• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 10x42 binoculars are you using the most? (1 Viewer)

I have a 8x42 and a 10x32. What do I miss with not having a 10x42?

My first idea was having a good 10x42 and be done with it. But now I have splitted is to the 10x32 for day birding and 8x42 for dim light birding.
I think the 10x42 would be the more allround choice, but found it a bit too heavy for most cases.
I do prefer 10 power though. Maybe I will add a 10x42 or 10x50 someday, but still wonder if I can justify it to myself (and my wife).

SF 10x42, Noctovid 10x42, Habicht 10x40, EL 10/12x50 come to my mind.

I used a 10x42 for most of my birding experiences and only recently have gone to a 7x35 etc.... I found the 10x42 HT or my current Noctovid to do just nicely and I didn't have an issue with the size to carry around all day, nor in various habitats (jungle, forest, open, etc).... I just wanted something lighter as I got older. I still use my Noctovid for coastal / shore birds and for Hawk watches. I use the smaller bins as my everyday ones 'now' but not in the past.

In terms of which one is best? Just depends on what you like and how they feel in your hand. The HT's were excellent ergonomics and cloudy days'/low light and the Noctovids are better in overall contrast, focusing quickness, diopter etc.... (in my humble thinking) jim

I have a 8x42 and a 10x32. What do I miss with not having a 10x42?

My first idea was having a good 10x42 and be done with it. But now I have splitted is to the 10x32 for day birding and 8x42 for dim light birding.
I think the 10x42 would be the more allround choice, but found it a bit too heavy for most cases.
I do prefer 10 power though. Maybe I will add a 10x42 or 10x50 someday, but still wonder if I can justify it to myself (and my wife).

SF 10x42, Noctovid 10x42, Habicht 10x40, EL 10/12x50 come to my mind.

Rainier,

I went with 10x32 and 10x50 and skipped the 10x42 because it has a smaller FoV than either. I tried the NV and SF 10x42 outside for a few minutes with two friends. Both are excellent but I was not tempted to "upgrade".

Later on several 10x42 fans posted explaining how the combination of narrower FoV of the 10x42 and shallower DoF vs the 8x42 emphasized or highlighted the subject in isolation. Looking for this effect using my UV 10x25 (a really narrow FoV) and thanks to the coincidental cooperation of my neighbor's peacock, I became a believer.

Courtesy of a fellow member and friend I recently tried a Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and compared it at some length with eight or ten other mid to high end bins of various formats. Everything about the Viper was really impressive, especially for the price. It is also smaller and lighter than many 10x42s. For me the size, shape and density was perfect, I could hold it as steady as any of the 8x we had.

The EL 12x50 FP is large and heavy, although the image is typical/excellent SW even hand held. The Habicht 10x40 might be the most interesting choice if you like the handling and don't already have a nice porro. Not trying to spend your money, just my 2 cents.

Mike

Sold my Nikon SE's a while ago..... probably shouldn't have done that really :unsure: :cry::mad:
I don't have a 10x bin at the moment but out of all of the 10x bins that I've owned the Nikon 10x42 SE was used the most . I sold the SE's some years ago and do occasionally regret doing so .

Tract Toric 10x42. My most used 10x for the past 5 years. Another topic for another threat, but I REALLY hope they come out with a 7x Toric one day...

Looks like a nice one for sale on Cloudynights right now. Very fair price.

Paul
$650 US is roughly $865 CAD . I paid $600 CAD for a very nice condition 10x42 SE 6-7 years ago. I can't see myself paying $865 for an SE that's many years old regardless of condition , especially when I hear about issues such as lenses coming apart because of balsam separation .

Attachments

• DSC00687 (Large).JPG
    DSC00687 (Large).JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 12
I seldom use a 10x42 any more. But I have the Bushnell Forge and the older Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. The Forge is better optically, but the Legend is still very good.

$650 US is roughly $865 CAD . I paid $600 CAD for a very nice condition 10x42 SE 6-7 years ago. I can't see myself paying $865 for an SE that's many years old regardless of condition , especially when I hear about issues such as lenses coming apart because of balsam separation .
I think one would be hard pressed to get a better price for a SE 10X42. The issue of the adhesive in the eyepiece fogging up is such a rare issue, that I am sure the ones on CN will sell.

For a 10X42 it's been almost 100% the NL. Sorry but FOV King!
83EC1C29-DFF6-48C7-8338-A44D0CA09341_1_201_a.jpeg

Nikon Prostaff P7 10x42
Very lightweight for a 10x42 (600 g), wide apparent field of view, phase coating, dielectric coating, fogprof, water repellent coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back