• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (2 Viewers)

Today I used my Leica Ultravid 8x20. These tend to be the binoculars I use most of the time when I am out walking, as they fit in any pocket I have, and the optics are exceptional.

I also have a pair of Leica Duovid 10-15x50, but I tend to only take these when I have my rucksack with me (as they are a large pair of binoculars) and also when I know I will be sitting for a while doing a bit of spotting, when I get to where I will be going to. The Duovid's for me are like having two pairs of binoculars in one, and I would not part with them, even though they get significatantly less use than my Ultravid's.

IMG_8432.jpg

Neither on the Zeiss web site nor on vendor web sites do yo see the thin lanyard on the right of my picture, post #10, what I would call the port side of the binocular. It tethers the objective cover to the binocular, which is unique. The cover is one piece and is held by friction to the inside of the barrels. I did not see instructions on using the lanyard, which has a connector, so l looped one part to the strap lug; looped the other part to the objective cover and connected them.

The Victory HT has the same arrangement. The retaining cord can get tangled, however.

I use my Trinovid HD 8x32 on weekends. I find it works well with my eyeglasses. It’s sharp, bright and the focus is so smooth.

The highlight this morning was a bright Hooded Warbler (male) in a Tulip tree. This made a beautiful image through the Trinovid. It was only my second Hooded Warbler sighting ever. There were lots of good birds this weekend.

Attachments

• E550B01C-7052-4BCD-B36D-2A4F3745DF47.jpeg
    E550B01C-7052-4BCD-B36D-2A4F3745DF47.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 20
18 years ago I broke my shoulder. The older I get, the more it starts acting up and hurting when just holding a bino for a few minutes so I've been using very low magnification and small binos a lot lately so I can hold them with one hand (I guess there might be a smaller Canon IS in my future - the 18x50 is definitely not suitable for holding it with one hand).
So I used my tiny reverse porro "Multoskop" 7x20, made in Germany, Bak4 prisms, and was once again amazed at how good it is. Rather bright for its age, very neutral color rendition. A lovely little thing. Makes me wonder why I'm even lumping around 8x42s.
IMG_20230517_143803.jpgIMG_20230517_143810.jpgIMG_20230517_143831.jpg

Last edited:
18 years ago I broke my shoulder. The older I get, the more it starts acting up and hurting when just holding a bino for a few minutes so I've been using very low magnification and small binos a lot lately so I can hold them with one hand (I guess there might be a smaller Canon IS in my future - the 18x50 is definitely not suitable for holding it with one hand).
So I used my tiny reverse porro "Multoskop" 7x20, made in Germany, Bak4 prisms, and was once again amazed at how good it is. Rather bright for its age, very neutral color rendition. A lovely little thing. Makes me wonder why I'm even lumping around 8x42s.
View attachment 1510450View attachment 1510451View attachment 1510452
Hello,

That is a charming binocular. A fellow bird watcher has been using Canon 10x42, which he enjoys but the weight is beginning to be troublesome.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I had an early appointment with a physician, necessitating a trip on the Metro. I decided that I did not care to carry my large and expensive Zeiss SF on the Metro, so I decided to take my 1941 Bausch & Lomb 8x30. I did see an American redstart, a Wilson's warbler, mourning doves, American robins and a northern cardinal before descending into the tube. The lack of eye relief and close focus were the most noticeable disadvantages, but a modern binocular is just easier to use.

Bausch & Lomb  8x30.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Having some fun today with my Eschenbach "Luna Super" 8x30 EWA, made in Japan, J-E1 and J-B75 (Seki Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.). It's one of the most impressive wide angle porros that I own. You put it to your eyes and feel like a window opens into the world so large is the FoV (tested it against my Kowa BDII and it seems the 10° FoV are pretty accurate).
The yellow coatings do give it a cool, blueish tint but it's not that bad. I get used to it very quickly and it's actually brighter than other binos from that time.IMG_20230519_122744.jpgIMG_20230519_122720.jpgIMG_20230519_122703.jpg

It's still early here (Massachusetts) but I just enjoyed watching the Ruby-throated hummingbirds on my deck during breakfast & tea this morning. Using the new 7x42 EDG was wonderful. I knew it would be - this is one of the reasons I got them - there is no need for 8x when the bird is 10-12 feet away.

I put out my usual container shade-garden of Fuschia and Torenia plants last week and the hummers were on them within hours! Looks like one resident male and 2 females so far. I've got a bunch of salvia, lantana, Angelonia, and other plants in the sun garden for them as well.

Today my shoulder didn't act up so I used one of my larger binos or rather heavier, as it's still very compact.
DDoptics Nighteagle Ergo DX 10x56.
One of the few that really works well with my glasses. Bright and sharp but some CA, maybe because of the compact size.
Overall a very nice allround bino, useful for birding (super close focus too), general nature observations and stargazing especially.
IMG_20230522_203828.jpgIMG_20230522_203711.jpgIMG_20230522_203704.jpgIMG_20230522_203655.jpg

Using the Kenko-made Fujinon KF 10x42H today. I really like the "Alien"-like design. Rather futuristic. And it's optically pretty good. Less CA than the overhyped Svbony SV202 despite not having "ED"-glass. My only complaint is the slightly stiff focuser.
img1zhea2.jpg

img2kbc4z.jpg

img0awchq.jpg

Today my shoulder didn't act up so I used one of my larger binos or rather heavier, as it's still very compact.
DDoptics Nighteagle Ergo DX 10x56.
One of the few that really works well with my glasses. Bright and sharp but some CA, maybe because of the compact size.
Overall a very nice allround bino, useful for birding (super close focus too), general nature observations and stargazing especially.
View attachment 1511486View attachment 1511487View attachment 1511488View attachment 1511489
Foot-o bomb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back