• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is buying and collecting binoculars so addictive. (1 Viewer)

Those 6 cameras laying on the ground will get you at least 30 or more pairs of "ALPHA" Bin's. So it is all relative and this type of things are quite affordable by most compared to Super Cars, Yachts, Airplanes etc,etc,etc.. All that counts is if it makes you happy and mine does...
This is impressive. How would you compare your Z9 vs R3? I know those new VR TC lenses from Nikon are wonderful, and the Z9 is a very capable camera, but still you decided to keep both Canon and Nikon systems. I’m wondering why?
At one point of time I had the Sony A1 + 600 + 400 and the Canon R5 + rf600 + rf400. The Sony was clearly superior so I dumped the Canon’s long teles (kept the R5 since I still have other Canon glass). If I didn’t sell those two lenses - I wouldn’t use them anyway.

thank god I'm not into photography - I'm good with one low-quality point&shoot :)

Astronomy eyepieces though.....recovering addict here! I think I'm currently holding 25 of them, give or take, down from a lot more. They've been described as man-jewelry and they function as such. At least they're small and easy to buy & sell.

There are collections of cameras and lenses with over 30,000 items.

There are collectors of telescopes, eyepieces, watches, model railways, cars, aircraft, which far exceed the rather small collections of binoculars.

In fact there are collectors of most things.
I used to collect soap bars, crazy.

Usually the collections reduce in value over time.

Just buying cameras and lenses new in boxes is likely to be a diminishing value in real terms.
Modern cameras costing £5,000 or more will probably be almost valueless in fifty years.

There are very few items that increase in value.
Some Leica cameras, a few cars.
A few old lenses.
Especially old paintings.
Some paintings, that may be fake, fetch over £100 million.

In some cases items costing millions end up on ex gov sale for hundreds or thousands.

I don't know if collecting is a sickness, or therapeutic.

But binoculars are low on the list of collections.

Regards,
B.

Wow!

The one, criticism I would have, is that some of this stuff must lay around, unused for years and you can't even make it look nice in a display, just looks like a shop, stock room!

I've got well over a thousand books but at least they display well and I do, use, all of them regularly.
Andy, I have a few hundred books as well but for some reason I don’t consider myself a book collector, maybe that doesn’t make sense. My reasoning is that the books accumulated over a period of time and whr do,we do with them after we read them? I can’t throw them away, many if not most of them are technical or instructional in nature, things like investing, commercial endeavors, cosmology, some medical and legal books, some sports , equipment books on guns, Knives, optics and so on and so on. My wife mostly goes more into the novels and a lot of emotional literature.

For me the binoculars are like a never ending supply of equipment that becomes new again after a few months of non use. The books just gather dust after reading and get moved around so there’s more room for binoculars and their cases 😵‍💫.

Paul

I thought about this with my books, however, they will need to know what is worth, what?
in case of my demise I have a list of most of all my toys and equipment that has any value over $200. I have them in categories listed in no particular order. I list the manufacturer, the model, the approximate year manufactured and what the current values are in retail and wholesale numbers. Although I have many receipts from the purchases, I do not list the amount I paid for each item, got for bid. If I did my wife would be doing something other than crying at my gravesite. On some of the items I will make a small notation, concerning the rarity and or collectibility of the item , as well as if the item has/had any sentimental value to me. Two of my children probably wouldn’t wanna sell anything just because they were mine, The other two would be rounding the equipment up the day after my burial to put on eBay. 😳🙄. Just kidding, I think.

thank god I'm not into photography - I'm good with one low-quality point&shoot :)

Astronomy eyepieces though.....recovering addict here! I think I'm currently holding 25 of them, give or take, down from a lot more. They've been described as man-jewelry and they function as such. At least they're small and easy to buy & sell.
Hi my name is Paul , I’m an eyepiece junky. Guilty there Scott , Ive been in recovery for about ten years now. Although I own about 50-60 eyepieces now, I had over 200 at one point. I had multiple full sets of Zeiss Jena .96” oculars, Zeiss west Abbe orthos with the Barlow and wood display case as well as sets of Clave, Takahashi, Televue, Meade, Nikon and a few others I can’t remember.

I think it is a bit like telescope eyepieces. Each binocular has a niche and does certain things well. Once nice thing is that with binoculars you can actually use what you collect. If you collect those little spoons they are only for display and have no practical use. People tend to be natural collectors. We collect all kinds of things like rocks, stamps etc. We do it because it's enjoyable.

And I can stop anytime I want.

Leica Glass Ihave here has gone up about $USD 2500.00 each since I bought them however purchased only for the pure enjoyment of them and not investment..846023C7-9D37-4523-A6C3-A7FB70A8EE5B_1_201_a.jpegA4C16D8C-198A-40B0-9874-603DD17FC9E1_1_201_a.jpeg

This is impressive. How would you compare your Z9 vs R3? I know those new VR TC lenses from Nikon are wonderful, and the Z9 is a very capable camera, but still you decided to keep both Canon and Nikon systems. I’m wondering why?
At one point of time I had the Sony A1 + 600 + 400 and the Canon R5 + rf600 + rf400. The Sony was clearly superior so I dumped the Canon’s long teles (kept the R5 since I still have other Canon glass). If I didn’t sell those two lenses - I wouldn’t use them anyway.
Really not compared Canon to Nikon as the Canon is all new to me where Nikon has been with me longer.. I am also really keen one day to buy me a Sony A1 and 600MM F/4 Gmaster..

Living in a flat all the boxes for things have to go! I also have limited places for things to live! On the question of more binoculars or eyepieces… I have a binoscope which doesn’t help and I am not rushing to do a count!
Peter

Buying and collecting are addictive in general, for reasons that therapy should easily clarify (until you get addicted to therapy). With binoculars there also seems to be the interesting frustration of never quite getting exactly the combination of qualities you want.

To me the special appeal of optics has to do with the importance of vision, the mystery and allure of light itself, the history of optics, and in the case of cameras, the ability to preserve what you've seen -- which works with today's digital gear too, though I'm just not drawn to it the way I am to lovely chunks of glass and metal that will last forever. I've always had to resist the impulse to collect them, because collecting is always the same problem no matter what the object. So I've just kept a couple I've used that meant a lot to me.

I'm with Tenex on this. The appeal is of enhancing my vision in different ways for the enjoyment of nature in all of its different scales, weathers and lights.

An astro scope here, a spotting scope there and a couple of sets of binoculars is all I need for that although when my boy spotted a wolf spider carrying it's baby's yesterday I did think maybe he needed some Papillo's so maybe another set of bins wouldn't hurt - and so it begins again...

BulbMogul's house must be a house worth burgling 🙂

What's your address? 😅
I would think that that might even be more dangerous than burglarizing my house 😲. Between the dog, the booby traps, security cameras, and a fully armed occupancy , all with credible shooting skills would be very bad for one’s health. Not to mention neighbors in the event you visit when nobody is home. 😵‍💫.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back