• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your favourite bins of all time..... and why? (4 Viewers)

This is so hard to answer. For all-round nature observation my all -time favourite is SF8x32 but for a view that is simply a pleasure to look at then I immediately think of my Meopta MeoStar 7x42 for much the same reasons as mentioned by Yarrellii. Really regret never having had the opportunity to try FL7x42.

Lee
Has the Zeiss SF 8x32 displaced your Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32?

Has the Zeiss SF 8x32 displaced your Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32?
No because the Conquest HD has a significantly faster focus speed so it excells in certain habitats such as lowland wetlands with a high density of species appearing rapidly at different distances. For all other habitats though I prefer the SF and the precision of its focus. I said the OP's question was difficult to answer and yes Conquest HD 8x32 is right up there with SF and MeoStar.

Lee

No because the Conquest HD has a significantly faster focus speed so it excells in certain habitats such as lowland wetlands with a high density of species appearing rapidly at different distances. For all other habitats though I prefer the SF and the precision of its focus. I said the OP's question was difficult to answer and yes Conquest HD 8x32 is right up there with SF and MeoStar.

Lee
And this is what I was questioning.... definately NOT what is the best, but what is your favourite.
My Meostars are BETTER than my CL8x25's, but on balance, if I was pushed to one pair, the CL's take it.

Lee, do you ever feel disappointed optically when going back to the Conquests after the SF's, or do you find the conquests still hold their own??

... for a view that is simply a pleasure to look at then I immediately think of my Meopta MeoStar 7x42 for much the same reasons as mentioned by Yarrellii. Really regret never having had the opportunity to try FL7x42.
There's something about 7x binoculars, the combination of stable view, increased depth (and even more in 7x Porros) and then when matched with top optics is just breathtaking. I haven't used the 7x42 Meostar, but I had the 7x50 for a while and the view was lovely. I think more in the line of a Leica 7x42 (think BN or UV). Among those incredible binoculars it's just a matter of taste. I compared the 7x42 UVHD to the FL and there was no "worse". They image on both seemed "dreamlike", more "rounded/full/sweet" in the Leica, but brighter and even more surreal in the FL. If there was ever a "bino-pleasurometer" the 7x42 would score really high 😃

And this is what I was questioning.... definately NOT what is the best, but what is your favourite.
My Meostars are BETTER than my CL8x25's, but on balance, if I was pushed to one pair, the CL's take it.

Lee, do you ever feel disappointed optically when going back to the Conquests after the SF's, or do you find the conquests still hold their own??
See post 22

Lee

What Meostars do you have? Thanks!

There's something about 7x binoculars, the combination of stable view, increased depth (and even more in 7x Porros) and then when matched with top optics is just breathtaking. I haven't used the 7x42 Meostar, but I had the 7x50 for a while and the view was lovely. I think more in the line of a Leica 7x42 (think BN or UV). Among those incredible binoculars it's just a matter of taste. I compared the 7x42 UVHD to the FL and there was no "worse". They image on both seemed "dreamlike", more "rounded/full/sweet" in the Leica, but brighter and even more surreal in the FL. If there was ever a "bino-pleasurometer" the 7x42 would score really high 😃
The Habicht 7x42 is like that also, and it has that incredible 3D view and super high transmission. You just have to learn to tolerate the narrow FOV. The Habicht 7x42 is completely different from most binoculars, for sure!

Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL

Maybe not my favorite, but my most used. Small, lightweight, great optics, very convenient to grab and use.
It is not very pretty with its ugly green rubber covering but it does what a binocular should do.

edj
I respectfully disagree with you, IMHO the rubber covering looks beautiful on the Zeiss FL's, especially in green. Like it does look beautiful in green on my Habicht 10x40 GA and in black on my Zeiss 15x60 BGAT.

My favorite binocular of all time would have to be the Nikon E2 8x30 .Their look (beautiful), the feel of them in my hands , the wonderful center sharpness , the large fov and perceived build quality does it for me . Significant astigmatism and the need for glasses ended that love affair but I still feel they are my all time favorite . I liked both the 8x30 and 10x35 E2's better than the 8x32 and 10x42 Nikon SE's although the 10x35E2 and 10x42SE were for very close for user thrill .

Hello Albie,

I certainly preferred the 8x30EII over the 8x32 SE. I found the SE to be unfriendly compared to the EII. I traded my EII for an 8x32FL because it was more robust, sacrificing a bit of FOV.

Stay safe,
Arthur

(edited)

Rg548,

On that basis, despite its short comings, the Kowa 6.5x32. My sample is likely a cherry. IMO for the price, it's a great "just one" candidate or a very useful low mag glass to compliment the more common 8 and 10. One thing not often mentioned, close focus performance and IQ is as good as it gets, better for me than the Papillio 6.5. It sees more use than anything else.

During the peak of the total lunar eclipse a few nights ago the Kowa delivered by far the best image as compared to SW 65mm scope and 12x50 EL FP, Canon 12x36 IS III, and Anniversary ED II 8x30. During the peak period (as opposed to the run up) the image through all the others appeared slightly dull and did not capture the beautiful orange color of the moon nor the resulting super 3D effect, both to be seen with the naked eye. The Kowa rendered everything accurately and beautifully. That impression you sometimes get that there is nothing between your eyes and the image.

Mike

For me its hard to name one, but my two all time favourite are:

Leica Duovid 10-15x50 and Leica Ultravid 8x20.

The Duovid give me essentially two excellent binoculars in one, and on their 15x magnification are nearly in spotting scope territory.

The Ultravid give me a pocket sized binocular that I can take with me everywhere with ease, and for my eyes, give me the same optical quality as I see with my Duovid.

