• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are the Jays? (1 Viewer)

sooseee

I haven't seen a single jay this year in my local area-North Devon, inland- usually they have been quite a common sight in and around mixed woodland in a small river valley outside the village where I live. Has anyone else noticed the same lack? Wonder why.

sooseee said:
I haven't seen a single jay this year in my local area-North Devon, inland- usually they have been quite a common sight in and around mixed woodland in a small river valley outside the village where I live. Has anyone else noticed the same lack? Wonder why.
To be honest have noticed the complete opposite in west yorkshire, even seen some flying over busy roads with broken parkland.

Could just be one of those things?

sooseee said:

Over the last few years I seem to be seeing more and more of them round here. Nothing diffeent this year.

David

sooseee said:

I had seen hardly any in my local patch over the last two or three years - until about three weeks ago that is! Suddenly they seem to be much more in evidence. Dont know what's changed, but it is good to see them again.

Up here they seem to be doing incredibly well. 3 years ago I was lucky to see any. Since March its been 5 or 6 almost every evening. Possibly something to do with the recent heavy crops of nuts and berries.
Just a thought the recent run of mild/warm winters could be leading to problems down your way with the Jay's supply of food rotting away.

Ian

ikw101 said:
Up here they seem to be doing incredibly well. 3 years ago I was lucky to see any. Since March its been 5 or 6 almost every evening. Possibly something to do with the recent heavy crops of nuts and berries.
Just a thought the recent run of mild/warm winters could be leading to problems down your way with the Jay's supply of food rotting away.

I'm further east, but still in the south and there seem to be lots of jays around, three yesterday in the oaks in a park. It's been very mild here all year but there's plenty of acorns and berries around, in fact it's been a bumper year for fruit. We've been seeing jays regularly all year, so I haven't noticed any decline in their numbers, perhaps there's a local problem with their food supply.

Lots here too - more than last year. They are more visible in autumn though - collecting & stashing acorns.

Sooseee, what's the acorn crop like down there? If its been a poor year, it could explain it.

From the replies so far, from all over, it certainly looks like a local thing.

I like the acorn hypothesis - but if the acorns there are good, then it would seem to be something else.

Maybe there has been a local acorn problem - the acorns are very good where I live.

But if not, then what?

David (is more intrigued by questions like this than by starting a lifetime list, or yearly list)

Loads of Jays here at the moment. There is always an upsurge of activity at this time of year with birds flying between woods and lots of calling whenever I walk in the woods. Almost never get a good view though.

David Bl said:
From the replies so far, from all over, it certainly looks like a local thing.

I like the acorn hypothesis - but if the acorns there are good, then it would seem to be something else.

Maybe there has been a local acorn problem - the acorns are very good where I live.

But if not, then what?

David (is more intrigued by questions like this than by starting a lifetime list, or yearly list)

If its not a problem with food storage over the winter months Id put my money on the effects of competition driving them away. Whilst other birds could compete with the Jays a far likelier culprit is the Grey Squirrel. Interestingly theyre also partial to the odd fledgling as well.

ikw101 said:
If its not a problem with food storage over the winter months Id put my money on the effects of competition driving them away. Whilst other birds could compete with the Jays a far likelier culprit is the Grey Squirrel. Interestingly theyre also partial to the odd fledgling as well.

Plenty in South London, can honestly say I have never seen sa many as this year

plenty here in suffolk since bill oddie said, you see a lot of jays flying with acorns at this time of year,on autumn watch i must have seen at least three everyday it seems everytime i get in the car the jays decide to start flying across the road in front of me usually with the afore mentioned acorn in their beak

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back