• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Superzoom? (5 Viewers)

Hi all,
I am looking to get a new bridge camera to replace my old Lumix and am, as with most, attracted to the SX50. What has always frustrated me with this type of camera is the lack of a fast manual focus - the Lumix when I bought it had, I believed, one of the simplist but is so fiddly have given up trying to use it. Many times, when trying for example to take pictures of warblers in trees the auto-focus focusses on the wrong thing and would love to get a new camera with a fast , simple, manual focus.

Any comments on this greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

Morning Ken. Much as I enjoyed watching them for me, a single bird on a remote Welsh hillside is closer to my idea of birding nirvana.

Rich:t:

Understood, last week at Ironbridge, Shrops. I was sitting by the waters edge enjoying a cup of coffee, blissfully watching the odd Buzzard drift in and out of view across the gorge, ''another one'' I mused...as it turned and briefly showed a long tail!!!, duly whipped out the ''Bridge'' ramped it up to 30x...got it in the viewfinder, got it into focus...just as it disappeared behind the adjoining roof!

C'est la vie :-C

Crikey I'm confused. Every time I think I'm on to a decision about what camera to go for a review or comment has me back at square one. I think I've got to the point where my head is full.

If I describe me and my photo-habits maybe someone can advise me? I've never been a bird photographer, largely for the reason that I expect most folk havn't either - cost. However with digital superzooms now available I am finally tempted to start attempting some photos. I'm not looking to win Wildlife Photographer of the Year, what I would like is to be able to get some shots of birds in the field that enable me to geek-out on gull feather detail later on back at home...

My budget is £300ish. I see the Canon SX50 is a popular camera here on this thread and seems to be available for £250 HERE. However, a review HERE gave it a mediocre review and sent me back to square one.

The FujiFilm HS50 EXR seems to get a great REVIEW and is also sub £300. Does anyone have any experience of this camera?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Paul

I'd say - forget reviews and instead look at the photos which folk have taken with the Canon SX50 - the old maxim about a picture being worth a thousand words seems apt here....

I speak as a happy SX50 user - within the limitations of the small sensor it's capable of remarkably good photos at ridiculous distances.

Crikey I'm confused. Every time I think I'm on to a decision about what camera to go for a review or comment has me back at square one. I think I've got to the point where my head is full.

If I describe me and my photo-habits maybe someone can advise me? I've never been a bird photographer, largely for the reason that I expect most folk havn't either - cost. However with digital superzooms now available I am finally tempted to start attempting some photos. I'm not looking to win Wildlife Photographer of the Year, what I would like is to be able to get some shots of birds in the field that enable me to geek-out on gull feather detail later on back at home...

My budget is £300ish. I see the Canon SX50 is a popular camera here on this thread and seems to be available for £250 HERE. However, a review HERE gave it a mediocre review and sent me back to square one.

The FujiFilm HS50 EXR seems to get a great REVIEW and is also sub £300. Does anyone have any experience of this camera?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi Paul. My decision was based on budget and the individual threads relating to each camera on BirdForum. Whatever you choose these threads are also good for getting the camera set up.

Good luck with your choice.

Rich

My only experience of the canon was when with a birder last year. The battery life was poor. Something that persuaded me against buying it. I got the Lumiz fz72 - 60x optical zoom with 5x digital - massive.

I haven't used it as much as I would have liked and therefore not got to the bottom of all the functionality. However, it is a great camera but will never match a DSLR. I'm also a pretty rubbish photographer who takes a couple of shots and not one who spends hours searching the perfect shot.

One of the keys for me was speed of photo - i.e. pressing the button and getting a result. It was second fastest on paper. I have also used it as a telescope - I take a picture of a distant bird and can use that to identify bird!

I'm in the same situation as many people. I am looking at the SX40 price range and it seemes to be the best camera. Better than the HS20/30 and the FZ150.

Only downside I hear from it is that it is a bit slow and can get motion blur, which takes me thinking about going for a FX150...buuut another dilemma that the FZ150 doesn't have nearly as much zoom at the sx40 and zoom is important to me. I want to be able to just see a bird, auto focus quick n get a good snapshot (what everyone want's right?) without having to spend thousands on an SLR.

I'm not sure if there are newer models which are better but not at a super price increase?

I really want something that can shoot quick as I'm shooting wildlife and not still objects but also have at least 30x zoom.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation as many people. I am looking at the SX40 price range and it seemes to be the best camera. Better than the HS20/30 and the FZ150.

Only downside I hear from it is that it is a bit slow and can get motion blur, which takes me thinking about going for a FX150...buuut another dilemma that the FZ150 doesn't have nearly as much zoom at the sx40 and zoom is important to me. I want to be able to just see a bird, auto focus quick n get a good snapshot (what everyone want's right?) without having to spend thousands on an SLR.

I'm not sure if there are newer models which are better but not at a super price increase?

I really want something that can shoot quick as I'm shooting wildlife and not still objects but also have at least 30x zoom.

Hi GF. What price range are you looking at? There's some good offers around. When I was looking I vaguely recollect a Panny user saying the teleconverter worked well which would give you the zoom you're after.

I've met WHIMBREL (aka Bill) whilst out birding in Mid Wales and he's happy with his Panasonic.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back