• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 7x35 would be best for me??? (1 Viewer)

JBT

Been doing quite a bit of online research over the last couple of weeks and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which 7x35 porro binocular under $150 to get. Features I'm looking for are as follows. Excellent center resolution with a nice wide sweet spot in conjunction with a very wide field of view no less than 440 ft @1000 yards. Being able to mount the binoculars to a tripod is very important and I prefer to do this by attaching tripod mount directly to the bino via threaded slot located on the front of the binocular. ER is not hugely important as long as it's not under 10mm. Good contrast would be nice but it doesn't have to best best in class. Another feature that is important to me is glare control. I'd like to be able to look in the direction of the sun without have the view glare up on me. Weight, ergonomics and weatherproofing are not too important although I'd like to keep the weigh under 2 lbs if possible. I'm fully aware that for under $150 this is a lot to ask of a binocular so I'm not looking for alpha class results.

Here's a short list on binoculars that I'm currently considering in no particular order;

Nikon Action EX 7x35
Nikon Aculon 7x35
Celestron 7x35 Landscout(maybe a clone of the Action EX????)
1980s Nikon 7x35 WF

The 80s Nikon has definitely peaked my interest but I'm worried about the durability of such an old binocular. Any thoughts or suggestions that might help me come to a decision would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Been doing quite a bit of online research over the last couple of weeks and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which 7x35 porro binocular under $150 to get. Features I'm looking for are as follows. Excellent center resolution with a nice wide sweet spot in conjunction with a very wide field of view no less than 440 ft @1000 yards. Being able to mount the binoculars to a tripod is very important and I prefer to do this by attaching tripod mount directly to the bino via threaded slot located on the front of the binocular. ER is not hugely important as long as it's not under 10mm. Good contrast would be nice but it doesn't have to best best in class. Another feature that is important to me is glare control. I'd like to be able to look in the direction of the sun without have the view glare up on me. Weight, ergonomics and weatherproofing are not too important although I'd like to keep the weigh under 2 lbs if possible. I'm fully aware that for under $150 this is a lot to ask of a binocular so I'm not looking for alpha class results.

Here's a short list on binoculars that I'm currently considering in no particular order;

Nikon Action EX 7x35
Nikon Aculon 7x35
Celestron 7x35 Landscout(maybe a clone of the Action EX????)
1980s Nikon 7x35 WF

The 80s Nikon has definitely peaked my interest but I'm worried about the durability of such an old binocular. Any thoughts or suggestions that might help me come to a decision would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

None of us can tell you that, because none of us are . . . YOU. You seem to have that niche sewn up.

--Forget most of what any of us say.
--Go to a store with a good selection.
--Try several.
--Check out looks, feel, and performance. If YOU can't recognize the CA, field curvature, glare problems, and the like. For you, THEY DON'T EXIST! With optics, if you go LOOKING for boogie men . . . you'll find them. Don't do it; stay happy as long as you can.
--Keep your hand on your wallet. Many of us would be pleased to talk you into whatever WE think is best. That might not be the best for you, at this particular time.

Keep the bino, and be happy with it, until YOU recognize a reason to change! It is both cheaper and more practical. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Between the Action and the Aculon, one only has to decide if they desire waterproofness*, or not.

I can't tell you anything about the Celestron, other than that some of them are pretty decent when price is considered. Try one from a place that will allow you to return it if you don't like it. After all, you really won't know which is the best for you until you try them out for yourself anyway.

As for the 80's Nikon -- it would be silly to buy one that doesn't work, so you are only going to buy one that does work. And if it still works after all these years, then certainly it is durable.

*not sure if that is a real word.......

Amen to what Bill says - that is if there's a store with more than one 7x35 porro nearby...

If not, both Nikons are hard to beat for the money. Can't say anything about the celestron as I don't know it.

I would stay away from vintage unless you can test it in person and it's quite cheap. Nikon bins are multicoated only since the nineties so light transmission will be a tad below todays standard... which might or might not matter in your expected use

Regarding durability in used porros - no need to worry, there is no wearout in the optics and very little in the mechanics. If a used porro bin has not been knocked out of collimation and the mechanics work ok, it will probably do so in 20 years with proper use.

Joachim

Get the Aculon 7x35 from any Cabelas, Dicks Sporting Goods..etc. That way if you don't like you can always return it.
The 7x35 aculon is the best one in the Aculon series in my opinion. It has all you asked for. It has a huge field of view, decently large sweet spot, tripod mountable..etc. Its also only $80 in those stores.
I haven't seen any Nikon Action EX at any store except for the 10x50...Im thinking they might be phasing this one out but Im sure you can find it online in the 7x35 if water resistance is a huge deal for you.
If its not, then go for the Aculon

“Regarding durability in used porros - no need to worry, there is no wearout in the optics and very little in the mechanics. If a used porro bin has not been knocked out of collimation and the mechanics work ok, it will probably do so in 20 years with proper use.”

Joachim

In the late 80s, I saw half a pallet of US Navy Mk28, Mk 32, and Mk45 binoculars the Coast Guard had destined for the government land fill south of Bremerton, Washington. I was not surprised. Still, I was shaken to the core. I asked why. I was told they were old and not cost effective to repair—that parts could no longer be found the repair them. I was there to pick up about 30 instruments to repair and had to cool my jets until the paper work was completed. I went back to the pallet and started looking at the binos. I had time to see (if memory serves) 2 Mk28s and 2 Mk32s. Only one of the 4 was even marginally out of collimation.

I tried to convince the officer in charge that the instruments still being serviceable after 40 or 50 years should sing a song of mechanical quality. I further tried to convince him that I had drawers full of parts—some hermetically sealed—for the instruments. In typical government fashion, my words fell on deaf ears. Those instruments were bound for a dirt nap . . . and they were going to the land fill. Logic be damned.

