• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who are these cheeky chaps (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi all,

Request for ident please. The attached were taken on high moorland in Scotland in different locations. Possibly juveniles, there was a Stonechat nearby at one of the locations. All help gratefully received, thanks

Chris Baker

Attachments

• Guess-what-1.jpg
    Guess-what-1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Guess-what-2.jpg
    Guess-what-2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Thanks Folks,

That'll be my first Twite !! My RSPB field guide shows the Twite with a yellowy-brown neck with similar coloured markings on the back. That's what's thrown me (any excuse).

Thanks again,

CB

Hi Chris,

In summer Twite tend to have quite worn plumage which makes them look a bit darker than they do in autumn and winter when they have fresher plumage. At those times they look much more stripy on the back because the pale stripes are much broader than in summer (rather reminiscent of Redpoll). They also get a paler bill in autumn (a good distinction from Linnet). I would describe the plumage on the neck and face as looking a peachy brown sort of colour in all plumages - something noticeable on your photo.

chris baker said:
Hi all,

Request for ident please. The attached were taken on high moorland in Scotland in different locations. Possibly juveniles, there was a Stonechat nearby at one of the locations. All help gratefully received, thanks

Chris Baker
Lovely shots of tow super birds, Chris. I'm still practising my bird photography but would be pleased with those photos. The baby stonechat is an enchanting little chappie, I reckon, not unlike a young robin.

I was wondering - do you have "Save for Web" on your photo editing software? I ask because your two shots were very slow to download and this might have been because they were large files. If not, my Internet connection's on a go-slow!

Hi Steve,

Both thumbnails were saved for the web in photoshop, apologies for slow download. I'm on BT Broadband and despite this I can sometimes have a slow download, perhaps it's a function of internet use at the time.

CB

They loaded fine for me. However, BF seems a bit creeky this evening - a couple of times pages have failed to load at all - and I've had no problems with other sites.

scampo said:
Lovely shots of tow super birds, Chris. I'm still practising my bird photography but would be pleased with those photos. The baby stonechat is an enchanting little chappie, I reckon, not unlike a young robin.

I was wondering - do you have "Save for Web" on your photo editing software? I ask because your two shots were very slow to download and this might have been because they were large files. If not, my Internet connection's on a go-slow!
The Twite photo was 346kb, so, a trifle on the large size!.
But lovely photo's!

alan_rymer said:
The Twite photo was 346kb, so, a trifle on the large size!.
But lovely photo's!
I'm on a shared wifi connection but they still seemed slowish; maybe when you 'save to web' it might work to set the jpeg comprssion to 'high' or quality to 'low'. I do that and it seems to create a very good image of only around 50kb.

Morning All,

I've reduced size of attachments in an effort to keep everybody happy and wi-fi connections cool. Alas during editing thread the t'nails have changed order, so it's now Stonechat then Twite. Anyway, back to idents.
Thanks for the excellent info Andrew. Now could someone tell me what a 'tow' bird is?

CB

Hi Chris,

I'd guessed as much but forgot to insert a smilie. For a while back there I was back at school, just having a josh. :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back