• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Headed Marsh Tyrant spotted in New York State?? (1 Viewer)

Sarah East

United States
I have been a birdwatcher for over 20 years so when I saw a bird I had never seen before it definitely caught my interest. I moved to the Catskills region of upstate New York about 5 years ago so I thought maybe it was something familiar in this area that I hadn't seen. But I couldn't find anything like it in my Eastern Birds book of North America nor in my Norther American Sibley birds book. The only thing that looked anything like it was a male white headed marsh tyrant. We did have some extremely powerful winds here over the last few days so I am wondering if it's possible that the bird got blown off course and ended up here?

Hi there Sarah and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I miss the Catskills. We had a summer home up there growing up.
See if you can keep a camera or phone handy so you can get a pic of it if it shows up again. Fingers crossed for you :)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, can’t help with your question.

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I have been a birdwatcher for over 20 years so when I saw a bird I had never seen before it definitely caught my interest. I moved to the Catskills region of upstate New York about 5 years ago so I thought maybe it was something familiar in this area that I hadn't seen. But I couldn't find anything like it in my Eastern Birds book of North America nor in my Norther American Sibley birds book. The only thing that looked anything like it was a male white headed marsh tyrant. We did have some extremely powerful winds here over the last few days so I am wondering if it's possible that the bird got blown off course and ended up here?

It's almost certainly a leucistic bird, i.e. a common bird with abnormal partially white plumage. These are rare but several show up every year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back