• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Bald Eagle? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
Hi all,

If I go back to the USA in the next few years, it will probably include a visit to Washington state again, and one thing I’d love to do this time is see a Bald Eagle in the wild.

Any suggestions for places where I might have the best luck? Anything else I should know?

Thanks! 🦅

I don't have info on Washington, but I live in Alberta and bird in BC. You shouldn't have any issue finding them, they are very common in the area.

Get yourself to ebird.org and you will see that they are common along the coast anywhere around Seattle.
Lincoln Park and Union Bay Natural Area look like favourite spots for photographers, but they are really anywhere along the waterline.

Thanks!

I visited Seattle in 2019, but that was before I started birding. It’s a beautiful city, and I’d love to go back. I never went out to see Mount Rainier, either. I’d love to explore that area.

It won't be an issue, they are everywhere! If you come in the Fall when Salmon are spawning, and dying, at the head of rivers you can see large congregations. But there are opportunities anytime of year.

I live in Florida, so I'm not sure how relevant my advice will be but here's how I often see them

-Soaring with groups or turkey vultures (check for the size, more elongated wing shape, and white tail/head)
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.56.06 PM.png
(pic from here)

-Perched in tall trees (mostly pines in my experience)
Eagles love tall trees and around here they tend to nest in pines in my experience, there's actually one pair who live by my grandma's house and it's very common to see a group of people photographing the pair when we go over to visit her haha
Bald-Eagle-Molly-Ft-Pickens-e1549811162665.jpg
(source)

I hope you get a chance to see one! It's always exciting no matter how many times I see them, personally

Wonderful birds! Can’t wait to see one for real.

This might be weird to say, but their association with American cultural iconography is so strong that it’s sometimes strange to think that they’re actually real. I’ve probably seen them more in cartoons than in nature documentaries 😄

Bald Bald Eagles are now common all across the US while driving. Depending on the time of year they are more concentrated in large groups (winter).
When they are nesting not so much , but if you Google Bald Eagle nesting videos, you will find the sites in almost every state. Especially along rivers and dams.
You will never get tired of watching them.
Washington State would be a great place to start looking!

I live in Florida, so I'm not sure how relevant my advice will be but here's how I often see them

-Soaring with groups or turkey vultures (check for the size, more elongated wing shape, and white tail/head)
View attachment 1490253
(pic from here)

-Perched in tall trees (mostly pines in my experience)
Eagles love tall trees and around here they tend to nest in pines in my experience, there's actually one pair who live by my grandma's house and it's very common to see a group of people photographing the pair when we go over to visit her haha
View attachment 1490255
(source)

I hope you get a chance to see one! It's always exciting no matter how many times I see them, personally
Thanks for sharing that photo! I live in Florida too and I see Eagles a lot here in Tampa. I live near a river and see them flying over my house quite often but it's always such an amazing experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back