• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oberwerk 12X50 SE (1 Viewer)

sonof12

Hi all! I spent some time searching the forums but can’t seem to find any in depth reviews on the OB 12x50 SE? If it’s out there and I missed it, please send me that way! If you have a pair and haven’t reviewed them, I’d love to know how you like them and how they compare to any other Binos you have. I mainly use Binos for long distance animal glassing, not so much for astronomy.

I would check cloudy nights binocular forum. they seem to like oberwerk. They are better imo 12x50s available for a bit more cash. unless you are looking for budget glass.

For those interested - I just got a pair of these through Amazon over the weekend and spent some time with them. Build quality and fit and finish seems great - and overall they are a good binocular. Color, tint, CA, and edge to edge clarity was good. That said, they did not compete with the Theron Questa’s and Zen Ray ED3’s I had on hand in terms of clarity, focusing, and brightness. I was honestly hoping for more so they are going back and my quest for the best budget 12x continues…

For the money, I think where Oberwerk really shines is with their two “Sport ED” roof prism models - the ones with a red focuser. But unfortunately not available in the magnification/aperture you’re looking for.

For those interested - I just got a pair of these through Amazon over the weekend and spent some time with them. Build quality and fit and finish seems great - and overall they are a good binocular. Color, tint, CA, and edge to edge clarity was good. That said, they did not compete with the Theron Questa’s and Zen Ray ED3’s I had on hand in terms of clarity, focusing, and brightness. I was honestly hoping for more so they are going back and my quest for the best budget 12x continues…
Thanks for your review. You didn't state a budget. Also are you looking for porro or roof because they tend to be different beasts?

I'd give Tract a shot though you may have to pay for return shipping if you don't like them.

If you're okay with IF, the APM ED tend to be well reviewed:

I think of the APM ED series only the 6x30 is CF. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Thanks for your review. You didn't state a budget. Also are you looking for porro or roof because they tend to be different beasts?

I'd give Tract a shot though you may have to pay for return shipping if you don't like them.

If you're okay with IF, the APM ED tend to be well reviewed:

I think of the APM ED series only the 6x30 is CF. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
Budget is under $1k. I am not bothered by Roof vs Porro - they’ll be on a tripod most of the time. Thanks for the recommendation on Tract. And yes, I prefer Center Focus for sure.

Budget is under $1k. I am not bothered by Roof vs Porro - they’ll be on a tripod most of the time. Thanks for the recommendation on Tract. And yes, I prefer Center Focus for sure.
It's hard to think of 12x that are closer to mid-range rather than entry-level that get good reviews. Case and point kowa 12x56 prominar.

What I like about the Tract is that it's lightweight 32.6oz vs 37.7oz of Meopta B1+ 12x50.

The GPO HD 12x50 seems to be on sale at several outlets for $1k -- not familiar with that line though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back