• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA small yellow-black-gray bird (1 Viewer)

I have a large pie cherry tree in my front yard that is covered in blooms right now. This is our 3rd spring in this house and the first time I've noticed this bird and it's behavior.

The behavior is that it is hovering by the blooms and eating something. It reminds me of hummingbird behavior, except that these birds are bigger and make it look a lot harder than hummers do!

Here's description:

Small, about the size of a tit or finch
Gray and black head and back and wings
Yellow stripe on the top of the head
Yellow above the tail and under wings
Two white stripes on shoulder/wing
Inverted black "V" on chest, with the rest of the chest being light gray

They are a little rounder in shape than the finches and tend to chase each other off a lot. If my camera wasn't on the blink, I'd take a photo and post it! They are very striking looking little birds.

Thanks,
Cindy
Salem, OR

Thank-you for the replies. I looked up photos of both birds and they are definitely Yellow-Rumped Warblers. I appreciate your input.

Thanks again,
Cindy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back