• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Snipe - Okinawa, Japan (1 Viewer)

ger.thys

Hi,

What kind of snipe is this? I have it down as Latham's but could it be Pin-tailed? Both would be uncommon for summer in Okinawa I think.

Regards,

Ger

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0914_edited.jpeg
    IMG_0914_edited.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 79
Hi Ger,

Unfortunately I don't have the experience necessary to help you, despite living in Japan. However, my feeling is that Latham's goes south earlier than the others, so you might be OK with this - but I'd still want to see the tail spread.

Nonetheless, I wonder what leads you to go for Latham's rather than even Common - I have sometimes thought that I had found something unusual only to see from the white trailing wing edge in flight that it is just Common.

But mostly, I would be interested to hear what feature in your photos suggested Pin-tailed to you since almost no-one seems to think it is identifiable (or separable from Swinhoe's) without a clear view of the spread tail.

Hi MacNara,

Thanks for your reply. The overall feel of the snipes (there were at least 5 together in the rice paddy) was they were not Common. They seemed to big and beak too long for that. My friend's Merlin app says Latham's as most probable on the one pic, and Swinhoe's on another. I am no expert on either.

REgards,

Ger

Stating the obvious once again maybe: Expectation and sincere eagerness to observe new species can play funny tricks with most any birder... i have my fair share of stories to tell there.
Also software is not able to pick up subtle differences like between the Jp snipes.

I fear, as MacNara hinted, you won't get far without a tail and more plumage details.

Cheers and sorry
g e r b e n

Last edited:
Nonetheless, I wonder what leads you to go for Latham's rather than even Common - I have sometimes thought that I had found something unusual only to see from the white trailing wing edge in flight that it is just Common.
Covert pattern (narrow buff fringes) rules out Common Snipe - second photo can see the tail a little, and it's too short.

Shame the other East Asian species require a spread tail!

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back