• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to see eagles in galloway/ayrshire? (1 Viewer)

i had an an amazing experiance in novenber while hillwalking in my area in ayrshire/galloway border when me and a friend saw a pair of golden eagles. i have saw golden and white tailed eagles in mull but to see them here was something else as there is only meant to be 3 pairs in galloway. i have been back up the same hill 2 times since but have saw nothing but ravens. i know its a very secretive thing but a rough idea like a range of hills down this way or anything would be appreciated as i am desperate to see them again it was one of the best feelings of my life, thanx.

Are you sure they weren't buzzards golden eagles dont usually tend be as south as Ayrshire and the 3 pairs you have mentioned are known to be in Galloway Forest Park.

I think they are known to inhabit the northern parts of Clyde

Are you sure they weren't buzzards golden eagles dont usually tend be as south as Ayrshire and the 3 pairs you have mentioned are known to be in Galloway Forest Park.

I think they are known to inhabit the northern parts of Clyde

i live right at the edge of the galloway forest in dalmellington 5mins from loch doon. i am defo sure it wasnt buzzards i work for a forestry contractor in the galloway forest and see buzzards everyday and although i am no expert it was defo golden eagles. it was in a huge open area with no trees i saw them ideal eagle territory and the shear size gave them away. there has been eagles in that area before but not for years. the galloway forest actually comes right up into ayrshire, loch doon had its first ospreys in 100 years this summer i also saw one which was amazing aswell

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

i live right at the edge of the galloway forest in dalmellington 5mins from loch doon. i am defo sure it wasnt buzzards i work for a forestry contractor in the galloway forest and see buzzards everyday and although i am no expert it was defo golden eagles. it was in a huge open area with no trees i saw them ideal eagle territory and the shear size gave them away. there has been eagles in that area before but not for years. the galloway forest actually comes right up into ayrshire, loch doon had its first ospreys in 100 years this summer i also saw one which was amazing aswell

Yes they probably were from the galloway forrest

If your wanting to see them again go further north to somewhers in Argyll like Kintyre or the Isle of Mull beacuse there is only three pairs in that area and it might be years before you see them again

You might be interested in this website, which shows that Golden Eagles aren't always restricted to the remote mountainous areas:

http://www.roydennis.org/golden-eagle/index.asp?id=228

This particular juvenile has spent the last 3 months living on a rabbit warren on the southern end of the Wigtown peninsula, just south of Whithorn.

thanx very much m8 i was down at whithorn in the summer fishing so i know where u mean, i might justtake a trip down on sun to see if i can spot it. that is a good site so ta very much

Yes they probably were from the galloway forrest

If your wanting to see them again go further north to somewhers in Argyll like Kintyre or the Isle of Mull beacuse there is only three pairs in that area and it might be years before you see them again

i was at mull in the summer i wrote that on my first thread that i was over there fishing for a week. i saw 2 golden eagles and 3 pairs of sea eagles and we werent even really looking for them. saw a sea eagle nab a seagull chick at the river ba estuary about 40yards away from me it was great, about 50 gulls were mobbing it but it never blinked an eye and just flew away

Based in Galloway, I've been lucky enough to get a distant glimpse twice in teh last dozen or so years I've been living here.

The viaduct above Gatehouse in the Cairnsmore of Fleet reserve was where I saw both my birds.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back