• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who Are Our Nature Reserves For? (2 Viewers)

I thought the answer to the question is in the words "Nature reserve". In other words a reserve for nature. Human access is fine provided it causes no environmental problems or disturbance otherwise they should always be for wildlife first and humans second. For walking jogging ect we have country parks.

Spot on

John

Reserves are there for Wildlife and for people who wish to enjoy wildlife. If people are totally excluded from Reserves, most would close down. Most reserves need to make money in order to survive and to survive they need people visiting them and the local area (hotels, restaurants, shops etc.).

Last edited:
Basically reserves are designed to protect given area from commercial exploitation, human greed, so they are contradiction of money. But in some cases ... It also depends on definion of word reserve. Many areas can be called this way.

Basically reserves are designed to protect given area from commercial exploitation, human greed, so they are contradiction of money. But in some cases ... It also depends on definion of word reserve. Many areas can be called this way.

In an ideal world yes. However take the example of Kruger National Park which is a major tourist attraction and bring money into South Africa. If people were banned from that park in the morning and the Revenue was lost it would most likely be turned into a Hunting park or turned into grassland for cattle. With the exception of private nature reserves most Reserves need people/money to survive.

Many animals including most of all many birds are afraid of people and flee such places. But there are some exceptions. Certainly it depends on given circimstances.

I'll be dog-sitting in a couple of weeks time and I'll be hoping to visit Whiteford Point as long as it doesn't clash with the 6 nations and my ankle is up to it.

It will be interesting to compare thoughts. I can guarantee that she will be kept on the lead at all times and I will have a copious supply of cac bags with me.

Of course my feedback will remain my opinion and not fact just as yours remains your opinion and :Cnot:C fact. Might even see some ramblers etc. enjoying our countryside.

Rich
A very interesting and illuminating set of threads. From them we have learnt that the sole function of nature reserves and places designated as an sssi are for people to exercise they dogs and to allow their dogs to run out of control and to drive the wildlife away.

WRNWR Arkansas

Note WRNWR
White River National Wildlife Refuge . Arkansas US
Some of you may remember this area from less that 10 years back and the IBWO search.
In anticipation of spring migration season I visited the WRNWR this past Sunday(02/24/13) in an area just west of Maddox Bay and my heart stopped for a moment. The area was not recognizable as I remember. It was cut, not clear cut of all trees but more of a select cut of most trees. Sycamores seemed to stand out as those type of trees selected not to be harvested, maybe they stood out due to their white bark but they seemed to be passed over, some others also still stood tall but I am not sure as to their fortune. Noticeable was a birth, two car lanes wide of what appears to be a new access road that must originate from across Maddox Bay or North from St Charles but too far away for me to walk to and confirm. I realized that times are changing. Maybe I am wrong but it appears that the wild ecosystem is being replaced with a visitor and tourist friendly ecosystem.

Well I've just had a very enjoyable few days off. Visited the following areas (not all nature reserves):

Brecon Beacons National Park
Dryslwyn Bridge
Pembrokeshire Coastal Path
Welsh Wildlife Centre (Cardigan)
Ogmore
Newport Wetlands Centre
Goldcliff ponds
Penclacwydd WWT
Talley Lakes
Cors Caron

Absolutely zero issues at any site. Had a chat with a few photographers and other birders at various sites and all were decent sorts. Everyone was enjoying their hobbies. A few dog walkers around here and there - again no issues. Actually there were quite a few at Ogmore so people who don't like dogs may need to bare this in mind. In fact, the only annoyance I came across was one or two motorists who insisted on driving 40mph everywhere! IMO they cause frustration in other drivers who maybe tempted into taking unnecessary risks.

Facilities at Cors Caron, Penclacwydd, Newport Wetlands Centre and the Welsh Wildlife Centre were very good, particularly at the latter 3. Access was very good at all of these. Food was excellent at the Welsh Wildlife Centre and again, very good at Y Talbot in Tregaron. Only had the homemade burger but how many places in the UK ask you how you would like your burger done?

Hope everyone had a good Easter break.

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back