• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Golden Plover? Iran, Mazandaran, May 2022 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
In this picture, I counted about 28 Pacific Golden Plovers plus 2 Ruffs, is it right or some these Golden Plovers could be European?
I cropped main picture into three parts, to see details better.

Attachments

• 7K1A3365.jpg
    7K1A3365.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220517_134058.jpg
    20220517_134058.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220517_134122.jpg
    20220517_134122.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220517_134216.jpg
    20220517_134216.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 80
I only see Pacific Golden Plovers.
Dear lou,
As I was informed yesterday, some of our expert birders in IBRC, are in doubt of this record and they think these birds are possibly European Golden Plovers, not Pacific ones.
As I checked my Collin's Pdf file again, I found some matching keys with Pacific, which are clearly visible in my shots, such as: toes projection, grey-brown axillaries and underwing, also the wider white band beside the neck.
So, I would like to know your idea about which keys could be added to what I mentioned above(or improve my guess, if they are wrong), to prove that they are Pacific ones, not European?
Thanks.

Dear lou,
As I was informed yesterday, some of our expert birders in IBRC, are in doubt of this record and they think these birds are possibly European Golden Plovers, not Pacific ones.
As I checked my Collin's Pdf file again, I found some matching keys with Pacific, which are clearly visible in my shots, such as: toes projection, grey-brown axillaries and underwing, also the wider white band beside the neck.
So, I would like to know your idea about which keys could be added to what I mentioned above(or improve my guess, if they are wrong), to prove that they are Pacific ones, not European?
Thanks.
I agree with your points. In addition the extent of black to the vent is a clue, but more subjective and not as extensive as in Am Golden Plover.

Pacific is also a smaller less bulky bird and the wing beats are faster. But this is v subjective and difficult to pick out except in a mixed flock.

I am interested in you comments on range. PGP is the default species in the UAE, and EGP is very scarce there. These birds must move through the eastern Caspian region on migration from their breeding grounds. EGP breeds relatively far east in the tundra (would be interesting to know if an overlap with PGP) and migrates to the Eastern Mediterranean wintering grounds via the Caspian basin.

In short, based upon what seems to be published you should get both species in this part of Iran. However you must be on the edge of both migration routes. Any observations you can make may clarify the situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back