contact paper), I started a new list, ticking off in my book as I came across each new bird.

Sal

Thoroughly enjoyed this read of yours and I agree, that was some feat spotting that bird amongst the leaves and branches.

I have e-mailed you the firemans story with pleasure. If you want to read any more of my stories you only have to ask.

Thanks John. This is a very intetresting thread. Re the train story, we are having a few communication problems, but will get our IT guy onto it.
Andrew, I regret to say that many of my 'LBJ's' are so-called not because they flew off too quickly, but because they are so like others of their genus that I have difficulty in making a definite identification. They can sit there patiently for hours and I am still struggling! Er - I do this with people too sometimes . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back