• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to find Owls in Rutland (1 Viewer)

I'd love to see a little owl. That is one of my birding goals just to come across one one day. I don't think it will ever happen, Just like I would love to see an osprey I would need to get off my bum and ditch my best friend for a day but I can't bring myself to do that. Good luck James in finding a little owl.
Thanks. I assume you are talking about the Rutland Water Ospreys when you said 'an osprey.' Rutland Water is undoubtedly the most accessible place to see then every summer.

Thanks. I assume you are talking about the Rutland Water Ospreys when you said 'an osprey.' Rutland Water is undoubtedly the most accessible place to see then every summer.
Not if you lack transport and have caring duties. I should stop feeling sorry for myself and get off my backside.
An osprey and little owl have always been my birding goals and both are achievable. Maybe one day.
Hope you see the little owl and maybe put a picture up.
Cheers
Gary.

There is no doubt Little Owls can be frustrating. At a local site, the droppings are all but unmissable, but the birds are frequently elusive. All I can suggest is be prepared to put the time in when weather conditions are suitable. Good luck.

I don't think you totally understand, I mean which tree, which layby, things like that.
James, you have to work a wee bit to see birds sometimes.....being patient, watching and waiting and repeated attempts if warranted. There is great excitement when you see a target species, a lot more when you discover them yourself especially if you've "earned" the encounter.
Of course, there is the social side of the hobby as well if you want to meet up with other birders in the area.....and perhaps in time share sightings, perhaps of the species you have shown interest in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back