• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to spot a bittern (1 Viewer)

Linwolf

Where to spot a bittern?

I am new to birding, and really became interested following a visit to Titchwell Marsh, Norfolk last October. An amazing place. They said they had bitterns breeding there for the first time in years.

Where would be the best place and time of year to spot a bittern. I live in Stourbridge, West Midlands.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I think that there have been reports this winter from Upton Warren - so that might be a place to try - they won't breed there - but one or two may over winter and might be more visible during this current cold weather.

Definitely Upton Warren. On the Moors, not the flashes section. Here are a few photos I took of the bird on the 2nd Jan this year.

Attachments

• Bittern 4312.jpg
    Bittern 4312.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Bittern 4310.jpg
    Bittern 4310.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Bittern 4308.jpg
    Bittern 4308.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 166
Brandon Marsh, Coventry, is also a good place as one or two overwinter every year (I saw one of them very close to on 8th January) although admittedly I do not think that it is even nearly as reliable as Upton Warren apparently is.

Sam

Raptors Rule said:
Brandon Marsh, Coventry, is also a good place as one or two overwinter every year (I saw one of them very close to on 8th January) although admittedly I do not think that it is even nearly as reliable as Upton Warren apparently is.

Sam

You were lucky to see it Sam. It is not a reliable bird to see whereas the Upton Warren bird seems to be showing almost every day.

A better prospect than Brandon Marsh is Ladywalk, near Coleshill but you have to be a West Midland Bird club member to get in.

John

We saw bittern at leighton moss RSPB reserve last November during an icy spell it was beautiful. If you get your skates on (!) while it's still frozen your chances of spotting should be increaced.

Attenborough NR in Notts, from the Delta Hide is almost nailed on if you get there about an hour before dusk. At least one comes in to roost every night. As already said though Upton Warren or Ladywalk would be your best bet.

Fen Drayton gravel pits in Cambridgeshire, (off the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge) is usually a good place for overwintering bitterns. I've seen two flying in to a regular roost on Holywell Lake, and there have been as many as five reported.

Potteric Carr near Doncaster. They have two or three sightings every day! Only seen one there myself, but we don't tend to sit and spend time looking for them. You need a permit (as you have to cross railway lines, but day permits are available).

Raptors Rule said:

Sam

When I went to Brandon Marsh there wern't any sightings in the sightings book and I didn't see one.

Heard numerous birds booming while walking along the East Bank at Cley last May, but I didn't see one (wife did of course!!) until we went to Hicking Broad where we had one flying over the reedbeds.

Happy hunting.

Alan

Fishers green in the lee valley country parks (Just off m25 in essex). In winter most years - you'll be unlucky if you miss them. I've had excellent views every time I visited. Water rail are often easy to see here. Famous place and well watched.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back