• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the latest on Meopta? (1 Viewer)

At least here in Germany the number of hunters is growing.
However I had a lengthy talk with our local hunting shop owner (who's a hunter himself) and he said a main reason was Covid because hunters had a few special rules concerning how much they had to follow any lockdown rules. So not everyone here who gets his hunter's license is necessarily actually an active hunter.
Also - they legalized nightvision equipment just recently here which cuts into sales of binos. It was the death of the 9x63 format most definitely.

Never spent too much time with a Conquest, however from an optical perspective it does compete with the Zeiss FL IMO. The issue of the B1+ 8X32 for many is not the optics but (ergonomics) - the eyecup diameter on the smaller side. Although the Leica rubbers from a UV 10X42 overlaying the Meopta eyecups, would solve the issue for many with eye sockets too deep. Some potential buyers would say there is not much difference in the price of $780 for the Conquest and $999 for the B1+, so a toss up.
I find the B1+ 8X42 I purchased here in the BF classifieds to be an excellent glass, right up there with the big three IMO - similar to Leica with respect to contrast and color. It is on the heavy side similar to the NL and Noctivid, but more compact which I like.
The Fl mentioned here ..... the same time we received our Meopta MeoStar 10x32 B1.1, we had also purchased a Zeiss FL 10x32. The Zeiss had a very late serial number so I knew it had all of its possible upgrades/coating. We received an unbelievable deal on amazon for the old stock 10x32FL Zeiss and since the purchase price between the Meopta and the Zeiss were within $75 dollars I thought for sure we would be sending the MeoStar back and keeping the Zeiss. Not so, when I compared both side by side I found the view thru the MeoStar more to my liking. Even my significant other liked the optical view more on the Meopta MeoStar over the Zeiss. If we had not had both side by side to compare and not had the MeoStar, the Zeiss 10x32 FL would still be with us. I know resale wise the Zeiss would have been hands down better than the MeoStar but the MeoStar just had that little xtra pop when we put it to our eyes.

Thanks for that comparison. Unfortunately the B1 Plus line no longer includes 10x32, so you got yours just in time.

Gcole, sorry, but I've lost track of some of these accounts, so could you please recap:

You prefer, or did,

(1) the view thru. MeoStar 8x32 B1.1 to that thru. MeoStar 8x32 B1 Plus, and

(2) thru MeoStar 10x32 B1.1 to that thru. Zeiss Victory FL 10x32,

and you now use, or have, Meostar B1.1 in 8x32 and 10x32. Yes/No is fine, thanks.

Anyone, did Meopta make for Cabelas an HD version of MeoStar B1.1 or B1 Plus in 8x32, or in both 8x32 and 10x32? Any reviews, in BirdForum or elsewhere? Are any still available unused, and if so where? Thank you!

Adding in edit:

Re my last question above, again I find some material after posting that I missed in my prelim. homework! Had a vague memory of such a model/s. Am now reminded they were named Cabelas Instinct Euro HD. It is not clear to me why they were available as Cabelas but not Meopta. I do still wish to know whether one can get an unused 10x32 today.

Last edited:
Gcole, sorry, but I've lost track of some of these accounts, so could you please recap:

You prefer, or did,

(1) the view thru. MeoStar 8x32 B1.1 to that thru. MeoStar 8x32 B1 Plus, and

(2) thru MeoStar 10x32 B1.1 to that thru. Zeiss Victory FL 10x32,

and you now use, or have, Meostar B1.1 in 8x32 and 10x32. Yes/No is fine, thanks.

Anyone, did Meopta make for Cabelas an HD version of MeoStar B1.1 or B1 Plus in 8x32, or in both 8x32 and 10x32? Any reviews, in BirdForum or elsewhere? Are any still available unused, and if so where? Thank you!
When I compared the Meostar 8x32 B1.1 side by side to the 8x32 Meostar B1.1 Plus, with my eyes I saw no difference Optically between each other. So we just kept the B1.1. If there was an improvement in the coating’s or the glass of the B1.1 Plus pair I could not see it.

When we compared our Meostar B1.1 10x32 to the Zeiss 10x32 FL we thought our Meostar B1.1 10x32 gave us a sharper/clearer view to our eyes. Comparing their build quality/handling characteristics to each other side by side, hands down we liked the little Meostar better. Also the Meostar gave us more eye relief with our glasses on. Also I would like to say, that I did not think the Zeiss 10x32 Fl’s were defective in anyway. The Zeiss were very impressive in every category but when we did the side by side comparison our eyes chose the Meopta Meostar B1.1

We still have the Meostar B1.1 10x32, though they do not get much use anymore.

