• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are common names of birds capitalized? (4 Viewers)

particularly ornithologists, capitalize the common names of species, and are shocked (shocked!) when I correct those names to lowercase”

Can't say I have much respect for an editor who doesn't know the difference between "people who write articles about birds in popular magazines" and "ornithologists".

Last edited:
J

I am not a native speaker, but I like the capitalization, it makes things much easier to understand.

The person in question is also not a native speaker, as the language involved is English.

It would be interesting to know whether their editorial policy follows any textbook of English usage, even if it turned out to be an American English one rather than as laid down by the native speakers. When I was at school Fowler's Modern English Usage was the usual reference work, but somehow I don't seem to have kept up with whose authority is generally acknowledged since I left.

Personally I capitalise component parts of bird and mammal names (not to mention butterflies, moths and the Odonata) in exactly the same way, and utilise hyphens to aid precision, hence:

Lesser Black-backed Gull

Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel (don't ask me why I don't use hyphens for Ground-, Tree-, Flying-, Rope- or any other squirrel. I just don't. BTW the hyphens immediately preceding all indicate that something comes after the word, not that hyphens are required between the adjective and the noun.)

Brown Hairstreak

Black-tailed Skimmer

Its a minefield. Actually that should be mine-field but the contraction is in general use. (I mean use generally, not just by Generals. I hope that's clear.)

John 8-P

Personally I capitalise component parts of bird and mammal names (not to mention butterflies, moths and the Odonata) in exactly the same way, and utilise hyphens to aid precision, hence:

Lesser Black-backed Gull

Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel (don't ask me why I don't use hyphens for Ground-, Tree-, Flying-, Rope- or any other squirrel. I just don't. BTW the hyphens immediately preceding all indicate that something comes after the word, not that hyphens are required between the adjective and the noun.)

Brown Hairstreak

Black-tailed Skimmer

Exactly the same for me.

The person in question is also not a native speaker, as the language involved is English.

It would be interesting to know whether their editorial policy follows any textbook of English usage, even if it turned out to be an American English one rather than as laid down by the native speakers. When I was at school Fowler's Modern English Usage was the usual reference work, but somehow I don't seem to have kept up with whose authority is generally acknowledged since I left.

Lesser Black-backed Gull

Brown Hairstreak

Black-tailed Skimmer

Its a minefield. Actually that should be mine-field but the contraction is in general use. (I mean use generally, not just by Generals. I hope that's clear.)

John 8-P

And me. I wouldn't hyphenate Ground Squirrel because it's a Squirrel that lives on / under the ground not something Squirrel-like that lives on / under the ground. There again, I don't capitalise 'human'. Misanthropy?

Chris

The use of capitals for bird names was established formally in the United States by Kenneth Parkes (1978, Auk 95:324-326).

The general rule as advocated by non-technical style manuals used by newspapers holds that capitals are to be used only for proper names. Thus George Spelvin is capitalized because that is his individual proper name. But "man" is not capitalized because that's the group (species) to which he belongs. However brand names are considered proper. So Toyota is capitalized although it would seem not not be the name of an individual car.

Hyphens and plurals are another subject and off-topic in this thread. Does off-topic have a hyphen? How about anal-retentive? 8-P

I suppose you could argue that Ground Squirrels don't get a hyphen because they are not a natural monophyletic group, if you follow AOU name rules :)

and yes I use caps for herps and mammals too. And there has been some effort at standardizing common names for mammals, there just are not enough mammal interested people out there to make standardized mammal names err...well standardized

As an example, Siberian Thrush is the name of a species, whereas siberian thrush is any thrush in siberia.

So, why not just call it Siberia thrush? It's "Canada" goose, after all, not "Canadian" goose.

I capitalize bird names, and not those of trees, say, because I particularly like birds and wish to honor them and because doing so seems right & natural & looks good on the page. At least those are the only reasons I can think of this early in the morning! ;)

But, in more sober vein, I have to agree with Richard's explanation of the phenomenon (post #60), more's the pity, since I detest common-name standardization with all my heart!

Last edited:
And me. I wouldn't hyphenate Ground Squirrel because it's a Squirrel that lives on / under the ground not something Squirrel-like that lives on / under the ground. There again, I don't capitalise 'human'. Misanthropy?

Chris

Human is capitalised in Duff and Lawson! I would capitalise it in my notebook if I ever wrote it there. Perhaps if I'm ever doing a mammal big day?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back