• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who did this ? (1 Viewer)

Knight

Being a Power Lineman here in Canada our poles have a destructive enemy.

Guess who ?

This piece of pole is about 16 inches in diameter , it was a 4 foot deep hole.

These guys realy worked hard at cleaning this out but the knots were to hard lol.

Just tought you people would like to C this :)

Attachments

• Food or House.jpg
    Food or House.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Food or House1.jpg
    Food or House1.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Food or House2.jpg
    Food or House2.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 161
Knight said:
Being a Power Lineman here in Canada our poles have a destructive enemy.

Guess who ?

This piece of pole is about 16 inches in diameter , it was a 4 foot deep hole.

These guys realy worked hard at cleaning this out but the knots were to hard lol.

Just tought you people would like to C this :)

Can't believe a bird did that, was it some sort of weevil? termite?

Robin Pearson said:
Can't believe a bird did that, was it some sort of weevil? termite?

Pileated Woodpecker , they often make a nest in Hydro poles . We have one area wich we have changed the poles 3 times because of these woodpeckers.
Last time we changed them we left the old poles along side the new & they have not made holes in the new ones yet and thats about 6 years ago .

The bird here in the midwestern US which makes the most use of utility poles for nest sites is the Red-headed Woodpecker. It almost seems to me that they prefer these poles over naturally standing dead trees in some areas.

Must admit I thought it was going to be down to termites or smoe other wood boring insect.

Over here I have only ever seen a Green Woodpecker using a telegraph pole and then only to drum on rather than tying to bore a hole and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, but just as a perching point.

I see what they do in a short time on my trees as far as stripping bark. The patterning in this is amazing really.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back