Gcole, thank you. Why do you not use a 10x32 bino which you have and praise? I ask because I have a Zeiss Conquest 10x32 which "does not agree with me" and am thinking of possibly replacing it with another 10x32, now possibly a MeoStar 10x32 HD (please see above).

Anyone, did Meopta make for Cabelas an HD version of MeoStar B1.1 or B1 Plus in 8x32, or in both 8x32 and 10x32?
Yes, both 8x and 10x32. They do turn up on eBay; I think I saw two recently. Dark green armor: the B1 equivalent with the shame shape minus dimples, while the 1.1 equivalent got a new busier design and a knurled (metal?) focuser. Never a Plus though, as Euro HD was discontinued around the time Dick's bought Cabela's. I haven't heard anyone with Meopta 32s complain about CA, so I'm not sure HD would make much difference; Meopta could easily do this themselves and still don't. (Or do they just have hunters in mind rather than birders?)

I'm a 10x32 fan myself and can unreservedly recommend Leica models from BN to HD+ (unless you wear glasses and need more eye relief) or Zeiss FL. And I've heard only good things about the EL. (There's also an NL in the classifieds now for £1600)

Last edited:
Thank you, Tenex. It is strange that Meopta should enhance optically, design and manufr. two configs. to be sold only thru. Cabelas.

Am undecided among 10x32, 10x42, and 12x50, in MeoStar HD, to add to a 15x56. After your post searched more on the 'net and came across an unused "MeoStar HD" 10x32 in Canada. The box says MeoStar but not HD. "HD" may be a mistake.

If I do go for a replacement 10x32 (selling off the Zeiss Conquest is certain) it is, however, not likely to be Leica. This is mostly because of my odd eye placement. I hold the eyecups a little away from the eye sockets. It may be this that mainly upsets my view thru. the Zeiss Conquest, altho. also I'm not happy with its color rendition. I would like to try the MeoStar, i.e. Cabelas, HD 10x32, but accessing and trying out any bino model is near impossible where I live!

Last edited:
Mini-review of B1 Plus 8x32:
I've long been curious, and an attractive sale price on the 8x32 finally tempted me to try one.

This is the latest Plus version; photos below show it folded to a typical IPD, front and back (views hard to find online). The armor is now nicely grippy, without thumb indents (which would annoy me on so small a bin). The MeoStar has a very solid quality, with a smooth focuser that rotates while the diopter ring remains fixed, unlike Leica BN/UV. Diopter adjustment however is too stiff, causing the hinge (which otherwise seemed tight enough) to move while fiddling with it. Focusing is somewhat slower than on BN/UV or Zeiss FL, but there's nothing to measure turns precisely by. Weight without accessories still measures 21.4oz or 607g, not 18.4oz as stated in Meopta's catalog.

The eyecups twist out in two stops with a fine solid feel. Much has been made of their unusually small diameter (34mm while our others range 38-41mm) but when resting against the eye they're comfortable enough. The problem is that my wife and I both get blackouts due to their insufficient depth: B1 has 2mm more stated ER than BN, but shallower eyecups. Without eyeglasses, we have to hold it away from our face, which is tiresome and unstable. I've had this problem to a lesser extent with several other bins (as others with different anatomy may not) and it may be exacerbated in this case by the small diameter. This has been such a frequent complaint, it's hard to imagine why the recent Plus makeover didn't include deeper eyecups for the 8x32.

The large eyepieces have a concave surface (what can be told from that?), with two faint false pupils that are well separated from the exit pupil. The tubes are thoroughly blackened internally. Rectilinear distortion is low yet there's no globe effect, a very nice optical design that must have changed at some point, since the Allbinos review criticized strong pincushioning in the original B1. FOV is at the high end of the range for 8x bins (before SF/NL). The view seems brighter than expected from a stated transmission of 88%, with good contrast and slightly warm colors similar to BN. Central sharpness is nearly as good as our BN or FL, but there is quite noticeable blurring toward the edge, mainly field curvature. CA is better controlled than in BN, even without the HD glass that other MeoStars have. Close focus is excellent, stated as 5.6ft/1.7m.

This is in many ways a great binocular but due to several issues mentioned, I will sadly be returning it... so ask any questions this weekend.

Attachments

• B1 Plus 8x32 front.jpg
    B1 Plus 8x32 front.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 23
  • B1 Plus 8x32 back.jpg
    B1 Plus 8x32 back.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Were these comparisons to a FL and BN 8X32, because I find them better than the BN 8X32 (serial # 154XXXX) and the FL 8X32with regards to edge sharpness. The BN is a nice glass, however the Meopta is clearly an improvement to my eyes. Additionally the color rendition IMO is improved as compared to the FL (serial # 463XXXX).

