• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camera? (1 Viewer)

There’s a used Canon EOS 30D digital SLR with an EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens kit for £212 (used) on Amazon. From what you say I could get a better lens later - I notice they cost anything from £700 - £1200.

Just remember that this lens is worthless for birding, you will need one of those bigger and heavier lenses for that.

Niels

DSLR vs others

If the 650D for £549 comes with a lens it won't be one suitable for wildlife photography. Even second hand you are looking at £1,000+ for camera and wildlife lens. For £400-500 you can get either a very good compact camera with fixed lens (bridge/superzoom) or a DSLR with a basic lens NOT a full DSLR set-up

If I were you I'd go to a camera shop, have a look at the options and have a chat to someone.

We can begin saying, and im sure every1 agrees, photography is an expensive hobby no matter how you look it or what genre you intend to shoot, fullstop. Second, this is a bird forum, not a nature photography forum, so we thinking birds first, other wildlife second, hence the basis for my opinion. Thirdly, the original post by Plentiful specifically requests and I quote, "Which one would you recommend so that I can add a lens at a later date?" This, rules out a bridge camera. Ultimately, to buy and build on a system, you have to spend, no matter how much one wants to stretch that penny. I dont agree with the save today, spend more tomorrow philosophy cause one will eventually find the limitations with a bridge camera it will end up being expensive if you decide to upgrade. Having said that, im not trying to downgrade bridge-camera capabilities at all, as it is possible to produce excellent bird photos with them as one can see for themselves on these forums.

But there are serious limitations to consider (fixed lens, minimum shutter speed for long exposures and maximum shutter speeds for freezing action in bright light) much less so with Rebel/xxxD type camera which can provide a longer shelf life than a bridge camera. Besides, by having a decent DSLR body, one can hire and tap into a vast array of professional Canon lenses at very affordable prices, which will in turn enable you get a feel for those lenses and save up for the lens you prefer after having used it for some time.

I purchased a rebel T4i/650D in the US for £450 including delivery, camera bag and EF18-55lens (good for landscapes) making use of a special offer. You can prob now get it cheaper than that body only, and if frankly, one thinks that is expensive, considering the costs of wildlife photography, then there not much else I can say. On the long run, a good solid DSLR will prove its worth and end up being a sensible purchase.

Last edited:
Anyhoo, she looks at the photo and says "wow that's great...you must have a brilliant camera" ...
He says "This is lovely...you must have some great saucepans!"

Fantastic :t:

As has been posted enough times already, pretty much any of the new DSLRs will take fantastic pictures, even with a kit lens.
The obsession with "reach" is only semi-valid.
Yes the majority of our subjects are quite small and pretty skittish, but with a little fieldcraft and a lot of patience it is possible to get great results with the most basic of kit.
It depends on how much work you want to put into getting a shot.

The more noise and movement you make, the further away your subjects will be so the more sophisticated the equipment needs to be to compensate.

There's a wealth of great technical advice on here from some extremely knowledgable people but the best advice I've ever seen is that oft repeated "Get closer!"
It's also the hardest to do and can't be bought.

Would it be fair to say that a DSLR with a long lens requires a tripod, except perhaps for the most steady handed? Or even then?

If so - and I suspect that it is so - then that would entail both more expense and more to carry.

Which is why I reiterate my advice to look at some of the images posted on the Canon SX50 thread, and look at some of the comments from the people who own both the Canon and a DSLR set up.

David

Stabilisation

A good solid tripod is the best way to better photos for general nature photography. IS is good to have but not essential.

offer

I have an old Canon 400d and old 75-300 canon zoom lens and x2 converter which was a decent starter kit and I managed to take some good shots over a few years, used the body with a Sigma 150-500 as a back up, but no longer require it.
If you would like to try it out and possibly add a better lens you have it for the cost of post and packaging

PM if interested

My 1st DSLR was the 450d great camera pick them up for £250 on ebay used with standard lens, however you could pick up a the same camera minus standard Lens but with a Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM EF great starter kit for your budget.

My 1st DSLR was the 450d great camera pick them up for £250 on ebay used with standard lens, however you could pick up a the same camera minus standard Lens but with a Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM EF great starter kit for your budget.

Totally agree! Good starter kit with a dslr too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back