• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear was shot near the Akamas peninsula/ Cyprus beginning of May (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

The image of a Wheatear was shot near the Akamas peninsula/ Cyprus beginning of May. Hiking the hilly area behind Polis in western Cyprus I saw this male Wheatear perching on a stick. First I was thinking of a male Eastern Black-eared Wheatear. What I am missing is beige-orange on the back. Only a hint along the flanks is to be seen. Remarkable are the uniform dark wing covers and – what I think – the short primary projection. Maybe it's an Finsch's Wheatear left over from winter?
Thanks for ID to the experts
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Finschs Wheatear_DSG58332.jpg
    Finschs Wheatear_DSG58332.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 86
It would be very late for a Finsch's as you suggested. Looks like one of the many migrant Black-eared Eastern that pass through as initially identified. The caption was a bit alarming using "shot" in the title. There are quite a few Finsch's in that area though most birders head up to Anarita Park during winter. There must be a huge number that winter in the rocky hilly altitudes of Cyprus that never see a pair of birder's binoculars.
Good image by the way.
P

Last edited:
No, sorry for the alarm call.
There seems to be still a lot of trapping. But as I could see, there are several measures to prevent poaching right now many areas.
Thanks for ID.
Cheers
Johannes

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back