Thanks for that observation. We mainly use 10x, and our FL and BN are 10x32, so I don't have the most appropriate field curvature comparison. It has been said here that the 10x FL does better than the 8x, and the same may be true of BN. I didn't compare the MeoStar with our 8x, the E II, because the FOV is so different. So this is actually very good, for an 8x. That means my objections are really only mechanical, not optical: the eyecups and diopter.

Yes, the B1 colors are lovely, more like BN (as I said) than FL which has lower contrast. Of course that does well in some situations too.

Edit: Today, I think central sharpness may be about as good as BN/FL too. I just have trouble with this diopter for some reason.

Last edited:
It just goes to show, how eyecup length with respect to eye relief provides different viewing conditions for observers with varying facial features. The eyecup length is fine for me (deep set eyes).

Mini-review of B1 Plus 8x32:
I've long been curious, and an attractive sale price on the 8x32 finally tempted me to try one.

This is the latest Plus version; photos below show it folded to a typical IPD, front and back (views hard to find online). The armor is now nicely grippy, without thumb indents (which would annoy me on so small a bin). The MeoStar has a very solid quality, with a smooth focuser that rotates while the diopter ring remains fixed, unlike Leica BN/UV. Diopter adjustment however is too stiff, causing the hinge (which otherwise seemed tight enough) to move while fiddling with it. Focusing is somewhat slower than on BN/UV or Zeiss FL, but there's nothing to measure turns precisely by. Weight without accessories still measures 21.4oz or 607g, not 18.4oz as stated in Meopta's catalog.

The eyecups twist out in two stops with a fine solid feel. Much has been made of their unusually small diameter (34mm while our others range 38-41mm) but when resting against the eye they're comfortable enough. The problem is that my wife and I both get blackouts due to their insufficient depth: B1 has 2mm more stated ER than BN, but shallower eyecups. Without eyeglasses, we have to hold it away from our face, which is tiresome and unstable. I've had this problem to a lesser extent with several other bins (as others with different anatomy may not) and it may be exacerbated in this case by the small diameter. This has been such a frequent complaint, it's hard to imagine why the recent Plus makeover didn't include deeper eyecups for the 8x32.

The large eyepieces have a concave surface (what can be told from that?), with two faint false pupils that are well separated from the exit pupil. The tubes are thoroughly blackened internally. Rectilinear distortion is low yet there's no globe effect, a very nice optical design that must have changed at some point, since the Allbinos review criticized strong pincushioning in the original B1. FOV is at the high end of the range for 8x bins (before SF/NL). The view seems brighter than expected from a stated transmission of 88%, with good contrast and slightly warm colors similar to BN. Central sharpness is nearly as good as our BN or FL, but there is quite noticeable blurring toward the edge, mainly field curvature. CA is better controlled than in BN, even without the HD glass that other MeoStars have. Close focus is excellent, stated as 5.6ft/1.7m.

This is in many ways a great binocular but due to several issues mentioned, I will sadly be returning it... so ask any questions this weekend.
Nice review....about the same review as a B1.1..... same bin for the most part. What was your attractive price? jim

Yes, top quality glass, I can see now why they don't need to tinker further with the optics. Which only makes me more curious what B2 would have involved: presumably a wider field, maybe flat, maybe not...?

I got CameraLand's year-end sale, $999. Adjusted for inflation, that's about what they used to cost. Otherwise several hundred more now, but look what SFLs are going for.

Meopta has been such a basket case with marketing, even when I worked in the industry 15 years ago.

I remember when Cabela's sold them as the Euro, and there was controversy over the differences between them and the Meopta versions, controversy over what coatings were on what bino's, complaints over the eyecups that never get addressed, which models have HD glass etc. Now there is the obvious WTF over the marketing literature saying magnesium, when it still appears to be aluminum, no one knows when/if the B2 will ever be launched, crazy price increases, the list goes on.

They have the ability to make alpha class optics, in Europe, in house, at presumably lower cost than Germany/Austria. So much potential, if only they could get their marketing in order.

FWIW I have owned a Cabela's version 10x42 HD since 2016. It's been my main bino since then (only other bino is a Swarovski pocket 8x20.) They have proven to be a reliable workhorse for coming up on 8 years this March. The Cabela's versions were optically identical, the bar codes from Meopta would differentiate between HD for 10x42 and 15x56 or non-HD for the 8x42 etc.

Meopta B1 plus models certainly have gone up - substantially - in price over the last couple of years.
Meopta B1 Plus 8x32 is a very fine binocular - but at the current price I am not sure I would recommend it. For the price I paid two three years ago - certainly an option. I did score a Meopta new old stock B1.1 8x32 just last week, should arrive soon. I did miss the one I had a little too much.

