• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear - Italy (1 Viewer)

stuartvine

I'm not good on Wheatears, so a spot of your finest, expert, ID, would be nice. Seen on top of Monte Baldo, above Lake Garda.

untitled-9489.jpg

Hello,
I agree with Kuzey Cem:
its a worn adult Water Pipit. Although Wheatear will adopt a similar errected posture on an exposed perch, but please note:

• quite short looking wings in relation to the tail
  • dark, but not black tail (and I think some white would be visible in a Wheatear)

Last edited:
It certainly had a Wheatear-like pose - and remarkable lack of streaks and wing stripes. But I guess the clue is: No White Arse, after which the Wheatear is named!

BTW was on Monte Baldo quite recently, trip down memory lane.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back