In 1941, the Mk28 binocular cost $350.00. Considering inflation (I just ran a new calculation), it would cost $5,552.45 today. Worth it today? Of course not. But the principle leaves much to think about when you spread the concept across the many thousands of products that go to waste each day. :cat:

Bill

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately I don't think there are any stores in my town that carry any of these binoculars so I won't be able to test them out first hand hence the reasoning behind this thread. There is one store in my town that might carry the newer Nikons I give them a call tomorrow and see. I currently own a very nice Nikon 8x30 EII so if I don't like whatever 7x35 I choose at least I'll still have the EIIs to use just in case.

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunately I don't think there are any stores in my town that carry any of these binoculars so I won't be able to test them out first hand hence the reasoning behind this thread. There is one store in my town that might carry the newer Nikons I give them a call tomorrow and see. I currently own a very nice Nikon 8x30 EII so if I don't like whatever 7x35 I choose at least I'll still have the EIIs to use just in case.

If you have to settle for an EII, you will still be MILES ahead of most birdwatchers. I'm using a Superior E. But, an EII is a bino for lifetime.

Bill

The Aculons are great, but if you already have the Nikon 8x30 EII s,
you are accustomed to a pretty fine field quality.
The 7x35 Action Extremes have a more advanced eyepiece than the Aculons,
so the field will be geometrically flatter, sharper near the edges, and you
will have bigger eye relief (handy with glasses or amber goggles).

They aren't quite like Nikon 8x30 EIIs , but closer to them in field quality.

I agree WJC I'll never part with my EIIs. Thanks for the info Optic Nut. This isn't the first time I've hear that the Action Extremes should be sharper near the edges when compared to the Aculons. Seems like I might like the Action Extremes just a tab bit better than the Aculons.

The Aculons are no slouch...the aspheric surface gives them
a wider 'usuably sharp' zone than plain Kellners, and the lower
element count does make the contrast hold up well decades from now.
The AEs just have a bit better field conditioning.

Out of the group my selection would be the Action EX followed by the Wide Field Actions. The eye relief of the Aculon was too short for me. I had to remove the eyecups completely to see the full field of view. I did not have that problem with the Action EX models. The Action EX checks ever box you mentioned.

If the Widefield Actions had modern multicoatings then I would choose it over the Action EX but they don't so you are looking at less contrast, less brightnes and not as neutral of a color representation. Compared to any of the modern binoculars the Widefield Action looks dim and lifeless...though it very easily has the best apparent sharpness of any of the models you mentioned. I agree that durability shouldn't be an issue. I have owned several and none of them had any mechanical issues.

Out of the group my selection would be the Action EX followed by the Wide Field Actions. The eye relief of the Aculon was too short for me. I had to remove the eyecups completely to see the full field of view. I did not have that problem with the Action EX models. The Action EX checks ever box you mentioned.

If the Widefield Actions had modern multicoatings then I would choose it over the Action EX but they don't so you are looking at less contrast, less brightnes and not as neutral of a color representation. Compared to any of the modern binoculars the Widefield Action looks dim and lifeless...though it very easily has the best apparent sharpness of any of the models you mentioned. I agree that durability shouldn't be an issue. I have owned several and none of them had any mechanical issues.

I forgot about the 7x35 aculons eye relief. If you wear glasses while using binoculars, then forget these. I don't wear glasses and had to have the eye cups in the fully down position for the full field.

Awesome info guys thanks! ER is a bit more important than I first thought because while I'm perfectly fine with short ER my wife and daughter who both wear glasses are not and since they will also be using these binoculars overall it would be best for me to get a bin with a good amount of ER.

It would appear that the 7x35 Action EX are what I'm looking for. I wish the Yosemite line had a tripod mount built into them because everything I read about them seems to be quite positive but unfortunately the no tripod mount is a deal-breaker for me. Also I just check the Action EX on B&H and if I order them for here I get a free Nikon wrist watch w/ leather strap a $39 value. WOO-HOO free watch! Now I don't have to buy my brother a birthday gift this year.3:)

Frank:

I agree with you. The Aculon 7x35 is a nice binocular in the center
sweet spot, then things trail off. It does have a rugged rubber body, with
a twist up eyepiece, and that is one thing many will like.

The Nikon Action WF 7x35, is the older model, and it does lots of
things well. It is built in Japan with quality you can feel, and is better
than the newer ones, with a wider, nice FOV.

Jerry

WJC - Your real life experience with government dumping binoculars is the reason the words "military intelligence" are considered an oxymoron.

John

WJC - Your real life experience with government dumping binoculars is the reason the words "military intelligence" are considered an oxymoron.

John

Oh, my friend, I could tell you stories in which I TRIED to save them money--only to be shot down. But it's nothing new; Jim Bridger was fit to be tied over some of the idiotic stuff they pulled on him, back in the 1840s.

But then, they were successful in knocking off Custer and getting away with it. By the way--from the "who cares" department--I've read some of Custer's writing. It's adequate, but schoolboyish. His wife, Libby (Elizabeth Bacon Custer) was an excellent modern-day writer, although she wrote in the 1880s.

More books have been written about him than any other American, with the exception of Abraham Lincoln. And were it not for her dedication to him, and her ability with the pen, he would have been a small footnote in history.

Bill

Thanks again for all info everyone. I decided to take a chance on the unkown and got the 7x35 Landscouts. So far I'm very pleased with them. I did a side by side with my EIIs and the Landscouts held their own compared to the legendary Nikons. To be fair I've only been able to look through the Landscouts for about 10 mins or so but my first impression has been very positive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back