For me in person, it's easy: my green Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA.

I bought it in 1993 and since then have not found yet a similar (just for me - YMMV!) satisfiable combination of optical quality, ease of view, useful magnification, low-light capability, sturdy construction, compact size, pleasing haptics and last not least beautiful, ageless design.

Admittedly, there are binos with e.g. smoother diopters, higher transmission, larger FOV, lower weight and so on. And I know those binos; I have bought and sold some of them over the years. But all told I prefer my trusty, sustainable Trinovid.

Very hard to choose one because of magnification differences, but if I had to, first choice would be Leica Noctivid 8x42. Close second choice would be Swarovski 10x42 NL.

The Noctivids give that luscious Leica image quality like no other and everything about the build quality is second to none. The rubber armor feel, the weight balance the smooth focuser, the eyecups are all top of the line. A phenomenal all around optical tool and It’s just such a jewel.

The Swaro NL , the image is also amazing but in a different way than the Leica. Same level, just a different image flavor. Then ad that huge, bright usable, almost to the edge FOV make the NLs a true a rocket of technology. Just such a unique and fine modern take of an optical tool.

Paul

Hello Albie,

I certainly preferred the 8x30EII over the 8x32 SE. I found the SE to be unfriendly compared to the EII. I traded my EII for an 8x32FL because it was more robust, sacrificing a bit of FOV.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Gm Arthur, I see we’re neighbors 👋.

Do you wear glasses? if not, could you say what it was that you made you like the E2’s over the SE? And define what unfriendly meant to you.
Thank you

Paul

Gm Arthur, I see we’re neighbors 👋.

Do you wear glasses? if not, could you say what it was that you made you like the E2’s over the SE? And define what unfriendly meant to you.
Thank you

Paul
Hello Paul,

I live in New York, NY and I bird watch in Central Park. See my long running thread. As our state is large, neighbors might be an exaggeration.

There is at least one person on this forum who complains when I criticise the SE, as it was rather popular, fifteen years ago. However, since you asked, I will write of my experience.

I found the SE to have a less than generous FOV, maybe by only .5º, but enough to notice. Secondly, I was having difficulties with blackouts or the "kidney bean" effect, a complaint of some eyeglass wearers like me. Many users have no such problem but I did. Perhaps, the flatter field was not particularly comfortable for me. It felt as if I had to fight the binocular. Elkcub discussed this in this thread, post #9 and #13. As an analogy, I found Apple computers far more friendly than Windows computers.

As the SE has now been discontinued in the USA, Fiske on Cloudy Night, see post no. 4, found customer service to be lacking for a binocular which should have been repaired under guarantee. A couple of years ago, there was a thread on BirdForum about difficulty replacing the eye cups from Nikon, USA.

Before I settled on the FL, I was content with a Leica 8x32BN, but the Fl won out.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello Paul,

I live in New York, NY and I bird watch in Central Park. See my long running thread. As our state is large, neighbors might be an exaggeration.

There is at least one person on this forum who complains when I criticise the SE, as it was rather popular, fifteen years ago. However, since you asked, I will write of my experience.

I found the SE to have a less than generous FOV, maybe by only .5º, but enough to notice. Secondly, I was having difficulties with blackouts or the "kidney bean" effect, a complaint of some eyeglass wearers like me. Many users have no such problem but I did. Perhaps, the flatter field was not particularly comfortable for me. It felt as if I had to fight the binocular. Elkcub discussed this in this thread, post #9 and #13. As an analogy, I found Apple computers far more friendly than Windows computers.

As the SE has now been discontinued in the USA, Fiske on Cloudy Night, see post no. 4, found customer service to be lacking for a binocular which should have under guarantee. A couple of years ago, there was a thread on BirdForum about difficulty replacing the eye cups from Nikon, USA.

Before I settled on the FL, I was content with a Leica 8x32BN, but the Fl won out.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Thx Arthur, I’ll catch up on those threads.
yes, New York is very big. Neighbors in like Nassau County Long Island. Only about 20 miles to Central Park or in time about 2 1/2 hours😩. My son was going to Hunter College for a time.

Thank you for you insight on the SEs, I’m always curious as to what others think of certain binoculars. I know what you mean about the eye box, it’s like you said , not the friendliest. FL is certainly a step up from from the SE.

Paul

Very hard to choose one because of magnification differences, but if I had to, first choice would be Leica Noctivid 8x42. Close second choice would be Swarovski 10x42 NL.

The Noctivids give that luscious Leica image quality like no other and everything about the build quality is second to none. The rubber armor feel, the weight balance the smooth focuser, the eyecups are all top of the line. A phenomenal all around optical tool and It’s just such a jewel.

The Swaro NL , the image is also amazing but in a different way than the Leica. Same level, just a different image flavor. Then ad that huge, bright usable, almost to the edge FOV make the NLs a true a rocket of technology. Just such a unique and fine modern take of an optical tool.

Paul
I have the 8x42 NL and am wanting to complement it with the Zeiss 10x42 SF. I could see me having the 8x42 Noctivid and 10NL as you do though. That is an excellent combination.

I have the 8x42 NL and am wanting to complement it with the Zeiss 10x42 SF. I could see me having the 8x42 Noctivid and 10NL as you do though. That is an excellent combination.
Robert
i think any combination of NL, EL, SF and Noctivids are astounding , I might throw the Ultravids Into the mix as well. I’m sure the NLs in 8x and SF in 10x is as good as any other combination , there all such great glass.

The NL and SF have such a large FOV it’s hard to give that up for the Nocs with the more traditional FOV. For me though, I liked the color and warmer image than the SF so I didn’t see it as much as a compromise, and I already had the SF in 832.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back