Even if the B1 plus benefits from possibly higher optical tolerances due to Meopta upgrading their polishing, grinding and coating equipment I could not see any difference between the B1.1 and B1 plus 8x32. As a whole I do prefer the older B1.1 for the grip.

I use it with glasses and have narrow IPD so it fits me very well.

I have a 2020 made Meopta 12x50HD which has a perfect focuser, impeccable performance and is a solid keeper. Today the price increase has taken the price from 12800 SEK to 20790 SEK. Even if the SEK is weak at the moment that is a SUBSTANTIAL price increase! However, the 12x50HD competes with the top end glass from Leica and Swarovski at about 2/3 of the price. But, it used to be almost 1/2 the price.

I really appreciate the 12x50HD the more I use it.

As for the Meostar B2 model I think that the future is really uncertain. Given the sale of Meopta and their involvement with the military and space industries for advanced optical systems I think that the binocular consumer range is far from the top of the priority list. I am hoping that they will at least make an effort to keep the Meostar range going. At least they still make them. As for the lower ranges I don't really care for them.

Who knows what's going on at Meopta? At least some people had the B2 series as their project at Meopta and hopefully they can push for a continuation of the Meostar line.

As for advertising and marketing - I doubt it can be much worse, it is virtually non existent as it is.

Meopta B1 plus models certainly have gone up - substantially - in price over the last couple of years.
Meopta B1 Plus 8x32 is a very fine binocular - but at the current price I am not sure I would recommend it. For the price I paid two three years ago - certainly an option. I did score a Meopta new old stock B1.1 8x32 just last week, should arrive soon. I did miss the one I had a little too much.

Even if the B1 plus benefits from possibly higher optical tolerances due to Meopta upgrading their polishing, grinding and coating equipment I could not see any difference between the B1.1 and B1 plus 8x32. As a whole I do prefer the older B1.1 for the grip.

I use it with glasses and have narrow IPD so it fits me very well.

I have a 2020 made Meopta 12x50HD which has a perfect focuser, impeccable performance and is a solid keeper. Today the price increase has taken the price from 12800 SEK to 20790 SEK. Even if the SEK is weak at the moment that is a SUBSTANTIAL price increase! However, the 12x50HD competes with the top end glass from Leica and Swarovski at about 2/3 of the price. But, it used to be almost 1/2 the price.

I really appreciate the 12x50HD the more I use it.

As for the Meostar B2 model I think that the future is really uncertain. Given the sale of Meopta and their involvement with the military and space industries for advanced optical systems I think that the binocular consumer range is far from the top of the priority list. I am hoping that they will at least make an effort to keep the Meostar range going. At least they still make them. As for the lower ranges I don't really care for them.

Who knows what's going on at Meopta? At least some people had the B2 series as their project at Meopta and hopefully they can push for a continuation of the Meostar line.

As for advertising and marketing - I doubt it can be much worse, it is virtually non existent as it is.
I think it's also important to remember that I think Meopta sold to a hedge fund. I don't want to keep bogged down in unconscious assumptions and generalizations. But hedge funds are known for assessing situations on a purely numbers basis and having a product-goal orientation -- "what innovation can we offer here?" - as a more second priority, i.e. an outlier situation.

I think it's also important to remember that I think Meopta sold to a hedge fund. I don't want to keep bogged down in unconscious assumptions and generalizations. But hedge funds are known for assessing situations on a purely numbers basis and having a product-goal orientation -- "what innovation can we offer here?" - as a more second priority, i.e. an outlier situation.
I agree. Probably pure number crunching from their part. Usually that leads to streamlining the portfolio and in worst case Meopta loses the uniqueness of the brand and turns into just another optics manufacturer, catering more to other industries.

Thinking about it, the new investors are probably not very well aware of the history of Meopta other than "brochure deep".
They might not have been looking closely at how Meopta have been advertising (or NOT) the different segments over time.
Surely they look at the numbers - but not what has been done to achieve those numbers through creating and sustaining brand recognition. Meopta could have been a bigger brand on the consumer side.

I am not sure of how Meopta execs and staff are involved in the take over turmoil. Meopta are large enough that there must be a lot of aspects that get overlooked and the new "strategy" might not be in line with Meoptas previous engagement in the respective market segments, consumer or industry. What I am afraid of is that they will axe the consumer part of the company and focus on the industrial relations.

That is one of the reasons I recently repurchased the Meopta B1.1 8x32 - if the binocular part ceases to exist completely I will at least own two fine binoculars from them.

And if I am wrong, which I hope I am, then we can eventually look forward to a B2 binocular series from them. And that could be exciting, but I ain't holding my breath...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back