• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Fen Orchid in Norfolk? (1 Viewer)

Stuart/James

If you still require the info, send me an Email. I'll speak to my man on the spot to get you an update for this year's status.

I'd recommend the weekend of 9th/10th as the time to go.

As a return favour, if you chaps do go could you send me details of number of plants and any changes to the info I give you?

Cheers

Sean

Many thanks Sean - have emailed (not PMed) you.

James

Stuart/James

If you still require the info, send me an Email. I'll speak to my man on the spot to get you an update for this year's status.

I'd recommend the weekend of 9th/10th as the time to go.

As a return favour, if you chaps do go could you send me details of number of plants and any changes to the info I give you?

Cheers

Sean

Any one got any info on Fen Orchid in Norfolk yet this year, i was thinking of looking next week 2/6/-8/6 is this too early.

cheers Thorin

thanks in advance Sean. If possible could you PM me some directions as well, I know that Upton Fen is the recommended site but have looked there before without success.

cheers Thorin/Nick

Hi Thorin

They should be out next week, though I don't know anyone who has been yet.

I'll try and get you some info before the weekend

Sean
I cannot get there this year but would like some details for Upton Fen. My details that I have already are very poor for this site. Many thanks.

Brian Laney.:t:

Hi all,

Tim Allwood has informaed me that th eFens wer enot in flower last Saturday, but I'm sure that by the end of next week they will be.

There has been a lot of rain in Norfolk, so water levels may be too high this year. The species grows in standing water a metre deep at the other public site, so maybe I'm wrong. So long at the cutting regime is maintained, there shouldn't be a major problem.

I would still recommend waiting confirmation they are in flower befor egoing, though.

Thorin - Email me off BF but be aware I'm on hol from the middle of next week.

Sean

for anyone who wants to see them easily, a trip to Kenfig will do the trick. The wardens there are happy to help with info.

Am hoping to visit Kenfig over the weekend to try and find these little beauties.

However on my last two visits I have found the staff to be far from helpful, the exact opposite in fact, and I have never had any success - If any one could PM me useful directions they would be most welcome.

Cheers
Kev

Am hoping to visit Kenfig over the weekend to try and find these little beauties.

However on my last two visits I have found the staff to be far from helpful, the exact opposite in fact, and I have never had any success - If any one could PM me useful directions they would be most welcome.

Cheers
Kev
Hi Kev - i've had the opposite experience from Kenfig, but I did attend a guided walk ( a few year's ago mind ). It's not as gay as you might think - we saw a good example of Fen. Bear in mind the species has declined big time here in the last few years, so a tour is your best bet and the staff may discourage the 'lone ranger' ( though I would normally vindicate this approach!! ) as you may inadvervently trample the only plants avaiable ( don't take this to heart, it can happen at any site ).

If you want to swap gen please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
James

Hi Kev, first time I went I realized how utterly impossible without directions but met a retired ranger who showed us one plant! Went back about three years ago an they were so easy! Walk down to the bird hide and then head West towards the sea, first you see lots of Southern Marsh, then a few of the "Brick red" Early Marsh var coccinea, as you enter the flat area in the dunes you should find them, I think they were all posted with pegs at that time. The one main problem is that the numbers could vary according to the year. I would say that if you have not been yet this weekend, 14th, 15th should be a good time.
Regards Lorne

Having visited Kenfig yesterday I have to retract any thing I said about the staff being helpful. When I arrived I asked about the orchids and was told to come back on Sunday for the guided walk! I told the lady that I had just driven 150 miles to photograph them and she said that I was wasting my time because they were not even in flower yet! Of the 5 plants that I found 4 were pristine.
Regards Lorne.

Attachments

• Fen-44_opt.jpg
    Fen-44_opt.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Fen-94_opt.jpg
    Fen-94_opt.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 103
Hi Lorne/all

I don't think it's a problem with Kenfig per sé, just that the staff on reception aren't totally aware of the locations.

I wandered about there for ages in 2004 while on a mobile talking to reception for directions. They hadn't worked out I was in completely the wrong area.

They tried their best, bless them.

Glad you found them last week. The "L" post which marked the correct slack was gone last time I was there in August last year - but there was one plant still in flower, remarkably - on 19th August.

Sean

Hi all, I went to Kenfig NNR yesterday and could only find 1 Fen Orchid after the searching the site for ages.
Somebody else find 10 Fen Orchids (reported via the visitor centre) but all the flower heads had been eating off probably by rabbits!
One thing I did notice though was that the grass on the dune slacks seemed to be much higher than the last time I visited Kenfig a couple of years ago?
Has anybody else noticed this change at Kenfig?
Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com

That may not be a bad thing, Dave - the Norfolk plants grow among tall reeds and other vegetation.

It may also be a sign that the site is wetter this year, which is what the orchids need.

Sean

Hello. Would I be able to see the orchids if I visited Upton this year? Aside from the orchid, could use an excuse to finally get out of my typical sites!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back