• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will Black Cap Chickadees abandon a nest if one of the eggs breaks? (2 Viewers)

GSzealot

United States
Chickadees nested in my birdhouse and started laying eggs. Yesterday afternoon I saw two broken eggs on the ground. I haven't seen them in a couple of days. I think sometimes they take a break and don't return for a while so that would be normal but I'm wondering if they've abandoned the nest. What if only some eggs failed or were somehow broken and others remained? Will they abandon the nest? Will they try another unused birdhouse that's 15-20ft away? I've read that if a brood fails, they will not use that birdhouse or place again. That would be very disappointing.

Hi again ;)

Give it some time and see what develops. Is either the male or female coming back to lay on the remaining eggs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back