• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to feed/do with a baby jackdaw (2 Viewers)

kateg

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help me, I work in a vets and somebody brought in a baby jackdaw yesterday which they said was lost and in danger of been killed by traffic. He is very sweet and I was feeding him cat food yesterday but today he wasn't very keen on the cat food and ate very little. is there anything else I can feed him or is cat food the best option?

I am really worried he will die he is not terribly steady or good at perching even though he's quite big, is this normal?

Also he is rather tame and doesn't eat unless food is put into his mouth. Will it be ok to release a tame bird and should I be hand feeding him or leave it to him to eat alone?

Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated, I don't have much experience with birds!

Hi Kateg - welcome to BF

I'm thinking surely the Vet can advise you!? Doesn't he or she have any contact with any bird rehabbers?

This is no way directed at you, but perhaps working in a Vets, you could have advised the person who brought it in that uninjured baby birds should not be removed from an area, simply removing it from immediate danger and letting parent come back to feed it is the wisest option, the parents usually find them! Now you have the bird, I'd suggest you take it to a bird sanctuary/bird rehabber, since it's probably too late to return it to the parents. (I'm assuming the Vet you work for at least knows about wild birds enough to ensure it's not injured!?)

BTW It's NOT a tame bird, it is a wild one and illegal not to release it once it has fledged!

Last edited:
I think you know what I meant Poecile - ie. I was trying to make a distinction between a bird being deliberately tamed because they are ''sweet'' or whatever. Still a wild bird. And no, if impaired shouldn't be released - thus, if uninjured AND fledged which I stated.

The point is, the baby birds should be given to a rehabber - ie. someone who does have experience hand rearing baby birds regardless of how ''sweet'' or ''tame'' they are and tempting to look after oneself.

Ta thats not really helpful.

It wasn't up to me whether the bird was left alone or not so it's too late for that.

It cannot be released until it is able to fly and theres no bird sanctuaries in the area. I want to do what I can to keep it alive in the meantime. And no there is no sign of injury but it is young and that's why I'm worried about it. Also I wasn't talking about keeping it in a cage for the rest of it's like when I said can a tamed wild bird be released, what I meant was am I doing the wrong thing in hand feeding it and making it tamer, and if it's not afraid of humans of course it is tame.

Doesn't the Vet you work for not have any advice for you? Usually the ''advice'' on BF is to refer people to a professional if they have no experience in hand rearing birds

I don't want to tame it because it is sweet but it doesn't eat on it's own and I don't want it to die. Deborah you are not helping at all being a smart arse

I was under the impression that vets euthanased wild birds brought in to them? Rearing a wild bird is difficult and time-consuming, and the chances of a successful outcome are slim. It's not just a case of 'when it can fly', as fledglings need weaning for several weeks after that too. Perhaps euthanasia tomorrow would be better for all concerned. It's not a pet, so don't let emotions stand in the way. Chances are that it will starve to death sooner or later. Have a word with the boss tomorrow? 99.99% of fledglings that are picked up are doomed.

Kateg, perhaps you need to calm down a little. I'm not being a 'smart arse' or accusing you of wanting to keep the bird yourself. It was you that mentioned you worked for a Vet, I'm simply saying that's the best source of advice. If he doesn't know, then he must have contacts for someone that can help you. I'm sure it isn't the first time, well meaning people have picked uninjured baby birds up and brought them to a vet! (And I wasn't accusing you of doing that either! As I said in my earlier post ''This is no way directed towards you''.)

However, since you work in a professional environment, I'm suggesting you have all the access to information that you need. People on BF are NOT professionals and as such generally refer people to rehabbers/vets etc.

Phone the RSPCA - perhaps they can advise you. In the very least, find someone in your local area who has had experience of hand rearing/weaning/releasing wild birds - seeking ''unprofessional advice' over the internet is not particularly helpful to you or the bird in this instance and may even make the chances of the bird surviving even less!

Last edited:
That's exactly what I don't want to happen. Sorry but I disagree, I think he deserves a fair try, I wouldn't want to be euthanised if I were him. We don't normally euthanise birds unless they're very badly injured. The majority do very well, but they are usually pidgeons.

T I think he deserves a fair try

Then seek help in your local area/phone the RSPCA for any contacts/ask your Vet for any contacts

Not sure what you meant by ''that's exactly what you don't want to happen'' (I see now that was a response to Poeciles post).

If you say you ''don't normally euthanise baby birds'' that are brought in, then do you mind me asking what you do ''normally do with them''? ie. the ''majority'' that do really well.

You've already said you have no experience, so ask someone else in the Practice to help you for goodness sake who's been involved in the ''majority'' of baby birds that have done well - I'm assuming those birds were eventually weaned and released - no?!

Last edited:
No dis-respect to you Deborah but reading that, it did in parts sound like you were almost telling her off for just having the bird. It's obvious that whoever picked it up did wrong but now kate wants to do the best she can for the bird. I know you are trying to help but it does sound a little aggressive.

now kate wants to do the best she can for the bird.

Then perhaps you could explain to me why someone who works in a Vets, a practice which is apparently used to taking in baby birds, the majority being released/successfully reared (and don't euthanase them btw!), comes on to an internet forum saying they have no experience with baby birds (and asking some very basic questions a Vet would be able to answer/or find out for her), then ignores all the standard advice normally given, seems very reluctant to contact any professional organisation or even approach the colleagues at the vet she works for?

Not meant to be ''agressive'', on the contrary, it seems I was met with an agressive response when taking time to help, including directing the OP towards a sticky thread, suggesting asking her Vet for contacts etc with the best interest of the bird in mind!

(even offered to try and find a rehabber who'd take the bird in - but no response ...)

Whole thing seems odd to me ... so forgive me if I didn't get the impression the interests of the bird were overriding any personal desires/needs to 'rescue' it, as in all circumstances they should.

Last edited:
Maybe Kate would like to answer as to why the vet didn't advise her

I agree ... or even why she doesn't want to involve other people in the Veterinary Practice where she claims to work who have had experience.

I think that the needs of the bird should come first here

I also agree and the advice I gave has nothing to do with how she acquired the bird in the first place, as I stated in my original post and everything to do with putting the needs of the bird first.

Well the link proves the point really -

1. Upto 6mnths care required before release
2. Half hour feeds
3. An aviary required in order to wean

Just to name a few requirements

An awful lot of commitment and work for somebody with a job.
http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformatio...ryTechniques/UKBHusbIndTech/HR_Av_Corvids.htm[/QUOTE]

It also states in LEVEL OF EXPERTISE REQUIRED; 'preferably bird should be given to a rehabber'

If Kateg answers the question as to where she lives (and the vet she works for) at least we can help find out where the nearest centre is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back