• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which of your binoculars are the most "delicious" ones? (1 Viewer)

Leica and Nikon EDG are strawberries and cream; Zeiss a green passion fruit, and Swarovski EL blueberries while SLC 42s are lemon drizzle. Sometimes Leica leaves me feeling like I've overeaten at a children's party though it was nice at the time. I'd be interested to hear how Meopta contributes to the menu tastewise!
I like that, and I agree! 😁🤣

On reflection and concentrating on the overall look through the glass, my winner is the Zeiss 7x42 T*FL. I like the deadly sharp combination of contrast, resolution, Abbe-König light transmission, and the cool, verdant tones. Not an easy decision as there is a lot of Olympian-standard competition in various formats but it's good if also complicated to have choices to suit almost every taste! To be honest, as with food and clothes, my choices can change on a daily basis but that Zeiss 7x all factors considered (it isn't perfect) ticks the viewing boxes that matter to me.

Tom

...the 7x42 UV HD+...its relatively diminutive size...with a 10x42 Noctivid and a 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus, I feel my needs are more than adequately covered.
Any chance of getting a picture of the two side by side? One of my friends has told me repeatedly that I need to get a 7x42, and while I don't know if that'll be happening or not, but I sure can't stop thinking about them lately. Maybe it'll end up being a 7x35 instead, which I've heard so much about.

On reflection and concentrating on the overall look through the glass, my winner is the Zeiss 7x42 T*FL. I like the deadly sharp combination of contrast, resolution, Abbe-König light transmission, and the cool, verdant tones. Not an easy decision as there is a lot of Olympian-standard competition in various formats but it's good if also complicated to have choices to suit almost every taste! To be honest, as with food and clothes, my choices can change on a daily basis but that Zeiss 7x all factors considered (it isn't perfect) ticks the viewing boxes that matter to me.

Tom
Me too. I've owned a few bins now, and it turns out I should have just purchased these from the outset. I won't be making that mistake again - hopefully both pairs will see me out!IMG-20220813-WA0003.jpeg

Any chance of getting a picture of the two side by side?
Hi,

Just related to the optics:

The picture in Noc. is a bit more immersive, you are "deeper" in the picture and the AFOV is noticeably larger.

The colors also seem a bit more saturated to me, more "old Leica style", the UV is more between an SF and EL in terms of color.
Maybe the UV is a little more neutral.
The Noc is a bit sharper on the axis, even if the UV is sharp enough, the edge sharpness as well, I don't see any significant differences in contrast, the stray light suppression goes to the Noc.

In terms of brightness, the UV has a very slight advantage, even during the day, due to the slightly higher transmission in the blue spectrum and overall less saturated colors.

The depth of field is of course better with the UV.
Both binoculars are very good, overall I would recommend a little bit the Noc.

As always subjective, another user can come to different conclusions.

Andreas

As always subjective, another user can come to different conclusions
I for one. Optics aside, for me it is the ergonomy that makes the decision in this case, the Ultravid being unrivalled in that respect IMO. The open bridge design is okay for my medium sized hands but I can't see how it would be an advantage over the UV design. Quite the reverse, I find the position of the focus wheel awkward to say the least. Also - and much to my surprise - I found eye placement to be rather tricky (very subjective, of course).

I don't want to say much about the optics because I only had the 8x42 Noct for an afternoon before I returned it (mainly for the reasons above). What I can say without further elaboration is that I really liked the Noctivid view but I couldn't say that either (Noct or UV 7x42 HD+) was "better". AFOV and the focuser are clearly better in the Noctivid, though.

P.S. I would have kept the Noctivid for a bit before I returned them, if it hadn't been for their appalling smell (they reeked of fags) and a burnt strap lug. They're back on ebay, same (professional) seller but increased price. They are advertised as mint. PM me if you want to avoid hassle (and smelly fingers).

I for one. Optics aside, for me it is the ergonomy that makes the decision in this case, the Ultravid being unrivalled in that respect IMO. The open bridge design is okay for my medium sized hands but I can't see how it would be an advantage over the UV design. Quite the reverse, I find the position of the focus wheel awkward to say the least. Also - and much to my surprise - I found eye placement to be rather tricky (very subjective, of course).
Yes that's right, the ergonomics are really better with the UV, you put the glass is your palms and everything is fine. ;)

Andreas

Last edited:
Most delicious, Leica 8x42 Noctivids. Then comes the other Leica’s.
Got a higher resolution pic that I could save? I've been interested in a side by side size comparison for a while so that I could better see how large the 7x35, 8x32 and 7x42 are in relation to each other. I'm assuming that's what the first three are?

Got a higher resolution pic that I could save? I've been interested in a side by side size comparison for a while so that I could better see how large the 7x35, 8x32 and 7x42 are in relation to each other. I'm assuming that's what the first three are?
I had to lower resolution to upload. I’ll try again here. If it doesn’t go through PM me your email I’ll send you a few.

Attachments

• AF793A58-329F-4151-8541-F70D72A23CD5.jpeg
    AF793A58-329F-4151-8541-F70D72A23CD5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 52
Is it just me or does anyone else think the Ultravids 'look' nicer than the more expensive Nocts
I like them all, but my favorite for looks is my 8x32BN, or the Ultravid 8x20BL!

That said, I'd still like to have a Noctivid someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back