• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is buying and collecting binoculars so addictive. (2 Viewers)

Well Hasselblad sure makes a pleasing looking Medium Format Camera System too.. This was a limited edition X1D 4116 in Matt Black caught my eye..:)View attachment 1523695View attachment 1523696View attachment 1523697View attachment 1523697
While Hasseblad is top quality...I don't believe they would ever win any design awards for appearance. Chunky is the adjective that comes to mind, whereas Leica's typically are more...refined or elegant in appearance. But - in essence who cares? Isn't it the image produced by the camera and user that makes us think of the camera itself as ...beautiful?😁

While Hasseblad is top quality...I don't believe they would ever win any design awards for appearance. Chunky is the adjective that comes to mind, whereas Leica's typically are more...refined or elegant in appearance. But - in essence who cares? Isn't it the image produced by the camera and user that makes us think of the camera itself as ...beautiful?😁
I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder..! Yah Leica just has that LOOK and I do agree.....

7F7033B5-6EE9-4613-A2CF-A13A4C725F8B.jpeg5BA91EE6-0C20-4FC7-9413-E32DF51A9607.jpeg
yes agree on the leica

Simple lines seem to comfort us - psychologically. It is a deep dive potential discussion, but in other "art forms" a common rule. I am a woodturner and the theme of simple lines, and un-broken curves seems to reign among the best turners in the world.

Attachments

• Spalted Peach Hollow form.jpeg
    Spalted Peach Hollow form.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 17%22 Cherry nat edge.jpeg
    17%22 Cherry nat edge.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 13
I might have bought a Leica camera this year, when I had a bit of money to spare, but the amazing zoom capabilities of the Nikon P1000 convinced me to go with that instead. The Nikon is certainly incredible for the features it provides. Its not ugly, but its not Leica, that's for sure.

Nikon.jpg

I think it could be fun to own the 1631 Barker/Lucas edition.
Original Gutenberg Bible would be nice. Costs around a million € though :oops: if one ever pops up for sale at all.
So I am mainly concentrated on getting as many different German translations as I can find.

When I win the Euromillions tonight I'll be buying a Hasselblad X2D plus 'a few' lenses 😉.

A dozen binoculars is (certainly for practical purposes) more than enough, in fact I reckon a select four would do for me.

Getting to my ideal handful of instruments took some experimentation and time, during which the fascination and addiction hit. The journey continues...

So I am mainly concentrated on getting as many different German translations as I can find.
Just looked this up; there were translations into German(ic) as early as the fourth century, and from the Greek. I always thought the medieval Church insisted on Latin, recited by priests.

I wanna see binoculars! No cameras!
There used to be a bit of overlap, in eyepiece adapters for SLR camera lenses. I remember Leitz used to make one, but they must have disappeared long ago.

I agree hobbies are critical to a happy life! When I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be a scientist when I grew up. Later, I found out you basically have to go to school until your early 30's to be a pro scientist....I hated school. I found out you could get a 4-year engineering degree and be done with school forever at age 22 so that's what I did. (now I realize you don't even have to do that...many of the world's most successful people quit school a lot earlier).

It took me longer to realize I could still be a scientist, as much as I wanted. It would be ideal to have a job you love so much you don't need anything else, but most of us don't have that.

Certainly looks like you’ve almost run out of places to hide them… why the barbecue lighter fluid… cleaning bins??

Peter

Certainly looks like you’ve almost run out of places to hide them… why the barbecue lighter fluid… cleaning bins??

Peter
No, that's just the fuel for the small indoor "fireplace" that's on top of the cupboard.
I have a few more stored in other places, plus the astrophotography equipment currently stored in the attic and a dobsonian 8" stored in the basement. But I rarely use it. I prefer binos for stargazing. But if I wanna have a closer look at the planets, the dobsonian gets some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back