• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can’t I find a store that stocks Zeiss SF? (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

This is really frustrating. I have been on the phone for an hour trying to find a store that stocks the SF so I can go and compare them to my NL. They stock Swarovski why not Zeiss? I am close to Indianapolis, Indiana so if anyone knows of a place please let me know.

Why not using social media, as FB or other, and find someone who own them ?... may be someone in the next street, or in your own town use those Zeiss...
And it could be a friendly meeting, and discuss... at least, that's what i'd do ;)

This is less than ideal but to do that kind of comparison I would recommend ordering from Amazon. Amazing return policy.

I sympathize with that. But don't waste time with the Zeiss website dealer locator, it doesn't show shops I know carry them in the Denver area. So there might be one near you too. Any astronomy shops there?

Last edited:
This is really frustrating. I have been on the phone for an hour trying to find a store that stocks the SF so I can go and compare them to my NL. They stock Swarovski why not Zeiss? I am close to Indianapolis, Indiana so if anyone knows of a place please let me know.
The closet retailer I could find to your location is Time & Optics in Millersburg, Ohio. No affiliation to them but have dealt with them in the past, honest folks.

I don’t really want to order them than have to send them back if that is what I decide. It’s not fair to the company when they can’t sell it as new.
Thats decently honest of you, I've found a lot of my so called "new" binoculars here in the uk have been opened and used already and are possible returns, its annoying as you are spending a lot of money for these alphas.
I understand this also from the perspective of a business owner, some would mark as open box and slightly reduce which is fair.
I would imagine a lot of binoculars are returned due to buyer remorse.

I don’t really want to order them than have to send them back if that is what I decide. It’s not fair to the company when they can’t sell it as new.
Not fair? The companies know their rate of return, they factor it into their business model and maybe someone will have the binoculars you returned in brand new condition with a rebate.
Think of this poor person who will have to pay sticker price because you did not want to try the SF.

P.S: that is of course if we think that they will not recondition them perfectly and sell them again for the same price.

In fact, you will never know if the binoculars you buy like new have not already been used sometimes... the seller will never say, no matter how nice he is !
We should actually ask him to bring 5 boxes, and choose by ourself, which we will never do, lol !

...May be someone will have the binoculars you returned in brand new condition with a rebate.
I really doubt that, lol ! Never will it be said, and the binoculars will be sold as new.
In fact, they are...almost !!!

I really doubt that, lol ! Never will it be said, and the binoculars will be sold as new.
In fact, they are...almost !!!
The whole problem comes exactly from our buying through the Internet almost exclusively. But what's wrong with "openbox"? It's still new as far as I'm concerned. We should not be overdoing it. Much more important that it is thoroughly checked before it goes back on the shelf. Otherwise we can't even expect having more than one box opened in the store. So how can we compare then? No chance of getting a cherry or avoiding a lemon.

In fact, you will never know if the binoculars you buy like new have not already been used sometimes... the seller will never say, no matter how nice he is !
We should actually ask him to bring 5 boxes, and choose by ourself, which we will never do, lol !

But is it the seller's fault that WE sent them back?
Some places have a restocking fee, and it does make sense that
we pay a price for a mistake or choice in buying.
(although many will disagree here)

edj

My first SF42s were a demo pair that I tried at a trusted dealers and when I indicated I liked the SFs he started to go and get fresh unopened box. I told him not to bother and took the demo pair. This had nothing to do with the 'demo with a discount' and everything to do with me liking the view and the handling of that pair.

Last edited:
I hear you, that’s why I said it’s less than ideal. If it’s a consolation sometimes you can find used items on Amazon that can be returned. There’s an open box SF 10x42 for example.

Rob,

Didn't you have the SF 10X42 previously, what NL are you going to compare to.

Rob,

Didn't you have the SF 10X42 previously, what NL are you going to compare to.
Andy,

Yes I had the gray version and really liked it but ended up trading it for my APM 100/90 ED Astronomy binoculars. I could hold the Zeiss perfectly still and they didn’t give my any fatigue when holding them up. I love the view in the 12x NL but from memory the ergonomics of the SF were perfect for me. Just wanting to compare side by side to see if I would actually like it better than my 12x. Also I have never looked through the black version. The big thing for me is no arm fatigue when holding them for extended periods. With the NL my arms will start to hurt after awhile. I know I am being picky but it is the little things sometimes that makes one a perfect fit. Optical quality of the NL 12 is spectacular that’s why I want to compare them side by side.

The closet retailer I could find to your location is Time & Optics in Millersburg, Ohio. No affiliation to them but have dealt with them in the past, honest folks.
This place is 4 1/2 hours from me so that’s not bad. I may have to drive one day to do that. Thanks

Rob,

Is it possible to keep both, so 8X 10X and 12X. A good group to have. I have many instances in using 12X over 10X so it is good to have both. I am still seeking a wide angle 10X42, but I have ruled out the NL.

My first SF42s were a demo pair that I tried at a trusted dealers and when I indicated I liked the SFs he started to go and get fresh unopened box. I told him not to bother and took the demo pair. This had nothing to do with the 'demo with a discount' and everything to do with me liking the view and the handling of that pair.
I would have liked to do the same when I bought my 8x32 FL. But it was not the dealer's demo model, so he could apparently not sell it to me. Result was a new one with the red coating that I should not have taken.

I don't think you'll find the view in a new black SF any different, so this boils down to ergonomics. An interesting question would be whether "fatigue" with NL is all about weight/balance, or perhaps extra effort trying to hold 12x steady vs 10x, and whether there's any way you could relax or reduce that.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back