• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are all the geese? (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Just spent the weekend in North Norfolk and purposely ended Saturday at Holkham hoping to see the spectacular gathering of geese we have experienced in previous years. Two years ago, the sky was black with close to 100,000 pink-footed geese coming in to roost, in what I believe was a record year.

However, we had very few geese at all this year which got me wondering where they all were. I think the fact that we haven't really had a cold spell yet means many may have not made the journey to their final over-wintering grounds yet. I understand that some days might also be tide dependant and birds roost on the marshes etc.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jonno

One would guess that it's mild where ever they are at the moment, therefore they don't need to move just yet

One would guess that it's mild where ever they are at the moment, therefore they don't need to move just yet
Not just mild, but ridiculously warm (17° last night and all day today), here in NE England; likely about the same in Montrose, given the overall weather pattern at the moment.

Broke the UK overnight temperature record for November with 16 last night.

Strange that a Bewick's Swan broke the record this year at Slimbridge for the earliest arrival ever but they are coming from further North.

Andy

Not just mild, but ridiculously warm (17° last night and all day today), here in NE England; likely about the same in Montrose, given the overall weather pattern at the moment.

I was thinking of Iceland, Svalbard, Spirsbergen, et al rather than the UK

Just spent the weekend in North Norfolk and purposely ended Saturday at Holkham hoping to see the spectacular gathering of geese we have experienced in previous years. Two years ago, the sky was black with close to 100,000 pink-footed geese coming in to roost, in what I believe was a record year.

However, we had very few geese at all this year which got me wondering where they all were. I think the fact that we haven't really had a cold spell yet means many may have not made the journey to their final over-wintering grounds yet. I understand that some days might also be tide dependant and birds roost on the marshes etc.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jonno

Plenty of geese about when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Maybe just a bit more spread out?

I was thinking of Iceland, Svalbard, Spirsbergen, et al rather than the UK

It's been pretty mild in Iceland too but I suspect that virtually all Pink-footed Geese are long gone from Iceland now - but there will be a few stragglers remaining. I can guarantee that they have long since left their breeding grounds in Greenland. In the area I saw them in NE Greenland this summer, temperatures were down to the mid -30s in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back